SASS Wire Forum

Fastest Gunfighter side match

Grizzly Dave

Do any matches offer one?

With the rise in popularity of the GF categories, I think it would be cool to have a GF side match, give some folks who wouldn't necessarily try it in a match a chance to try their hand at it. And give those who have worked hard at it a chance to shine.

Grizz

If you want to see a side match where the gunfighters could shine, try a "speed pistol" where you have a double tap on 5 targets or a double tap Nevada sweep of 3 targets.

Holy cow but even an average GF'er can light it up then!!! Something to see for sure!

regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

As a gunfighter myself I think this would be cool, however once the gunfighters had there own side match, the deulists would then need one, as would the double duelist, the. The frontier gun fighter, and on and on until no match could happen because everyone was busy with side matches.

I was working the side match at Bayou Blast and did the speed pistol.OMG T bone did it so fast I had to count the hits on the target.He was just playing around.

How about a "Silverado" speed match. Two targets each 45 degrees from down range (one left and one right), alternate for 10 rounds.

Cheers,

BJT

BJT: that would be a great setup.

Other setups to consider:

All targets about 18" square or bigger

distance about 5 to 5.5 yards

2 plate progressive sweep

4 plate progressive sweep

3 plate double tap Nev. Sweep

Plates for the sweeps placed about 15" apart.

One of the things that might surprise alot of folks is that some of your best Traditional style shooters are also speed demons when shooting GF also.

Ya got folks like Bud and Deuce that can burn em down no matter which style they choose.

Then you got Lassiter who gets faster as the competition improves.

And if ya got Bad River Marty from Michigan, all I can say is....."don't blink"!

..........Widder

I dont know if he is the fastest or not. But T Bone is by far the fastest I have ever see for real or on U tube.He was just Playing and shot two targets about 10' apart outlaw and did not miss and I cant count that fast.He shot it gunfighter and did not miss. I will have to talk to Crosscut to get the time. After Bayou Blast he was called out and they put their gun on the gound about two rolls apart and started in the middle and at the beep they both rolled one way got a gun and shot from their back 5 shots rolled the other way and shot 5 shots from his back. And they both were fast but T Bone was super fast and he did not miss.

I know for the wolverine range war for the past 2 years there is a speed pistol gunfighter side match along with a duelist speed pistol and 2 traditional grip speed pistol also.

I know for last years EOT the fastest time speed pistol all day was by a gunfighter, Bad River Marty. The first time through he missed a target at EOT. He was also the Midwest regional 1st time through and all day "i bought it", along with Michigan's speed pistol gunfighter all day winner. Not bad for a gunfighter who is also a senior citizen :) and these were the only big matches he shot. Plus a great dad, happy fathers day to one of the fastest pistol gunfighter's who many haven't had the chance to see or know about.

Actually, most of the matches in the Midwest offering speed side matches recognize the different pistol shooting styles (traditional, duelist, gunfighter). After all, they are different and all that is at stake is bragging rights.

How about a "Silverado" speed match. Two targets each 45 degrees from down range (one left and one right), alternate for 10 rounds.

Cheers,

BJT

A few years ago I saw T-bone do that Outlaw style at The Raid on Andersonville.........it was sweet....and very fast. I think if my memory serves me he also shot it without alternating (just for fun) and it was over in a snap. Either way it was fun to watch.

There are a number of GFer's from coast to coast who can run their pistols very well, and yes, T-Bone is one of those.

For those of you who have seen some fast GFer's but aren't aware of actual time, some of your faster GFer's can run their 10 shots (1st shot thru 10) in around 1.10 to 1.50 seconds.

There are those who use the double cock style and those who use the alternating style who are capable of running these times.

Its possible to actually get those 10 shots off in 1.0 second.

..........Widder

Archived