SASS Wire Forum

Remington 1911 R1 Centennial

Well I went out & bought one today and plan on shooting it in Wild Bunch. Anybody else shooting a Remmie? Not the ones produced during WWII. This one is really tight. It came with a pistol smith tool & belt pouch & two 7rd mags. The tool is similar to a Leatherman except the "pliers" is actually a bushing wrench.

I'm itching to get out to the range & try her out but that's going to have to wait till I get this bum knee taken care of.

Here's a pic of the Remmie. http://www.1911r1.com/Products/Firearms/Model-1911-centennial.aspx

I've had an R1 for over 6 months now. I'm still breaking it in with hardball. After several hundred rounds it has yet to choke even once. Very accurate, much more so than my RIA and my AO. Only problem I've had is the rear sight came loose, better check yours. Heard others were loose too.

Just a slight correction Colonel. Remington didn't make any 1911s in WWII. The Remington Rands were made by a typewriter company of that name. With no kinship to Remington Arms Co.

Before the R1 Remington Arms hadn't made a 1911 since WWI. Luv my R1 and would dearly love to get one of those Centennial models but that will have to wait now. A Ruger 1911 is head of the lust list.

My dad has a Remington 1911 made in 1943...but it is a Remington Rand , the Typewriter firm, and not the Remington Gun Company we all know...

I rather have the Colt......

I've had an R1 for over 6 months now. I'm still breaking it in with hardball. After several hundred rounds it has yet to choke even once. Very accurate, much more so than my RIA and my AO. Only problem I've had is the rear sight came loose, better check yours. Heard others were loose too.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definately check mine before I take it to the range. Have you tried any lead or JHP in it?

Just a slight correction Colonel. Remington didn't make any 1911s in WWII. The Remington Rands were made by a typewriter company of that name. With no kinship to Remington Arms Co.

I don't know what I was thinking LD. I knew that. I guess I was having one of those senior moments.

I've been shooting cast bullets in mine. It is REALLY touchy. Has to be COMPLETELY cleaned every couple of hundred rounds or the slide will not go forward.

Actually, that sounds like your reloads could be right on the edge of being out of dimension. Checked ammo against a cartridge gauge?

Of course, taper crimp has to be right, no base bulges, right size cast bullets (.452) and dies properly adjusted.

Cast bullet loads are messy, the lube blows back into the slide and "bolt face" after a few hundred rounds. But most guns it won't stop feeding for several hundred rounds.

Good luck, GJ

No I have not tried any HP or RNL. After I get thru a few hundred more hardball I will try some assorted HP I have laying around. Then I will clean all the copper from the barrel and try RNL. After it gets started on RNL that is probably all it will see thereafter forever.

I have no doubt in my military mind the R1 will handle both with aplomb.

230 grain RNL cast bullets from Bulletworks in Breckinridge Tx and using either Bullseye or Unique and check EVERY bullet in a chamber checker...my $300 new 1911 made by High Standard will run all day with no jams hickups or any cleaning. I have purposely not cleaned it for months...after 3-4 matches shooting 100+ each match...guess it depends on the cartridges and maybe I got lucky on the pistols..(got 2 of them)

I do put a few drops of lube on the slide rails..but nothing else.

the R1 cost twice as much..should run twice as good. good gun

Archived