SASS Wire Forum

Gun dreams about

Slowhand Bob, 24229

As I sit here penniless and weigh ideas that I can not afford anyway, perhaps I can draw others into the insanity. The basis of this post is related to the recent WIRE and Chronicle articles on Colt style Conversions. Lets start with what I have and progress towards what I wish for.

I have a nice pair of the really early Cimmaron RM Army conversions that came in 44Colt caliber and I had them rechambered to 44spec. The two things I would like to change most and will be the most expensive to accomplish are grip assemblies and shortening barrel length. Army size grips are just not right for me but the change to Navy sized is pretty expensive when you figure a complete three piece assembly. I do currently have one extra extra Uberti SAA grip assembly that could be applied toward the project. Im sure I could just whack the muzzle down to a ruff five and a half inches but alas thet still leaves me in need of front sights? This would suggest a need to probably just send it to a real gunsmith for the barrel work. Last but not least tool up for loading 44Russian for these guns and just wish they had been originally purchased in 45Colt.

An alternative that is closer to my idea of a dream Conversion is based on the short barrel Pieatta '51 Navy .44 c&b. This would be pretty straight forward with the .45 caliber Kirst Conversion parts and milling the recoil shield. Pretty much buy the parts and send the whole affair to the right smith to put it together right. These are definitely my favorite handling cap and ball pistols in .44 and a second pair as a .45 Conversion set would be great since the C.45S is my favorite cowboy pistol cartrige, I load it for several other existing pistls.

Though both dreams would be pretty expensive I have little doubt that the Pietta route would definitely cost the most up front. One reality is that I seldom settle for second choices for very long and this can the most expensive route of all! I do wonder if anyone has an idea as to the lowest ser numbers for the Cimmaron R/M Conversions? Im thinking mine were out of the first shipment but am not sure now.

You and I must be sleeping around the same time because I tend to have a very similar dream.

I too love the conversions and very much prefer the navy grip. I have been seriously pondering 1860 army conversions with grips changed out to navy grip frames.

The one thing I like in a conversion is to keep the original C&B loading lever. Something that you don't see in a factory conversion for the 1860.

All it takes is time and money. And I am strapped with too little of each right now.

As I sit here penniless and weigh ideas that I can not afford anyway, perhaps I can draw others into the insanity. The basis of this post is related to the recent WIRE and Chronicle articles on Colt style Conversions. Lets start with what I have and progress towards what I wish for.

I have a nice pair of the really early Cimmaron RM Army conversions that came in 44Colt caliber and I had them rechambered to 44spec. The two things I would like to change most and will be the most expensive to accomplish are grip assemblies and shortening barrel length. Army size grips are just not right for me but the change to Navy sized is pretty expensive when you figure a complete three piece assembly. I do currently have one extra extra Uberti SAA grip assembly that could be applied toward the project. Im sure I could just whack the muzzle down to a ruff five and a half inches but alas thet still leaves me in need of front sights? This would suggest a need to probably just send it to a real gunsmith for the barrel work. Last but not least tool up for loading 44Russian for these guns and just wish they had been originally purchased in 45Colt.

An alternative that is closer to my idea of a dream Conversion is based on the short barrel Pieatta '51 Navy .44 c&b. This would be pretty straight forward with the .45 caliber Kirst Conversion parts and milling the recoil shield. Pretty much buy the parts and send the whole affair to the right smith to put it together right. These are definitely my favorite handling cap and ball pistols in .44 and a second pair as a .45 Conversion set would be great since the C.45S is my favorite cowboy pistol cartrige, I load it for several other existing pistls.

Though both dreams would be pretty expensive I have little doubt that the Pietta route would definitely cost the most up front. One reality is that I seldom settle for second choices for very long and this can the most expensive route of all! I do wonder if anyone has an idea as to the lowest ser numbers for the Cimmaron R/M Conversions? Im thinking mine were out of the first shipment but am not sure now.

Sendin' you a P.M.

You'll have to buy the grip frames,But: You can put in the front sight pretty easily. Dixie Gunworks had a method in their catalog several years ago (It's probably still in their new catalog).

Using a hack saw cut two grooves about .090" deep in the barrel a distance apart matching the width of a rifle sight. I used Rossi rifle sights that I got from Nate Kiowa Jones (Steve Young). Then file out the rest of the area between the grooves leaving a rectangular groove. Using a triangle file with one side ground smooth, smooth side down, cut the dovetail to fit the sight. Drive in the sight and you're done.

You might want to practice first on an old piece of barrel or a round bar. It's not nearly as hard as it sounds.

The other way is to do it on a milling machine with a dovetail cutter, which is not as easy as it sounds.

P.M. wouldn't go through. Anyways, I gots a 1860 with the navy grip assy and it's way too small fer my big ol' ham hands. I'll swap even if you're interested. Trigger guard and all!

I waz pretty lucky I bought about every gun I wanted before I retired....(I even have 7 Great Western 2s)

About the only gunz I "dream" of rightnow would be the Cimmiron Doc Holliday rig, and a trapdoor carbine..

I most likely could afford them, but just can't seem to "justify" them..

curley

Ohoooooooo. A nice pair of Richards 1st Model 1860 & 1851 Conversions, built by one of the better gunmakers, dead reliable and AFFORDABLE.

Curly,

Don't have to justify ......... just want is sufficient.

Coffinmaker

I dream that some gun manufacturer will put the Volcanic back into production. I'd pay quite a bit for the chance to shoot one. It'll never happen, though, because it would require the unique and otherwise useless "Rocket Ball" ammo to go with it.

My other dream is that the Merwin and Hulbert reproductions will be released before I am old and gray.

-Solo Sam

My other dream is that the Merwin and Hulbert reproductions will be released before I am old and gray.

-Solo Sam

Sam, some of us didn't make it. <_<

I'm holdin' out for a pair of Americans in 44 Russian. :rolleyes:

Just hopin' the grandkids aren't droppin' 'em in the ol' pine box with me. :D

Two Winchester 1885s, one in .45Colt and the other in .32-40. 1 each 1873 "Brush Popper" rifles in C45S, .45Colt and .38Spl. 2 3rd Gen Colt SAAs in .38Spl & 4-¾" bbls. And the list continues grow!

Two more Wnchesters for my collection:

1- 1885 original High Wall in .45-60, 24" half-oct barrel, straight-stock, single-set trigger, camp rifle with ability to reach to 300 yards, done by Turnbull

2- 1866 original in shooter condition, 24" oct barrel, bolt replaced with modified Uberti centerfire bolt to shoot .44 Russians with BP loads (I believe that this would be a very easy project but the initial $4000 or more for the rifle is problematic)

I made a trade and now have Navy grips on both of my Army frame R/M Conversions so will now be looking towards barl shortening and obtaining some 44 Russian brass. I was contacted by someone who needed some used leather and had a handle assembly to swap fer it. I think I would prefer to keep the orriginal style sights and will no just try to budget sending the guns to a smith for the barl work.

Archived