SASS Wire Forum

? for my AZ pards

going from Tejas to SoCal then to Grand Canyon then Sedona for a couple days each in mid August. Got Cali covered.......

Can anyone suggest NICE accomodations at the Grand Canyon ? Tour agent wanted us to stay in Flagstaff but isn't that like 80 miles away????

what to do beside enjoy the view..... helicopter tour, jeep tour?????????

Also what to do in Sedona besides jeep tour, hot air ballon rides, etc? Is there an artists village or something like that? And if anyone knows of any really NICE hotels it would be appreciated.

MY sincerest THANKS in advance.

If you can stay at El Tovar on the south rim that would be great, might be all booked up by now, however. There may be some accommadations in Grand Canyon Village a few miles off the rim. I assume you are visiting the South Rim, not the North Rim.

Here is a link to the hotels in Grand Canyon Village : Grand Canyon Village Lodging

You could also stay in Williams, AZ it's a straight shot up to the canyon from there. Enjoy,

TB

Suggest you stay in Williams, "Gateway to the Grand Canyon."

A great, old, small town on old Route 66. Many hotels of in all price ranges, and great restaurants! Nice merchants in town, too.

Flagstaff is too far away and too busy to help much with Grand Canyon touring.

There is an artists village in the middle of town on the West side of the road called Tlaquepaque. This is a pretty good little enclave of various artists not to mention the numerous art and rug galleries. Have lunch or dinner at the Mexican restaurant at the North end of town where the main road "t's".

Another vote for Williams, plenty of decent places to stay, good resturaunts, and you can ride the train to the canyon (just don't shoot the train robbers, they're just actors).

As for Sedona, nice hotel up on top of the mesa by the airport, walk over to the airport for dinner and go for the biplane ride. Plane is a Waco, loads of fun and the fantastic scenery is a bonus.

Another vote for Williams. You have to understand, we drive maybe a bit more in this part of the world, so 80 miles is nothing. The wife and I drive 3 hrs. one way to Tombstone twice a month just because we like it. August in Arizona is probably not the most enjoyable time heat wise, but the higher elevations aren't as bad as the Phoenix area at that time of year.

Williams. We did an all out family vacation with the kids a couple years ago. Went tourist haywire.

If you take the train, I don't recommend the food at the canyon. It's bad forest service concession food. Train ride is pretty cool but not necessary to get to the south rim.

What I like about Williams is the whole town works together to make your visit great. We had dinner at the train station and while there the local High School has a group of musicians dressed in Civil War uniforms that play and roam the town. I would assume they still do this as it's a fundraiser for the students. It funds a scholarship account that the students that go on to college can access for doing their part in playing in town. They sell CD's Buy one!

Also, There should be a little museum across from the Best Western east end of town. Last I heard Jay Redfeather is still thereabouts.

Hopefully the fires will be out by then.

Mostly likely they will be out by then. Mid-August is at the peak of the summer rainy season in the Southwest. Fire crews will have mopped up fires in the Southwest and will be moving north where the forests dry out in late summer.

Hiking into the canyon is the best way to see it, but in August this is not a grand idea. It is an oven at the bottom.

You will be approaching from the South Rim, but the North Rim is really beautiful, with great cabins and lodge. It is aa lot more remote unless you are coming in from the north, though.

In early October of 2008 I had the opportunity to hike in one day from the North Rim to the South Rim-- 26 miles. It's the hardest thing I've ever done (in particular, the last 3 miles up to the South Rim), but I made it. This is really only possible that time of year, because of temperature. It was in the twenties at 5 am when we started, in the low 70s down at the river, and back into the 20s when we were done about 7 pm.

The two guys I was with are both over 70 and do this hike every year. Man, are they tough!

You'll love the Grand Canyon!

Archived