SASS Wire Forum

FFL EZ Check System

Dusty Morningwood

When did the FFL EZ Check System become one that only licensed FFLs can log into? I used to be able to verify an FFL when shipping long guns USPS.

As far as I know (and this was confirmed by ATF...who happens to be in the shop today), anyone can access the EZ Check site. You need the first three digits and the last five to confirm an FFL.

As far as I know, there is no "log on" requirement. You need to get to the right page and enter the data as IROT sez.

If you are trying to access the NICS e-check data base, that's a different matter.

Here's a link to it.

Edit: After starting to post this, I tried to multi-task and as a result Bramble Mountain Buzzard drew first. I don't multi-task well. :D

If more FFL holders and buyer/sellers knew about the FFL EZ Check, it would simplify the process of shipping guns significantly. Unless I have read something wrong (that's possible), you do not have to have a copy of an FFL holder's license, but in order to insure you are shipping a gun to a legitimate FFL License holder (who has a current license) you must verify that their license is just that, current. The FFL EZ Check allows you to do that using only their license number...without having a copy in your hands.

Even when someone sends me a copy of their license, I check it on the web site. Call me paranoid, but it would be really easy to forge a license. I'm sure the penalty for doing so would be high, but there's a reason there is a T.V. show called World's Dumbest...Criminals. I don't want to get caught up in their dumbness.

That's weird. When I went to their main page for Firearms, I could not find the EZ Check link. When I used the Search feature, it told me that licensed FFLs could use it to verify an FFL and the link took me to the Home page where I was supposed to be abole to "log in."

That's weird. When I went to their main page for Firearms, I could not find the EZ Check link. When I used the Search feature, it told me that licensed FFLs could use it to verify an FFL and the link took me to the Home page where I was supposed to be abole to "log in."

Are you saying you found a governemt website that is illogical and contradicting. Golly gee amagine that!!! :blink:

A word of caution, many folks use the FFL-EZCheck to verify the name on the FFL. That is not the important part. The most important part is the premises. The scammers don't change the name. They just redirect the shipping to themselfs.

My dealer doesn't hand out his FFL# to non-dealers. I usually tell buyers to check him out on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica, since he's registered in both places.

My dealer doesn't hand out his FFL# to non-dealers. I usually tell buyers to check him out on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica, since he's registered in both places.

It's any FFL holder's business to run as they see fit, but personally I wouldn't care if they checked out on Gunbroker, Guns America or had a signed letter from the President. If I can't verify them via the FFL EZ Check which does not require a copy of the FFL, just some of the numbers, I wouldn't ship a gun to them. As far as an FFL thinking they are guarding secret information, the ATF web site makes this information available to anyone who owns a computer right here. Oops! :D

I do not need a copy of their FFL or even know their license numbers in order for them to ship a gun to my FFL. In that case, it is their responsibility to insure that the gun is being shipped to a licensed FFL.

The whole point of the FFL EZ Check is to head off fraud by allowing people the ability to know that they are shipping a gun to a legitimate FFL. A person who is determined and foolish enough to forge an FFL will not be deterred by not having a copy of the particular FFL license they are attempting to forge.

Most all the information needed to ship and receive guns is on the ATF web site right here. If you use FedEx or UPS, they have their rules that they impose additionally. Shipping to some states can be a bit more involved, but knowledgeable FFL holders within those states can make what might at first seem to be complicated situations fairly simple.

Folks, don't take my word for it, go read for yourself.

Archived