SASS Wire Forum

? on Classic Cowboy Catagorie

I have been shooting in my civil war uniforms to honor the 150th anniversary of the state of the civil war and was just wondering if I could enter the classic cowboy catagorie as long as I meet all the clothing requirements. I wear a vest, braces, knife, gaiters, a watch and chain and a wild rag. Not trying to cause any bad feelings but usually shoot Frontiersman and would like to try Classic Cowboy without offending anyone. All responses are appreciated. Thanks, Diamond Curly I will still shoot my C&B's, 87 shotgun and 73 rifle.

I have been shooting in my civil war uniforms to honor the 150th anniversary of the state of the civil war and was just wondering if I could enter the classic cowboy category as long as I meet all the clothing requirements. I wear a vest, braces, knife, gaiters, a watch and chain and a wild rag. Not trying to cause any bad feelings but usually shoot Frontiersman and would like to try Classic Cowboy without offending anyone. All responses are appreciated. Thanks, Diamond Curly I will still shoot my C&B's, 87 shotgun and 73 rifle.

Diamond Curly - I doubt you would offend anyone with what you would like to do.

Classic Cowboy requirements are pretty clear in the shooters handbook.

C&B revolvers in either 36 or 44 caliber are fine.

87 shotgun - fine

73 rifle - needs to be 40 caliber rimmed cartridges or larger (38-40 on up).

Felt type cowboy hat.

Five "costume" items - from your list the vest, braces, knife, watch+chain and wild rag make five. Canvas gaiters probably don't count as a cowboy costume item, as they are not really botas. Per RC note. Here's the full menu:

Chaps, spurs, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest,

pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife, botas, leggings, braces; no

straw or palm hats allowed.

You are free to wear your solder clothes; I've seen Classic Cowboys "who have recently left the service of Uncle Sam" on the range. Boots or lace-ups without lugged soles. No "drop" holsters - grip must extend at least a little above the gun belt.

Come on out, we'd welcome you anywhere!

Good uck, GJ

Just curious about this next question, not arguing. But, if need be, wouldn't canvas gaiters count as leggings, or do they need to be leather?

Curly, I'd ask the other members of the club where you shoot, but, I can't see any of them having a problem. I wanted to say Thank You for honoring the memory of our CW dead. If I still had any of my reenacting stuff, I'd be wearing it, too.

Rufus

DC - only thing you didn't list was felt hat, but wear that in addition to the 5 things from the list that you stated, guns fall in line with the rules, I sure don't see a problem with it.

You gonna be at Pawnee Saturday?

Grizz

Just curious about this next question, not arguing. But, if need be, wouldn't canvas gaiters count as leggings, or do they need to be leather?

Curly, I'd ask the other members of the club where you shoot, but, I can't see any of them having a problem. I wanted to say Thank You for honoring the memory of our CW dead. If I still had any of my reenacting stuff, I'd be wearing it, too.

Rufus

Good point Rufus, the gaiters ARE leggings. Had not paid much attention to the leggings costume possibility.

GJ

Nope, won't work. You're gonna have to shoot in a different category... :D

Just kidding. It sounds to me like you've got it covered. Welcome to the most stylish category goin'...

Diamond Curly - I doubt you would offend anyone with what you would like to do.

Classic Cowboy requirements are pretty clear in the shooters handbook.

C&B revolvers in either 36 or 44 caliber are fine.

87 shotgun - fine

73 rifle - needs to be 40 caliber rimmed cartridges or larger (38-40 on up).

Felt type cowboy hat.

Five "costume" items - from your list the vest, braces, knife, watch+chain and wild rag make five. Canvas gaiters probably don't count as a cowboy costume item, as they are not really botas. Per RC note. Here's the full menu:

Chaps, spurs, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest,

pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife, botas, leggings, braces; no

straw or palm hats allowed.

You are free to wear your solder clothes; I've seen Classic Cowboys "who have recently left the service of Uncle Sam" on the range. Boots or lace-ups without lugged soles. No "drop" holsters - grip must extend at least a little above the gun belt.

Come on out, we'd welcome you anywhere!

Good uck, GJ

GJ - You only mentioned C&B revolvers in the requirements you listed as that is what DC is using. So as not to confuse anyone reading the post, want to add that the pistols allowed include:

Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.

Revolvers must be shot duelist or double duelist style. See Duelist description for required

shooting technique.

Revolver calibers: .40 caliber rimmed cartridges or larger—revolvers and rifle Examples

include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45

Schofield, .45 Colt or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball.

Sounds good to me, Diamond Curly. I shoot my .36 Navies once a year at THSS in Columbus, Texas at TRAILHEAD.

Ghost

DC - only thing you didn't list was felt hat, but wear that in addition to the 5 things from the list that you stated, guns fall in line with the rules, I sure don't see a problem with it.

You gonna be at Pawnee Saturday?

Grizz

Thanks for the feed back. I will be at pawnee if the weather holds out and the creek does not rise. DC

Rufus

Thanks for the comments. I have been a civil war history buff for many years and try to learn more each and every day. DC

Diamond Curly,

It sounds like you have already been doing it, you've just been checking the wrong category. You are welcome to come play Classic Cowboy with us anytime. Having 5 of these items is not that difficult to do. What usually slows folks down is having the wrong guns.

You got it covered!

GW

Yes and you can do it and meet the garrison requirements if you plan correctly. I shoot in an Indian War era uniform and may be playing with CC in the future doing just this. Kepi if allowed if not a slouch hat. Cavalry Boots with spurs, pocket watch and chain, knife( right now I am using a Redwing Bone or horn handled Damascus blade knife till I can find and purchase an 1880's hunting knife and sheath), uniform vest, Suspenders, wild rag, uniform coat, if you were dressed as a Rough rider or Wild Bunch you could were lace up boots and leggings. If you look and have the right uniform or issued items it isn't hard to meat the requirements and still look military.

Archived