SASS Wire Forum

Two Buckles are better then one

El Muerto Negro

Hey Pards

There are two threads 1 about changing style to compete for a buckle and the other

to see how many gunfighters have won state championships. Ive been thinking for some

time why not two buckles 1 for the overall supported shooter the other for the overall non supported shooter.

No need to change categories everyone shoots what they want with the recognition they deserve for there hard work.

You could give buckles for both overall or just state. What do you think?

El Muerto Negro

Hey Pards

There are two threads 1 about changing style to compete for a buckle and the other

to see how many gunfighters have won state championships. Ive been thinking for some

time why not two buckles 1 for the overall supported shooter the other for the overall non supported shooter.

No need to change categories everyone shoots what they want with the recognition they deserve for there hard work.

You could give buckles for both overall or just state. What do you think?

El Muerto Negro

What is the problem you are trying to solve? I have not yet heard from a shooter fast enough to win a state or higher match complain be he or she one or two handed.

Sorry if I was not clear what I meant is that in most places the supported shooter Wins the buckle ,Not all but most. Now I'm not an expert Ive only been shooting a few years. But am I wrong in saying that if two equally talented shooters shoot the one that shoots with two hand wins. Now that being said would it not be appropriate if both were recognized and giving a buckle. You could recognize the top supported and non supported shooter.

El Muerto Negro

Sorry if I was not clear what I meant is that in most places the supported shooter Wins the buckle ,Not all but most. Now I'm not an expert Ive only been shooting a few years. But am I wrong in saying that if two equally talented shooters shoot the one that shoots with two hand wins. Now that being said would it not be appropriate if both were recognized and giving a buckle. You could recognize the top supported and non supported shooter.

El Muerto Negro

The often used "choose your category wisely" comes to mind here. If two equally talented shooters both wanted to be the overall state champion it would seem they would pick the category they can shoot fastest in. Actually the fastest shooter might want to try B Western as that category allows the shooter to use the type of pistol shooting that is fastest for each stage as written. So which of your two state championships would a B Western shooter compete for since he can vary from two handed, duelist or gunfighter stage by stage? And yes I do know B Western competitors that have won State Championships and above.

Overall to me means over all, out of everyone, every style and category. Will that be a two handed shooter? In the past maybe so, but more and more it's not a done deal. In the past it was thought that a black powder shooter couldn't compete, again, that is no longer the case if it ever was so. IIRC at Comin at Cha 2010 the top three consisted of a two handed shooter, a duelist, and a black powder shooter, and the distance between them in the final scores was very small.

Here is a pic of just part of the awards tables at Comin at Cha the Southwest Regional. As you can see each category champion received a very nice award box, and buckles were awarded 10 deep in some categories. For a big match there can be alot of money tied up in the awards. Smaller State championships or club annuals with less vendor support of volume discounts may not be able to afford alot of fancy awards.

On the surface it may seem like 'what's one more buckle' but it can quickly snowball.

I guess the bottom line for me is this: if a person's main priority is winning a championship, then they should choose their category, and shooting style to give them the best chance to do that given their own skills and the competition. And then practice, practice, and practice some more.

YMMV

Cause in the Old West there was the fastest gun and the dead guy!!!

And the dead guy don't need no dang Buckle!!

BH :D

That's funny......plus the Dead guy probably lost his hat, gun, boots, horse and saddle.....you should be happy you don't leave necked if ya' lose!

Archived