SASS Wire Forum

HELP Marlin Feeding Problems

Ralphie Parker

I never had this pr0oblem till this season last year was my 1 st year in the sport but when I work my lever in my marlin a shell will fall out and just hang there at the ejection port I then tilt the rifle dump the round a wrack another shell this happens 1,2 even 3 times per stage every stage I've tried 105 TC 125 RNFP Moulton 147 TC and 158 RNFP none of these combos seem to help I was even trying to cant the rifle I am left handed some people say that's why I'm having the problem please if you had any ideas I would like to hear them and please don't say I need a 73

I never had this pr0oblem till this season last year was my 1 st year in the sport but when I work my lever in my marlin a shell will fall out and just hang there at the ejection port I then tilt the rifle dump the round a wrack another shell this happens 1,2 even 3 times per stage every stage I've tried 105 TC 125 RNFP Moulton 147 TC and 158 RNFP none of these combos seem to help I was even trying to cant the rifle I am left handed some people say that's why I'm having the problem please if you had any ideas I would like to hear them and please don't say I need a 73

Try checking Marauder's website, especially the Widdermatic conversion.

http://marauder.homestead.com/rifles.html

Randy

I have a Marlin also and had problems with feeding. I have found that 158 RNFP loaded to 1.53 OAL feed the best. I tried 125 TC but they were too short and did not feed well. I'm not positive this will solve your problem but it might be worth a try.

I have a Marlin also and had problems with feeding. I have found that 158 RNFP loaded to 1.53 OAL feed the best. I tried 125 TC but they were too short and did not feed well. I'm not positive this will solve your problem but it might be worth a try.

+1

I hate to diagnose Marlin problems without actually looking at the rifle but based on other simliar situation, include mine a couple years ago, here is your probable cause.

Marlins weren't made to use like we run em in CAS. We try to run em quicker than their design allows.

When an empty is coming out of the chamber, the rim of that empty case will brush by the rim of your next round sitting on the carrier. And in some cases, tolerances are so close, those rims will actually 'kiss' each other.

In essence, you got one trying to eject and at the same time, one on the carrier trying to occupy the same space the empty is coming from and they are nudging on each other, especially when you try to work the lever quickly.....as in the way most of us will do in CAS.

When those rims touch, the empty will often clear the ejection port BUT, the next round coming up on the carrier can turn sideways on ya, especially if it gets offset enough that a stiff extractor will nudge it just alittle more side ways. And then you experience the situation you described.

Another probably cause, in and of itself, is an overly stiff extractor.

As our good Wire Pard and friend Randy St. Eagle mentioned, you can visit Marauders website that gives info on how to solve these rolloffs.

Best regards

..........Widder

A few general hints - make sure all the screws are tight! Even a slightly loose screw can result in problems.

Yes, the Marlin prefers to function straight up and down. If the gun is canted shells will fall out or not load as smoothly.

Make sure the ejector is working well. The springs can wear after a few years and not flick the empty out as well as you would like. See that the empty is fairly briskly getting out. It doesn't have to go very far. In fact, if it flings the empties very far, the spring may be set too strong.

Others with more Marlin experience can probably help more. Tis been a few years since it was my main rifle.

Oh, and as Widder mentioned, the "standard" even slicked Marlin has a speed limit. It depends a little on each gun and matching the bullet length. but if you are getting split times below 0.40, you very likely will start experiencing rounds flying out on their own. The Spur modified Marlins werre the first I ever saw that could have splits below .33 and work reliably. Widder's mods will essentially do away with the speed limit as well.

Marauder may have this one. The bottom tang screw (in front of the lever, bottom of the gun) being loose can screw up timing on a .38 enough to raise the devil in an otherwise good rifle. Also the extractor may be crudded up, holding the case rim too tight. Give er a good bath with aerosol gun cleaner, using the included straw to blast the extractor and ejector well, check yer screws, and see if that helps.

MMJ,

There's absolutely no reason that a corretly reloaded shell won't function as well as a factory round. The key word here is loaded "Correctly". PM sent.

RBK

Ralphie, STOP watching video's of Deuce !!!

Archived