SASS Wire Forum

Which shotgun do you use

You need to set your goals higher,I wish I could run my '97 like Badlands Bud or Lead Dispencer ,or run a double like Deuce Stevens (I can't run a sxs at all),Deuce is no slouch with a '97 either he took 3rd place in World Records from me with a 97.

I noticed at GA state shoot alot of the Georgia guys were runnin sxs's,The Last Stand Shoot Off is always fun to watch the top 97 shooters & the top sxs shooters goin head head.

Even with the 97 shooters you have different styles like Badlands Drifter can get 4 off in under 4 seconds with the draw two from the right.

AO

AO, let me see if i can get as consistent as you are first. if thats possible then i will try and move up the ladder.

RR

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...I have never agreed with the 97 being allowed in any class...

Hello Fairshake,

Maybe you missed this part of the Shooters Handbook, from p. 3, "Firearms must operate as intended by the original pre-1900 designs they depict." By my math, the 1897 SG fits that description.

I wrote something similar on another thread and will write it to you. I am happy that you can play the game in a manner that suits you. Please don't insinuate that your way of playing the game is better than other folks' ways of playing. If we are playing within the rules, it is all good. Be happy that this sport draws so many folks who would or could not shoot if everyone was required to do things your way.

Regards,

Allie "who can't get rid of the bees in her bonnet today" Mo

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I generally use a Winchester M-23 or Stevens M-311D. I also have a 1927 Win M-97, but am not as fast with it. :blush:

I really wish I could find a cheap Ruger Gold Label (wishful pondering, huh?)

Your Pard,

Mustang Gregg

Hello Fairshake,

Maybe you missed this part of the Shooters Handbook, from p. 3, "Firearms must operate as intended by the original pre-1900 designs they depict." By my math, the 1897 SG fits that description.

I wrote something similar on another thread and will write it to you. I am happy that you can play the game in a manner that suits you. Please don't insinuate that your way of playing the game is better than other folks' ways of playing. If we are playing within the rules, it is all good. Be happy that this sport draws so many folks who would or could not shoot if everyone was required to do things your way.

Regards,

Allie "who can't get rid of the bees in her bonnet today" Mo

!!

Allie,

Them durn bees seem to be getting you good today!

Fairshake clearly indicated he knew the rules, and merely expressed an opinion that many share about the western "ambiance" of the 97. While totally SASS legal, the '97 just doesn't speak "old west" to many of us. On the other hand, the double simply EXUDES The Old West!! I only think of the '97s in the end of the era as represented in the transitional movies "The Wild Bunch" or "The Professionals" (IMHO a better movie with the best ever closing line - by Lee Marvin).

I'd venture a guess (but I've been wrong before ;)) that if more shootable hammered SxS's had been available when SASS originated, we may have seen it required in the the BP classes or AT LEAST Frontiersman? I simply love the hammered double and the expertise it requires (and I haven't come close to mastering yet!)

All that having been said, you are right about the variety allowed across the scope of the game. I really appreciate the variety allowed in SASS, and in addition to hammered and hammerless doubles, I also have 2 '97s (one original 1907 Win takedown and one IAC). Looking for a good 87 when $ allow, also!

Cheers,

Harvey (who appreciates all the period variety, but loves the the older) Mushman :)

ALLIE:

whenever you get rid of the B's in your bonnet, you will only have an 'onnet'.

Nobody, and I mean Nobody, wants you to put an 'onnet' on your head.

You can 'B' onnet

you can drive onnet

you can eat onnet

you can live onnet

you can even bet onnet

But we don't want you to wear onnet..... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

Archived