SASS Wire Forum

Plywood Horse gun prop

Blastmaster

This question has come to my attention and I do not have a clear answer concerning staging long guns on/in/upon a plywood horse/cow prop.

At one shoot, the RO allowed the long gun to be placed up, on and across the back of the horse, no part within the gun craddle. Ok.

At a second shoot, the RO said the gun had to be with in the gun craddle, trigger guard could be forward or behind the rear craddle.

At a third shoot, the RO said the gun had to be with in the gun craddle, BUT the trigger guard had to be forward of the rear craddle,,,, he was trying to relate it to the edge of a table and no part could be past the edge of the table and in the case of the plywood horse, the trigger guard would be off and thus it had to be forward.... my head hurt on this one, but did as instructed.

So, to the fire and to PW, is there anything in the Rule Book(s) addressing this?

I suspect all of the above would be legal definitions, BUT ARE CLUB RULES and not SASS RULES. Am I on tract?

BTW, at larger matches, where RO's come from different clubs with different club rules, it would be easy for one posse to be allowed to stage their guns differently from another posse.

thanks,

Blastmaster

Think it is one of them club rules things.

We used a horse at Comin At Cha last year.

But was wrote into the stage instructions that it had to be in the craddle

when staged. And returned to craddle.

Where trigger guard was. Was up to the shooter.

It was also gone over with the PM's in the walk through so every posse

would have the same info.

Think it is one of them club rules things.

We used a horse at Comin At Cha last year.

But was wrote into the stage instructions that it had to be in the craddle

when staged. And returned to craddle.

Where trigger guard was. Was up to the shooter.

It was also gone over with the PM's in the walk through so every posse

would have the same info.

BE CAREFUL !!!! That stage (Horse) cost me the match!! You can catch the lever very easily on it and have it close on ya!!

These are some of the reasons we built our gun horses like this one.

Gun Horse

There is another post floating around about these, they work great, long gun must be flat on the top surface, not bridging the side edges.

TB

It's going to depend on the horse and the specific range, match and Match Director. If the stage instruction is "Make gun Safe" (which it should be) then anywhere on the horse where it won't fall over is OK :rolleyes:

Coffinmaker

PS: Do pay attention to where the lever goes :unsure:

Archived