SASS Wire Forum

Colt's SAA

Chief Rick

What exactly is the company celebrating?

I can understand the M1911 having 100th Anniversary stamped on the slide. Simple math: 2011 minus 1911 equals 100.

But why are the SAA's being stamped 175th Anniversay?

The model was introduced in 1873. 2011 - 1873 = 138. Doesn't really roll off the tongue smoothly.

The Paterson was introduced in 1836 - 175 years ago - Colt's first revolver as we pretty much know it today.

As Colt's no longer produces any other revolver I can see that angle, but a little misleading in my opinion.

Colt Firearms was founded in 1836, 175 years ago. Thus the anniversary, making the Single Action Army the oldest model still in production the badge wearer for the company. Sam Colt never saw the SAA we know because he died before it came out. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Colt Firearms was founded in 1836, 175 years ago. Thus the anniversary, making the Single Action Army the oldest model still in production the badge wearer for the company. Sam Colt never saw the SAA we know because he died before it came out. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Understood. Just to my way of thinking - if they are celebrating the founding of the company then all guns produced there this year should wear the 175, not just the SAA's.

Archived