SASS Wire Forum

winchester 97 recoil pad

I want to add a recoil pad to a 97. The wooden stock is not straight so I guess you could shorten it and get something soft to fit the curve or cut it and put on a pad with a plastic base. I figure I will shorten the stock either way to get the length of pull right. Thanks in advance amigos,

Slim

I got me an old Winchester 97 from hud. It had an old rubber cushion pad on the end that was about to rot off. So we took it off and I got a replacement buttplate from Dixie Gun and installed it...

The Featherlite clone loads I use there ain't much need for cushioning the stock....

like ol Big Jake says.....just sayin...

curley

Shorten stock so that it is 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter, with pad installed, thatn what you woudl shoot for a sporting gun. And cut at about 5 degree angle (so the toe, bottom of stock, is closer to the action than the comb). This will help you get on ground targets much quicker and more reliably.

Limbsaver Grind to Fit! A "prefit" won't work if you have shortened the stock or have a curve you have to remove.

Good luck, GJ

Limbsaver #10111 $30. I cut to fit door shims to fill the difference between the curved stock and the flat limbsaver. Covered it up with a leather butt cover custom made 1" longer by Slapout. (just google Old slap out holsters). Mr Slapout didn't even charge extra and is quite a nice guy to deal with.

jb

Archived