SASS Wire Forum

Let eliminate the overall top shooter!

Ace_of_Hearts

Every year about this time I look at the top matches and ponder.........

Why do we award a Top overall shooter?

By default, that shooter already has won his/her category! So we give them a second, bigger buckle?

Let's face it, the guy smoking up the joint has little chance to win a major match or even come in the top ten.

It seems to me that we should give just as much attention and praise to the person that wins his/her category.

What say you?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This comes up at least once a year. People always want to know "whose the best?" Best is usually associated with who was the fastest. When average spectators go to a drag race they don't care who had the fastest Yugo in F production. That want to know who had the fastest car, period. Same with SASS. Spectators and the press want to know who the "winner" was. If you want to discuss getting rid of top overall, you might as well throw in Rank Scoring and really beat the dead horse.

In most competition there are classes.

Trotters don't race against pacers and neither races against a Thoroughbred.

A miler doesn't compete against a sprinter and neither competes against a marathoner.

A high jumper doesn't ompete against a long jumper and neither competes against a pole vaulter.

Yet now one asks who was the overall winner!

In most competition there are classes.

Trotters don't race against pacers and neither races against a Thoroughbred.

A miler doesn't compete against a sprinter and neither competes against a marathoner.

A high jumper doesn't compete against a long jumper and neither competes against a pole vaulter.

Yet now one asks who was the overall winner!

None of the examples cited involve all competitors running the same course.

Is it about the second award? Even if you eliminated the Top Gun award.....everyone would still check the times/rankpoints to see who bested who. It ain't broke.....leave it alone.

KK

We aren't all Runnung the same RACE in CAS either !!!!

To run the same race assumes that all are competing,using the same Equipment on the same course with only PERSONAL ABILITIES differing !!!

This is Clearly NOT the case as the difficulty in shooting and winning while ducking and weaving to see the targets through the smoke is NOT THE SAME COURSE OF FIRE AS shooting lightly loaded non recoiling guns at clearly visible targets ...

Would you judge it the same course if in Shotput if one person was throwing a Shot weighing 5 pounds and one using a shot weighing 16 pounds ???

The distances thrown might be expected to differ, due to the difference in equipment even though BOTH ARE THROWING A SHOT FOR DISTANCE ....

And the differences in equipment and the unique challenges this brings to CAS are in great part what makes this game such fun,just don't pretend the Course is the SAME for ALL ....

Frontiersmen is a harder and slower way to compete in this game no matter how many ,,,,, Claim it ain't So ....

The overall winner won his Class ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and this is Great ,,,,, but then too did the Frontiersman .....

It is expected that the fellow using both hands to shoot lightly loaded guns with the latest MODS and not having to deal with a smoke-screen should win a timed match ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, That however DON"T MAKE HIM BETTER !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Seems like the folk who bring up this subject perinneally are those who CHOOSE to shoot in a class, or with equipment, which is less than optimal for success. The Best shooters Choose to use the best equipment, and Choose to shoot in the most competitive classes. If you want to compete with the big boys, then get better equipment, learn to shoot the course better, and compete in their class.

Everybody (except maybe you) looks at the score sheet to see who had the fastest time. Telling the announcers to ignore the top over all won't change that.

As for me, I KNOW I'm never gonna outshoot Justin Parker...heck, I'll never even outshoot Goody.

Well, I'm still so wet behind the ears that I'm dripping when it comes to this game, but if I may be allowed to offer my opinion.

I agree with Jabez Cowboy that suggesting all competitors are running the same race is ignoring reality. Something I pondered when I got into this game, coming from competitive trap shooting, was how it could be equalized somewhat. I came to the conclusion that it couldn't. At least it couldn't while keeping the unique flavor of the game that attracts so many of us. To do so would almost certainly drive away shooters. I then realized that I wouldn't want it equalized as trap is, for that very reason.

One possibility when it comes to "top shooter" would be to eliminate him (or her) from the category he shoots in, giving that award to the next highest score. I've seen it done in other competitions and it means one more person gets to walk home "a winner." Some would say it is just a second place trophy, and for some, it might be cheapened by that fact. I for one would be pretty happy walking away with a trophy or a buckle knowing the guy who beat me beat everyone else, period. Not that I see that day happening for me anytime soon, but you get the idea.

At any rate, just some thoughts as I sit and drink my coffee on a Saturday morning.

The great thing about this sport is you the shooter has the oportunity to set all kinds of different goals for youtself that does not effect other shooters. People are always going to want to know who finished first. That is the competitive spirit that made this country what it is.

Now in your case of not agreeing with the awarding of the top over all, you can always get up and leave the awards before it's awarded. That way you don't have to subject yourself to the pain of seeing who was the best that match.

Being top overall is a big accomplishment and should be recognized. How can you justify giving someone an award for being the only one in their category and then not award someone who beat EVERYBODY?

I duuno......sounds like a "give" the all the folks that play a trophy thing. While it sounds all warm and fuzzy it kinda' takes away the drive of a person to push to be the best and for others to admire that accomplishment. I like seeing who is the fastest shooter and everyone has the chance to shoot the way they can shoot the fastest if they choose. I admire their talent, dedication and hard work.......and I want to be like that as well.

If you don't care about winning that is the beauty of SASS you can just enjoy and shoot at any level you choose or compete in any in category you wish. IMO SASS goes plenty far too even the field and really too far. As a match director it seems like everyone that attends gets a first or second place award at every match because there are so many categories as it is.

Maybe I'm old school but IMO reward, admire and strive to be like those on top. :FlagAm:

somebody is 'the best' they deserve another buckle for it.

Sorry Cowboyfriend,

BBMcG said it best!

I am no where near the top (not even top half), yet I'm always curious who won, who is the best of the best.

As long as I see two folks in a two person category getting awards, there should be room in the budget for No. 1.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I duuno......sounds like a "give" the all the folks that play a trophy thing. While it sounds all warm and fuzzy it kinda' takes away the drive of a person to push to be the best and for others to admire that accomplishment. I like seeing who is the fastest shooter and everyone has the chance to shoot the way they can shoot the fastest if they choose. I admire their talent, dedication and hard work.......and I want to be like that as well.

If you don't care about winning that is the beauty of SASS you can just enjoy and shoot at any level you choose or compete in any in category you wish. IMO SASS goes plenty far too even the field and really too far. As a match director it seems like everyone that attends gets a first or second place award at every match because there are so many categories as it is.

Maybe I'm old school but IMO reward, admire and strive to be like those on top. :FlagAm:

+1.......

Guest Texas Jack Black

None of the examples cited involve all competitors running the same course.

Running the same course some driving volkswagons while others drive Corvettes

Guest Texas Jack Black

Being top overall is a big accomplishment and should be recognized. How can you justify giving someone an award for being the only one in their category and then not award someone who beat EVERYBODY?

The dead horse is alive and well.We all know TOP OVERALL is the feelgood award .We keep it so some can feel warm and fuzzy all over. :lol:

I start disagreeing when the top shooters of many categories start getting disparaged. Some of these guys are so super dominant in their respective categories that they will give top overall shooters from the Traditional style a bit of a run for the money. Never think that the top Gunfighters, Frontiersmen or most of the other category champs are just losers looking for a hole. Many of these guys do put in the work and sacrifice BUT they choose a different mountain to climb because it is often actually tougher than the most open competitive class. Yes I respect the discipline that is required to reach the top overall slot but, for sheer entertainment, Ill pick several other shooting styles as more interesting to watch a top shooter performing. One last thought, I do see much more interest, WIRE conversation and name recognition concerning some of those 'other' champions now days and some even spark the question "will their style ever win overall?". One gent, whom I have never met, comes to mind, Lassiter is now probably as recognized a name as many of the OA Champions of the recent past. Ill walk past the 'fast gun' bay to get to where the top shooter is doing Frontiersman in the Gunfighter style all day long, just plain and simple more viewer interest!

A local match did that a few years ago (overall was won by a Senior GF!). Some haven't been back. Folks want to know who won. It's human nature. And the amount of work and dedication required to get to that point ought to be recognized. Overall isn't always won by the same category shooter either.

Guest Texas Jack Black

A local match did that a few years ago. Some haven't been back. Folks want to know who won. It's human nature. And the amount of work and dedication required to get to that point ought to be recognized. Overall isn't always won by the same category shooter either.

Could you tell us how many times TOP OVERALL has been won by other than a shooter shooting two hand or Black Powder or say cap and ball at a MAJOR match??

Why do we award a Top overall shooter?

What say you?

I say let's just use cap guns and those toy rifles that make the popping sound!! No one really cares who shoots fast or clean anyway! :o:wacko:

The dead horse is alive and well.We all know TOP OVERALL is the feelgood award .We keep it so some can feel warm and fuzzy all over. :lol:

Thanks for setting me straight. Here I always thought that all these made up catigories were the warm and fuzzy ones. If it wasn't for the strength of the competition in some old original catigories a lot of these new catigories would not even be around. So thank your lucky stars for those no good cheaten two handed shooters.

Guest Texas Jack Black

Thanks for setting me straight. Here I always thought that all these made up catigories were the warm and fuzzy ones. If it wasn't for the strength of the competition in some old original catigories a lot of these new catigories would not even be around. So thank your lucky stars for those no good cheaten two handed shooters.

I totally agree

Sure, we all know the top shooters in Frontiersman COULD be top gun if only they competed in the same class with all the other fast shooters. And all those 90-pound girls COULD win the decathalon, they merely CHOOSE to compete in floor exercises, balance beam & uneven parallel bars... <_<

Archived