SASS Wire Forum

26 years ago today...

Grizzly Dave

Well, I'd best give you the back story before we get to what happened 26 years ago today...

Around the first of February that year, I waited until I knew that then girlfriend Grizz would be someplace else and went to talk with her parents and asked them for permission to ask her to marry me. Her dad said something like 'absolutely' and her mom said 'well, I don't disapprove.'

On valentines day I picked her up after her last class for the day at CU, and drove her up to a scenic overlook on Flagstaff mountain overlooking the city of Boulder, CO. I got her to sit down at a picnic table with the dozen roses I'd given her, got down on one knee, told her I loved her, wanted to spend my life with her, and would she marry me. Her reply, 'are you kidding me?' We'd talked about getting married, but she knew before I would ask for real that I wanted to ask her dad, and she had no clue that I'd done that already. We set a tentative date for the fall of the following year after I'd be done with college.

Well, we couldn't wait. Even though we were both living at home, she with her parents and me with my dad, had no real means of support, we felt there was no reason to wait.

So 26 years ago today, we drove up to Cheyenne, Wyoming to the court house, pulled in Ronda and Jane a couple of secretaries for witnesses, and said our 'I dos.'

And told no one.

On the way back we stopped and bought fireworks as Wyoming had much more available. That night I went to a father son banquet at church with my father in law, though he still thought he was my future father in law at the time.

And still we told no one. Remember we were both in school living with parents and had no income to speak of. About a year later the reality that a 'real' wedding would not really be appropriate, we started telling people. When we told her parents her dad was relieved I think that he'd been spared the ordeal of a wedding, her mom wanted to see the marriage license as there was some family history of someone saying they were married only to find out years later they weren't. I'm glad she asked and we were only too happy to comply. They organized a small reception at church with cake and gifts to celebrate.

I don't remember how my mom reacted, but when we told my dad, it was classic dad. Now we were a bit nervous about telling him. He had been divorced twice and was not big on marriage in general. When I told him I'd asked her to marry me he said 'why the hell would you want to do a damn fool thing like that for?' He was sitting at his breakfast table drinking coffee, smoking a cigarette and going thru the mail. Miz Grizz and I went in and told him the news. As I recall, he said something like 'I see' and pulled out his day timer to write the date down, then looked up and said 'now, about your sister's divorce...'

26 years, an apartment, several jobs, two houses, three dogs, two cats, and two kids later brings us to today. And now, as Paul Harvey would say, you know the rest of the story.

Thanks to Miz Grizz for putting up with me for all these years.

Congratulations! May you have many more happy years.

Congratulations to you and Mrs. Grizz! I hope that you will have many happy years together. Remember to cherish each other.

No matter how you done it, Grizz. You got the better end of the deal.

Kinda wonderin how she put up with you all them years.

Congratulations to you both. Meeting your daughter, I can only say. YOU BOTH DONE GOOD.

I wish you many happy years together, ahead.

Archived