SASS Wire Forum

How to Shoot a Shotglass

Aunt Jen

Ok. So I'm watching "Stranger with a Gun," which seems like the inspiration for the characters in "Support your Local Sheriff," and I see Glenn Ford walk into a Saloon and demonstrate his shooting skill.

He puts a shotglass upside-down on his right hand, then a poker chip on that. Then he tosses it up into the air, draws his Colt, shoots the glass (which shatters), and then catches the poker chip that falls back down.

How to do it?

It seems to me that if you toss a shotglass up in the air, straight up in the air, it'll basically stop at the apex. Not moving, then. so you're not really hitting a moving target if your timing's good. And then it becomes more a matter of drawing and hitting a 2" wide spot four feet over your head.

How realistic do you think that is? I mean for someone who practices?

Aunt Jen

Interesting title on this thread.

Hitting the shotglass at its apex would be one way but you might also hit the poker chip. I'd think you could throw it up at an angle rather than straight up so that the poker chip goes away from the shot glass and would not be hit by the bullet or breaking glass...makes catching it a bit easier since you won't be chasing after it.

Of course the best way to shoot a shot glass is to drink from it :lol:

It is a not-well-kept secret of aerial shooters that a target tossed by the shooter will appear to be still in the air for an instant near the apex. It's actually pretty easy to hit wood blocks, tin cans, tomatoes, or other objects when the shooter tosses them himself. (Yes, be sure you're in an area where aerial shooting with a handgun is safe.)

But why waste a shotglass as a target? There are many better uses than that.

It is a not-well-kept secret of aerial shooters that a target tossed by the shooter will appear to be still in the air for an instant near the apex. It's actually pretty easy to hit wood blocks, tin cans, tomatoes, or other objects when the shooter tosses them himself. (Yes, be sure you're in an area where aerial shooting with a handgun is safe.)

But why waste a shotglass as a target? There are many better uses than that.

You know, I notice that both Glenn Ford in "Stranger with a Gun" and James Garner in "Support Your Local Sheriff" fired at their apex/relatively still targets when they were inside the roof, and there didn't seem to be much of a hoo-haw about it from anyone around either one. :blink:

Maybe the roofs leaked a lot anyway back then?

Aunt Jen

In real life the exploding glass would likely propel the chip elsewhere. Gus in Lonesome Dove provided the standard protocol for busting a shotglass. Paul Newman in Hombre demonstrated to a participant how to eat one and like it...or at least tolerate it.

whew.....for a minute there I thought you wanted to shoot my sister Shotglass... :wacko:

Me too!

I thought "wow what did she do to make someone that mad?"

Glad I was confused

whew.....for a minute there I thought you wanted to shoot my sister Shotglass... :wacko:

Lizzie, that's exactly what I thought when I first saw the title! Why on earth would anyone wanna shoot a sweet lady like Shotglass?

Slackwater

Aunt Jens.. you need to pick something like a juice glass or a cup of coffee in the Saloon... the very thought of breaking something with adult beverages in it .. hurts the guys on this thread.. lol.

I used to love shooting anything glass...

until I realized that all those little pieces needed to be cleaned up.

Pumpkins and watermelons are more my speed now, you don't have to clean up the leavings.

My shooting of misc stuff started early in life.

Used to shoot my army men off of the wood pile with my BB gun. Then ran out of army men and went to legos. Neat thing about lego pieces is that they come in a variety of sizes.

My friends and I would go to the local second hand stores and buy up actions figures and shoot them. All my original GI Joe and Star Wars Figures fell prey to the .22 and .410.

Was a heck of a lot more fun than blowing them up with fireworks.

Found eggs a lot of fun to shoot too.

Aunt Jens.. you need to pick something like a juice glass or a cup of coffee in the Saloon... the very thought of breaking something with adult beverages in it .. hurts the guys on this thread.. lol.

Awww Deja ma love-

Ya just keep growin on me!!!!!

My shooting of misc stuff started early in life.

Used to shoot my army men off of the wood pile with my BB gun.

I'd make up little mud walls to put them behind, or put them behind dirt clods. About 15 to 20 yards with my Crosman 760 (from when it was actually a decent air gun), and later my Crosman 1400 in .22 cal (that one was a very accurate out to about 40 yards).

Ok. So I'm watching "Stranger with a Gun," which seems like the inspiration for the characters in "Support your Local Sheriff," and I see Glenn Ford walk into a Saloon and demonstrate his shooting skill.

He puts a shotglass upside-down on his right hand, then a poker chip on that. Then he tosses it up into the air, draws his Colt, shoots the glass (which shatters), and then catches the poker chip that falls back down.

How to do it?

It seems to me that if you toss a shotglass up in the air, straight up in the air, it'll basically stop at the apex. Not moving, then. so you're not really hitting a moving target if your timing's good. And then it becomes more a matter of drawing and hitting a 2" wide spot four feet over your head.

How realistic do you think that is? I mean for someone who practices?

Aunt Jen

SERIOUSLY...........REALLY ???? :unsure:

Who wood shoot a shotglass wif whiskey in it ?? :blink:

Aint it smarter to drink da whiskey, den ask fer a re fill ? dry.gif

I'd make up little mud walls to put them behind, or put them behind dirt clods. About 15 to 20 yards with my Crosman 760 (from when it was actually a decent air gun), and later my Crosman 1400 in .22 cal (that one was a very accurate out to about 40 yards).

Shot mine off the wood pile. Even made up little scenarios where I had to shoot certain ones in specific order (taking out the most dangerous first or the most casualty producing weapons first). I was quite the BB gun sniper back in the day.

Shot mine off the wood pile. Even made up little scenarios where I had to shoot certain ones in specific order (taking out the most dangerous first or the most casualty producing weapons first). I was quite the BB gun sniper back in the day.

No wonder you got into CAS.

I'd usually shoot the prone ones first, then the kneeling, then the standing.

It was a lot of fun, but lordy, I wish I had those tens of thousands of them back. The Sears sets from the mid-1960s - great detail and good proportions, not the clunky, blobby things that are out now.

I'd usually shoot the prone ones first, then the kneeling, then the standing.

It was a lot of fun, but lordy, I wish I had those tens of thousands of them back. The Sears sets from the mid-1960s - great detail and good proportions, not the clunky, blobby things that are out now.

I always took out the bazooka and heavy machine guns first.

I had some WWII era german soldiers that were really detailed and well molded. They tended to break apart though, and one even ended up with the BB imbedded into it's midsection. Do wish I had some of them still. Along with my old cavalry set, complete with fort.

A cup of coffee? My very lifeblood? Please for the love of Pete tell me that isn't what you mean!!!! :o:o:o:o

Archived