SASS Wire Forum

1887 questions

Three Foot Johnson

IAC equals Norinco just with a more politically correct name.

Also equals People's Liberation Army. That used to matter to me but no more. My hypocrisy goes only so far. Had to acquire two of them just because I wanted them. Even tho the PLA tried to kill me for a solid year a long time ago in a place faraway.

The only other copy is the Italian Chiappa at 4 times the money.

I thought it was the other way around; I'm pretty sure Norinco is the manufacturer and IAC is the importer, since North China Industries Corporation is based out of China and Interstate Arms Corporation is a wholesale distributor in Billerica, MA...?

Norinco was the Chinese distributor. They distributed EVERYTHING from washing machines to firearms. We caught them selling missle parts to Iran and tossed them out of the US permanently. IAC handles (or handled) the distribution for the 87s. The guns were always manufactured in the same state-run factory in China. That has never changed. The owner of IAC is a regular of mine. He has said they stopped bringing them in because the market has dried up. Not enough of us buying them anymore.....

Norinco was just the importer for IAC, NOT the maker.

Check out Coyote Cap's site.

CC was the one/only person that got us the '87 to begin with.

Cheers,

LG

Lumpy,

I believe Winchester brought us the '87 to begin with, compliments of the genius of John Browning. :)

Lumpy,

I believe Winchester brought us the '87 to begin with, compliments of the genius of John Browning. :)

That JB did, and none have been made buy Winchester in over 100+ years either. :rolleyes:

We were talking about the imports or did you miss that part :rolleyes:

IF it was not for Coyote Cap we would not have the number of '87's we have today.

Cheers,

LG

IROT are ye saying that IAC has discontinued production and importation of the 87?

I am afraid the 97 will be next. Their cheap 870 clones are what they are mega mass producing now. Easier to make and they can sell millions more at places like Big 5 than they can 97s.

Repeat after me, IAC and Norinco do not and have not made any 97s. Both import or did import them into the US. Norinco is prohibited by US government from any more importing of anything. IAC has decided to stop imports of 97s due to slow sales or lack of a product in production in China, do not know the facts here.

The owner of IAC, Marty, has said that they are discontinuing the importation of 87s and 97s because of slow sales. He said IAC likes to ship over full containers of firearms (about 1600 per). In the heyday of the 97s and 87s, they would empty a container of guns in about two months. Now, he says he's lucky if it takes only two years to empty that container. So, a limited market for the 97 and 87 is the reason they are stopping. It's sad but true. Cowboy shooters comprise a VERY small portion of the total shooting world.

In answer to the original post. Yes, I have used Magtech brass shotshells in my '87. It just doesn't close very easily like it would with regular shotshells. But, it will close safely. My Magtechs are full, untrimmed length with a slight rolled inward edge to help ease loading and chambering.

If you want to use Magtechs consistantly with ease, might want to consider trimming down the length of the shell just a mite or so.

BTW, I ain't no speed demon and I sure don't work the actions and levers fast on anything I shoot. That's just me.

IAC/Norinco are the ones that Coyote Cap had a hand in producing, Lassiter assisted Chipawa( IIRC) in producing some that are supposed to be a lot better but they cost a lot more also. I have shot Brass shells in my IAC that Lassiter worked on plenty of times after getting it. At one time I had enough Brass shells to shoot a large Match and warmup. But I had an accident a couples years back and lost and misplace over half of them. I even went to the extent to buy the RCBS dies and a rock chucker press to reload them. It worked great with the priming tube addon and go through sizing, decapping, priming them, then reconfigure the die and load the powder a over powder card, wad, shot and over shot card or use a modern wad and forget the over powder card then crimp the edge down on that over shot card and you good to go, Better than taking a punch and knocking the primer out, sizing the case by hand and hammer, then having to seal the over shot card in with liquid glass or I ended up using hot glue.

Hmmm... found one already - $400, delivered, owner claims "less than 200 rounds". I guess I'll give it a try.

Ya know, you never see an honest gun ad... "I've shot the living hell out of this thing, it's beat to crap, wood is gouged all over, blueing is scratched up, hammer often won't stay at full cock, trigger is bent, guard is cracked, front sight is gone..." :lol:

I picked one up last month just for the hell of it - I've always thought they looked cool.

Playing with it around the house, I will say that I can single load my '97 faster and my time with a double is about equal. The '87 has been worked over with a drop two mod but I still fumble with - it has a very long lever throw.

I do enjoy playing with it though.

I am only out to have fun and I do not "practice" much except to go shoot in matches. Maybe after retirement...

Hmmm...

Ya know, you never see an honest gun ad... "I've shot the living hell out of this thing, it's beat to crap, wood is gouged all over, blueing is scratched up, hammer often won't stay at full cock, trigger is bent, guard is cracked, front sight is gone..." :lol:

Are you selling some of your guns? :D:lol::o

The '87 has a major "cool factor" that can't be beat :excl:

My wife and I both use '87s in SASS

All 3 of our '87s will feed all brass shells with out issue. Did take some work, BTW.

They sound great when you cycle the action when that brass "rings" with sound.

Cheers,

LG

Nether me or my son can get brass(magtech)shot shells to work correctly in his '87, so for the ones that can good for you, now tell me how you did it

A couple of yrs ago at WR in Az. Coyote Cap taught me how to "adjust" the timing of the '87 as it cycles so it would feed all brass shells.

Pretty hard to put into words just what is done. It's a "hands-on" deal to see just were the feeding issue(s) are, and what to look for.

Respectfully,

LG

According to the following article on Wikipedia (admittedly not always the best source) Norinco is indeed a manufacturer and look at the list of firearms.

Norinco from wikipedia

The list located at the end of the article indicates that Norinco manufactured the cowboy-type shotguns.

Norinco YL-1887L lever-action shotgun (reproduced the Winchester Model 1887/1901 model)

Norinco YL-1897 A copy of the Winchester model 1897 pump shotgun

I purchased my 87 from cap in early 08 and it came with all the tricks done. The fact that it is the first shotgun designed by JMB is what did it for me. The trouble I had with the brass hulls is on the load two. The loaded hull was so heavy that when I layed two of them on the carrier it would drop down too far and be misaligned with the barrel and magazine. This caused what is called a train wreck. The best hulls were the Federal paper or the Remington STS and Nitro 27 hulls. They made the gun perform as well as I could work the long action. It has more style points than any other shotgun used but in the hands of mere mortals it is the slowest. The last sentence does not include Duece Stevens, Lassiter, Coyote Cap, T-Bone or any of our above all other shooters.I had mine done by Cap's son Drifter on the lazer and it was a real beauty. I had real tears when that gun left my vault.The gun that I received from Cap had not one thing wrong and a bunch of right. It was not as many have said in the past a piece of junk. If you ever bought or shot one that came from Cap then you would not say this.Cap is a very honest person who did not learn to tell all his customers the truth. He told his first 5 customers it would be 2-3 weeks and then tell customer 50 the same thing. That is how he got himself into trouble.He meant well but went about it in the wrong way. This caused him the loss of a lot of business,and had he told them it would be a few months or more then it would be alright.

I shoot an original '87 made in 1890. The bore was lengthened to handle 2-3/4" hulls. I ahve been successfully shooting Remington greens loaded with APP (BP-sub). The full-brass hulls are simply too expensive.

I do plan on trimming some plastic hulls to 2-3/8" to have no crimp and use a overshot card to better tolerate the range of case fullness that I have been experiencing. Anybody tried this?

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked it up, and lucky me - an 06 prefix. :) The one tang screw is buggered up a bit, but the rest of 'em are fine. And to think I was going to mow my yard tonight... :lol:

(edit) HA! I put my SASS card in the shot to prove it's my pic, and that's my daughter's SASS card, not mine! :blush:

Archived