SASS Wire Forum

Category Change

Creeker, SASS #43022

I am considering changing from Gunfighter to two hand supported and am looking for folks with experience doing the same.

First - Did you see significant differences in your times with your change?

Improvement or decline? And how long until you felt as skilled in the new style?

Second - Coming from a Gunfighter background and being used to a Left hand/ Left gun - Right hand/ Right gun method.

Did you continue that method supported or are you shooting both pistols strong side?

Third - As Gunfighters, we thumb cock as we bring the pistol from holster to eye level.

As a supported shooter, are you still doing that for the 1st shot and then using the offhand for the remaining four shots or is everyone using their off hand to cock all five?

Thank you for your input

Oh and lastly - If I do make this change...

Am I still a Jedi Gunfighter?

Yes, You will always be a Jedi...

KK

Just so happens I shot 49er this pass weekend the 1st time in forever.

A few stages were a tad faster. Transitions were not what they should have been.

I thought about it and ended up shooting both right handed. It was kinda a last minute thing and cocking the left gun with my right thumb is something I would want to practice before hand. I did use my off hand to cook all five rounds.

I can tell you one thing I didn't have near as much FUN

I'm sure glad ta hear we don't lose yer Jedi Gunfighter status fer a weak moment now and again :D

Wyatt

I spent the first 8 months of my cowboy career shooting 1st two handed then duelist. Then I saw the light and switched to gunfighter. I can shoot faster and more accurately either two handed or duelist. But, I have twice as much fun with a gun in each hand. It is even more fun when I occasionally use black powder. The only thing that tops that is black powder gunfighter outlaw.

Creeker, as you know we have a category we call Gunslinger. Shooting it you are required to use all three styles. When I shoot 2-hand supported (Traditional) I draw left gun with left hand and right gun with right hand. It seems natural and saves a little time in the transition. I do have to say that shooting gunfighter is my favorite style, however shooting a match in Duelist, Traditional and Gunfighter styles is also fun.

Just George

Last Summer, I spent an Ugly month in a Hospital. The medical problem caused a lot of nerve damage and my left arm and hand were nearly useless. Didn't know if I would ever shoot, let alone Gunfighter. Started thinking of switching back to shooting supported. Fortunately, the body has mostly repaired itself, and I am back! And back to Gunfighter. Not quite as fast nor accurate with my left hand, but it's slowly coming along. That being said, I can't imagine shooting anything but Gunfighter unless physically forced to. Besides, when the timer goes beep, two guns come up, unless I think about it real hard.

I have tried it, just for giggles, and my first 5 shots are about as fast as Gunfighter, but the transition sucks. It ain't near as much FUN!

Coffinmaker

Being someone whose left hand has a mind of it's own and rarely does it listen to me, I cannot conceive of someone that is capable of shooting "Gunfighter" shooting any thing else.

Where's the fun in two hand supported?

Being someone whose left hand has a mind of it's own and rarely does it listen to me, I cannot conceive of someone that is capable of shooting "Gunfighter" shooting any thing else.

Where's the fun in two hand supported?

Gunfighter is fun, but sometimes it is about vanity.

I have won category state championships in Duelist and Gunfighter.

Switching would maybe give me the chance to win one in a third category.

More importantly - Last year - Overall, I was one of the highest placed Nevada residents at our State Championship (obviously not the highest one).

I am simply exploring the possibility of switching to two handed supported to make a stronger run at the Overall State Championship.

(I would really like to have that buckle).

And if others have made this change, I am not above picking their brains to learn what lessons they learned that perhaps I won't have to.

I have shot Gunfighter since it became a category. Before that I sort of intermingled Gunfighter style with Traditional style until the powers that be decided that you couldn't shoot Gunfighter style in Traditional. Anyway for the last 10 years or so, it's been Gunfighter.

After Mule Camp (the last one in 2009) I decided to see if I could relearn shooting "Squaw style", that is holding the gun with two hands. For about four or five months I shot Squaw style in the Elder Statesman category, shooting "double traditional" or right gun with right hand and left gun with left hand. The biggest problem with that was to train my right thumb to cock. It took about a month of one practice session and one or two matches a week to get so I was competitive.

It took about two months to get so I was as fast as Gunfighter. Even then it was a case of maybe one second faster one way or the other. I never did get around to trying both guns with my right hand like I did back in the old days though.

I do think that changing categories for a while helped my Gunfighter some

Creeker:

there have been some OVERALL State champs and winners of state matches who shot GF.

Recently, Lassiter became the Ohio State Champ (ifn I ain't mistaken, OVERALL) and he did it GF style.

I think your very own Madd Mike won Nevada State Champ Overall shooting GF style a few years back.

And, I think Badlands Bud has traveled up to Oregon and shot in their State Match and shot GF. And was the Overall winner.

I'm going on faint memory on some of my statements so forgive me ifn I got any of them wrong.

Point I'm making is that it IS possible to win the Overall state buckle, even if your shooting GFer.

Your only shooting your pistols for a few seconds during each stage. Its possible that if you feel a disadvantage in time while shooting GF style, you can make up lost time by trying to improve on your rifle and SG.

Just a thought!

Whatever decision you choose, I wish you well. Shootin is fun, no matter how we do it.

EDIT: I'm also thinking that Walker Colt (from Virginia, I think) shot GF at the W.VA State match and was overall champ also.

AND, it wouldn't surprise me if Easy Rider in GA has claim to a State Overall Champ. But I don't recall that one.

..........Widder

Creeker, I won't go into a long story, but I started out shooting with both hands on one gun and I have from time to time done so since. Yes, overall a good shooter who shoots the two styles is going to be faster shooting with two hands on the same gun. I could go into long explanations, but I feel that I know enough about the way you think and explore possibilities to know that there is little if anything that I could tell you that you do not already know.

I saw Lassiter in a shootoff once (Last Stand 2007)...and he used two hands on the same pistol. Yes, a gunfighter can win overall if the right people are not there or stumble. To know what will give you the best odds of winning your state championship, you need only take a look around at EOT and elsewhere. You already know what you need to know, so it's just a matter of deciding if you are willing to give up shooting with a gun in each hand and beating most everyone as a gunfighter. Yes, there is some vanity involved...in the last 14 words of the previous sentence.

I am considering changing from Gunfighter to two hand supported and am looking for folks with experience doing the same.

First - Did you see significant differences in your times with your change?

Improvement or decline? And how long until you felt as skilled in the new style?

I would expect it to take YOU a week or two practicing to retrain your brain ot the point that it felt natural.

Second - Coming from a Gunfighter background and being used to a Left hand/ Left gun - Right hand/ Right gun method.

Did you continue that method supported or are you shooting both pistols strong side?

I shot both guns right handed and changed which one I started with depending on how transitions to and from long guns worked best.

Third - As Gunfighters, we thumb cock as we bring the pistol from holster to eye level.

As a supported shooter, are you still doing that for the 1st shot and then using the offhand for the remaining four shots or is everyone using their off hand to cock all five?

Gun should be cocked as it is coming to the target.

Thank you for your input

Oh and lastly - If I do make this change...

Am I still a Jedi Gunfighter?

Creeker:

there have been some OVERALL State champs and winners of state matches who shot GF.

Recently, Lassiter became the Ohio State Champ (ifn I ain't mistaken, OVERALL) and he did it GF style.

I think your very own Madd Mike won Nevada State Champ Overall shooting GF style a few years back.

And, I think Badlands Bud has traveled up to Oregon and shot in their State Match and shot GF. And was the Overall winner.

I'm going on faint memory on some of my statements so forgive me ifn I got any of them wrong.

Yer remembery seems to be functioning OK...that was back in 2008.

;)

PWB

OK, Vanity I understand.

Oh, wait. Isn't she on Wheel of Fortune?

when I did it, Locally

...............things were not as big and close as they are now (locally)(meaning higher miss ratio for single handed pistol shooters)

............pistol and rifle sequences were not always the same in the (same stage) as they are mostly done now (locally)

......there were split pistol stages, back then, (locally)

and some that involved (requiring) double duelest (& locally you dont see that now)

your decision may want to be based upon how you think the stages may be written for the shoot that you desire to win most!

some did it (GunFighter overall) the hard way

I have changed catagoryies every year at EOT, over the last score + years, of my SASS shootin

(with regards to my personal goal to win)

top ten of ten different categories.

it is harder than you think, (changing cats) but it is do-able

do what you think is best for yer ownself in the long run

post script

creeker and I have on occasion discused the fact that I seem to be picking on our local shoots

my opinion is (no I am not)

I am just stating facts, not picking on local clubs

geeeeeeeeeeeeeese

I have shot with all of em, and done all of their annuals

yes, you will remain a jedi

widdow aint taken my jedi satus, know full well my years of change :)

pss

philly slim, sorry for bringing up the past :lol::lol::lol:

its just to perhaps show

newer shooters, how things have changed

knowing full well

the goods, & the badds of the changes

folks, I want sass to live a nother 30 years..................

I want to be a shooter as old, as I have timed at nationials and world finials in

shucks

i say it again (the past)

Archived