SASS Wire Forum

1911- 22s,

Slowhand Bob, 24229

I found a Colt brand version of the 1911 22s at an out of town shop last week and really liked it. I actually was there looking for a couple of spare mags for my Chiappa, no luck there or anywhere so far. Though I did not have my Chiappa version in hand, I thought the Colt looked and felt heavier duty and the magazine definitely looked better. It, like my Chiappa, appears to be a pretty close copy of what we would use in the standard WB shoots.

Upon returning home I took a couple of visiting grand kids to the range and let them try the Chiappa, amongst other 22s. Like many of its breed it is somewhat ammo sensitive and locked up frequently with my el-cheepo brick lot Winchester stuff. When you pull out the real high velocity 22s, the boxes do lie on some, it works 100% and the kids really liked it for a fun gun (both selected it as their favorite). Sad to say that the miles separating them from Pappy does not allow much in the way of correcting their spray and pray shooting techniques but they did seem to have a great time at the range.

Though I do think the Colt will be a better choice, at around $50 more cash, the performance of the Chiappa leaves me feeling no urgent need to upgrade in a hurry. The Chiappa fits my 1911 holsters well but the mags are really tiney in size compared to the big 45acp versions and would do with smaller pouches. Now if I can just find a couple of good spare mags at a decent price.

I'm considering getting one of the ATI/GSG 1911 .22's. It looks well made and I've heard few complaints about it. I've heard some stuff about it being able to be converted to other calibers, but I don't know whether that's true or what that would take.

Thanks for your insights , Slowhand Bob. I haven't seen any of the 1911 22s in this area , though there must be some around. Would also like to see and handle one of the Browning 7/8ths size models. Pictures on website look nice , but MSRP is a bit more than the others.

Long live 22s , Rex :D

I have the Kimber 1911 in .22lr and love it. It too is a little ammo sensative, but clears easily and shoots hi-velocity rounds flawlessly. It's so cheap to shoot that when I go out I usually shoot a few hundred rounds. The wife loves it too. It is funny, but if you limp wrist it, it will sometimes ftf just like the big boys.

Cash

I sort of hinted at it above, I did want to stay as close to my plain Jane 45acp as possible to make sure the holster could be a constant. Some of the advanced sight systems and rails just wouldn't work in my little WB holster and who wants a separate rig for a practice gun? The little Chiappa is surprisingly accurate for such a cheap little gun and despite the trigger I was able to get a couple of thumb size groups at around twenty feet. No doubt in my mind that if I compared both the Chiappa and the Colt side by side, I would pay the extra money for the Colt BUT the Chiappa has not proven inadequate yet.

My Chiappa gives me fits and the slide falls forward when I insert the magazine and causes the first round to stand straight up and jam the gun whether CCI, Winchester, Blazer, or Federal. I put the same ammo in my newer Sig 1911-22 and it liked all kinds of ammo. I got an authorization to send my Chiappa back to the factory and will do that shortly, meanwhile I love that Sig version. Its grip safety on the Sig is an actual safety and it has a safety that won't let the gun fire with the magazine out. My Chiapppa slammed fired twice.

I'm considering getting one of the ATI/GSG 1911 .22's. It looks well made and I've heard few complaints about it. I've heard some stuff about it being able to be converted to other calibers, but I don't know whether that's true or what that would take.

I have one of the ATI's. They had some issues with some of the first ones having bad bushings, but all it takes is a phone call and they will ship out the parts you need. I have shot the cheep Federal and Remington out of mine with no problem. If I had it to do over again I probably would have bought 2 of them instead of just 1. Also as far as I know you can't convert them to any other caliber. If you are coming to one of the shoots in Park City(fourth weekend) let me know, and I will bring mine with me.

Bullseye shooters put thousands of rounds through their 1911-.22's and need reliable and accurate guns. They mostly use Kimber and Marvels slide/magazine kits. These can be had from the MidwayUSA or Brownells starting around $300. Using an upper assembly allows you to actully practice with the ame lower (trigger action, grips, etc.) as you would have when shooting the .45 upper.

I don't think that caliber changes are possible with the GSG 1911, but a large percentage of the parts (grips, control levers, sights, backstraps, etc) will interchange with centerfire 1911's.

Thanks to Bitter Creek Jack and Buckshot Frank for setting me straight on the conversion issue; that makes the GSG a little less interesting, but the price is still right.

Re: Park City- I want to check that out. I used to go to a science fiction convention that was held for many years at the Park Mammoth Resort and I love that place. I've been out of CAS since 2006 or 2007; I used to shoot mostly with the Glasgow group.

I recently bought a GSG-.22 Not to happy with the groups that I shoot with it.

Have had it worked on several times and grip safty is good now.

Gunsmith can shoot 1 1/2 in. groups, twenty five- thirty feet, not me .

I think it is the way my left hand is holding the gun a lot of side to side groups.

But it can realy spit them out fast. and is good practice for WB.

CCBA

Archived