SASS Wire Forum

Well, now that tears it.

My string trimmer is busted. Only had it elebenty eleben years. Thing jus quit. Figure it don't owe me nuttin so I guess I am off to look at new ones.

Anybody got any suggestions. Got a big area to cut and trim. Need heavy duty. No electric for this cowboy.

Roundup! :) Generic is glyphosate. Won't have to worry about trimming.

Knowing that would be asking for trouble I've found most any with a straight shaft and keeping Stabil in the gas makes for a long life. My next one will probably be a Stihl.

By the way, sometimes those little plastic gas lines get cracks, leak air, and even King Kong can't crank it. Try replacing before you chunk it. Have had to do this on several things like chainsaws, trimmers.

I was looking at an ECHO. Only problem is that the model I looked at came with a bump and go head.

I hate those things. I spend more time trying to untangle them than I do cutting. The busted one has a

redeaux head that takes the single line inserted in each side of the head. When it breaks, you just pull it

out and insert a new string into it.

You can replace the head with the kind I like but that is another $30.00 bucks or so, and then if you want a

brush cutter it is more $$$$s. I am getting real sick of this new Marketing ploy that they are trying to pull off. <_<

I've been happy with my Stihl (RS-90 - I think). It can take either the string head or a cutting blade for heavy brush (sold separately, of course). One caution - you must use non ethanol gas with the Stihl - don't ask me how I know ($75 carburetor).

I've been happy with my Stihl (RS-90 - I think). It can take either the string head or a cutting blade for heavy brush (sold separately, of course). One caution - you must use non ethanol gas with the Stihl - don't ask me how I know ($75 carburetor).

+1 on da Stihl !!!

Badger, if'n ya got a lot of land ta cover this would work well along with Roundup....it's what I use

http://www.tractorsupply.com/countyline-reg-deluxe-spot-sprayer-25-gal-capacity-2137081

Well, with all the critters I got in my yard and the dog and all, I am hesitant to spray with chemicals.

The string trimmer thingy works just fine. I just need a trimmer.

I think I will go back tomorrow and get the ECHO and the add ons. He77, it is only money and I can't take it with me. The Ryobe I had, I bought about fifteen years ago. It was a closeout and it had interchangeable

heads. Never used the interchangeable feature. I did have to patch it together a few times and I had to buy the

add on head to replace the bunp and go. Dang I hate those things. :wacko:

My string trimmer is busted. Only had it elebenty eleben years. Thing jus quit. Figure it don't owe me nuttin so I guess I am off to look at new ones.

Anybody got any suggestions. Got a big area to cut and trim. Need heavy duty. No electric for this cowboy.

Buy a goat... then when he is big and fat you can havea BBQ at your place for all of us. Yep, a goat would look great at your house.. lol

Buy a goat... then when he is big and fat you can havea BBQ at your place for all of us. Yep, a goat would look great at your house.. lol

I AM THE GOAT AT MY HOUSE!

Albeit an old one. :(

Mostly dandelions. At least in my yard. Some moss too.

That is the fun stuff.

For real grass we got crab, fescue and maybe a touch of Ky Blue.

But it is mostly GREEN.

For decorations and flowers we got buttercups, dandelions, and blackberry.

I have two Stihl trimmers that hae seen a LOT of use at the range. I have the 550 that will eat up just about anything short of a tree, and I have the 110 which is good for home use. No experience with the Echo.

Bama, that caution is true for ANY of them, no matter the manufacturer. I know, I sold ECHO products for Home Depot for 3+ years. I do know, ECHO has the best warranty in the industry on all their products. All other manufacturers offer 1,2, or 3 year warranties for consumer use, and only 90 days for commercial use, ECHO offers 5 year consumer, 2 year commercial warranty.

Slackwater

I've been using the same Echo for eighteen years - mostly on a 2 1/2 acre spread, and it's been a dandy. Have had to rebuild the carb a few times, but that's simple.

Whatever machine you get, be sure it's a straight shaft.... those "cute" li'l curved shaft rigs might look dainty and all, but just cannot get into a lot of places.

I've been using the same Echo for eighteen years - mostly on a 2 1/2 acre spread, and it's been a dandy. Have had to rebuild the carb a few times, but that's simple.

Whatever machine you get, be sure it's a straight shaft.... those "cute" li'l curved shaft rigs might look dainty and all, but just cannot get into a lot of places.

That is what I have heard. Have you had any issues with the string binding in the head with the bump and go heads? Or did you change it out like I did?

That is what I have heard. Have you had any issues with the string binding in the head with the bump and go heads? Or did you change it out like I did?

Badger, the Echo's bump head is designed differently than the Ryobi's, and works much better. I never had anyone return one for issues with the bump feed binding. All of the straight-shafts that were carried in the store I worked didn't have the bump-feed heads on them, but the ones that you inserted the two pieces of string opposite each other.

Slackwater

I rarely have the string bind on the Stihl head, but I love the bump and go feature.

My Stihl is over 20 years old... I have cleared miles of fence line with it, waded into vine maple or black berry patches over 8 feet high and whittled em down with no problem (with a star blade on). Low maintenance, and the string trimmer is centrifugally fed (just rev the engine and more line comes out)and it holds about 18' of line and if you're careful, and not working up against a fence it can last two or three tanks of gas. When I replace it, it will be with one as close to it as Stihl sells now!

I think the solution the whole thing is to get somebody to come over and cut the weeds for me. :)

I will supply beer. (After the job is done) :lol:

I appreciate all the information you guys have given me. I think that I will do a little more comparison shopping on Monday and then make a move, come home and cut the dang weeds. After my Doctor's appointment. Dang, no rest for the wicked. :blush:

Wait wait wait! Stihl makes weed whackers, too?!?!?!? I'm lovin' my Stihl chain saw (what they're famous for), and have described it as "the light saber of chainsaws." You have to be a Star Wars nerd to get that, but that's ok. When my Craftsman weed whacker crashes I think I'll look into that Stihl (btw, I haven't had any problems with the Craftsman, but their quality control has gone to junk over the last decade).

Just got done mowing and was going out to wack weeds. I've got a Ryobi that works O K, except for the bump thing. Before all the neighbors moved in, I'd just bring the horses home for the weekend. Now I'm surrounded by retired people who mow every other day and want a golf course type yard. I don't get it.Ground is mostly sand. I ntend to mow it short when it's ready to bale and hope it turns brown and dies.

Well, I have had two Ryobis in the last twenty to twenty five years. The second one was more high end but less QC than the first one. I was not impressed with the design of either one, but the second one just kept on keeping on. I had to patch it several times because I could not get parts for it. Go figure that one out.

So I figure that if they want to keep coming out with new models and forget about the older ones, I will buy a new one from somebody else. I can be a horses behind too.

:angry:

Quit trying to shave with it, it might last longer :P

TF

Roundup! :) Generic is glyphosate. Won't have to worry about trimming.

Knowing that would be asking for trouble I've found most any with a straight shaft and keeping Stabil in the gas makes for a long life. My next one will probably be a Stihl.

By the way, sometimes those little plastic gas lines get cracks, leak air, and even King Kong can't crank it. Try replacing before you chunk it. Have had to do this on several things like chainsaws, trimmers.

I agree on the Stihl.

Archived