SASS Wire Forum

Which shotgun do you use

I've handled that 97 of Campo's and I must confess, I believe it is the smoothest 97 I've seen.

And for sure, Campo knows how to get the most out of it.

..........Widder

Thanks Widder! B)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shoot the Wreck of the ol' (18)97, a 6th Gen IAC Chinchester. Been good to me -- so far.

I'd guess it's 'bout half and half at our Kalifornium clubs.

It's already been said and I concur, here in the Southeast, there has been a movement toward doubles. With that said, as a general rule (but not a hard rule), the top shooters (the A++ shooters) have stuck with a 97...if they can proficiently pull and shoot four. Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I could name some double shooters that you'll never find moss growing on.

I listened in on a conversation recently pondering how many of the A++ shooters might switch to doubles if they were only allowed to pull two at a time. It was interesting.

Buck D. (guy who thinks it's WAY, WAY, WAY more about the shooter than about the gun) Law

Around Florida is 97's over SxS's about 60/40. Great 97 shooters will beat a good SxS shooter just as a great SxS shooter will beat a good 97 shooter. IMHO some of the best 97 shooters in the country live right here in Fl. A few of the best SxS shooters reside here also, but the ratio on that is probably 80/20.

A far as reliablity goes, it seems the majority of malfuntions that I see with both types is failure to fire......1 barrel of a SxS not going off or hammer falling on a 97 with not going off. Most of these failures are directly due to "modification" of parts and/or springs. Therefore most failures are due to human failings rather than the gun. I use a 97 and have only had one mechanical failure due to a loose screw on a cartridge stop......it fell out. I guess really that would be a human failure as I didn't tighten up the screws on occasion. I have six 97's ranging from an ugly stick to the most pristine 97 I've ever seen, don't even own a SxS. All of them are true Winchesters, not the Chinese brands.

Although the SxS is less complicated with (alot) fewer moving parts, I think that it takes more style/finesse and coordination to use one good than a 97. Since I have none of those attributes, I'll stick to the 97.

Sun

If Campo Kid will post that video of his shooting Stage 4 at the Ohio State this past weekend, it will show everyone exactly why alot of shooters still like the 97, even though alot of top shooters also use the SxS.

Its a great video and I hope he shares it with us on this particular thread.

..........Widder

Here you go Widder.

I've been running a 97 for about 6 months now.

And the 97 you see in this video is my Mogollon Drifter IAC.

Kid

Nice run,only six months that awsome.Did I say I love my IAC 97 that I've been shooting for around 5yrs,great guns.

AO

Thanks Outlaw, and yeah the IAC 97 can't be beat.

I bought a very nice Winchester but the steel is way softer than on the IAC, if I used it as my main match gun it wouldn't last very long at all ! :o

Kid

Good shootin Campo!

I hear ya on abusing the original 97, I bought an original in Jan. And have been working on the rolling four over the top load, and have broken the poor thing several times practicing. Good news is I've learned so much about how they work I can take a 97 apart in pitch black room with one hand and get her back together....maybe :) To quit beating up on my original I bought an IAC from Evil Roy pre gereased up by Griner Gun Works. It is a hellacious firearm!

About the same time I got one of Arcadia Outlaw's old belts off the wire, he worked to design for the four over load. Belt works GREAT AO, thanks again.

In short: +1 IAC 97

Thanks Outlaw, and yeah the IAC 97 can't be beat.

I bought a very nice Winchester but the steel is way softer than on the IAC, if I used it as my main match gun it wouldn't last very long at all ! :o

Kid

I've heard people say this before. Just for arguments sake.......I've been using one made around 1910 for 6+ years for practice and main match.

Stan

I've been using one made around 1910 for 6+ years for practice and main match.

Stan

Your are right,

And if I did use my Winchester as a main match gun, it would probably last longer than I expected. 'Cause it too is a great gun in good condition.

But I do know that the steel on the Winchester is much softer than on my IAC. ;)

Kid

Campo,

Thanks for posting that vid.

YOU DA MAN!

I don't know much about hard steel or softer steel but I know that my 03 and 04 Norinco's seem to run very well and both of my 09 IAC's appear to be built like a tank. Yes, they are smooth but its obvious that the steel is thicker in some areas and solidly built.

..........Widder (gettin ready for the onslaught at GOA)

Got to see Campo and Widder duke it out with 97s at Kentucky and I must say they both handle them very well. It was a treat to watch.

It is also a treat to watch the top SXS shooter like Fast Eddie and Dirt. For a real treat get Dirt to show his pull four with the SXS. It is almost unbelievable.

I have a couple SKB done up by Dirt. They work well for me. I also have a 04 Norinco 97 done up by Surley Dave. I works well for those that shoot them. I keep it for a spare in case all of Fast Eddies 3 go down at the same time.

McKenzie

I almost always shoot Frontier Cartridge and BP. I currently have a Norinco SxS that I bought several years ago. Someday I'd like to own one of those Pioneer SxS. The places I shoot have a few more 97's that SxS and the ratio seems to remain constant. One thing I have noticed is that there are fewer and fewer 87's

Guest Dusty Feller, SASS #20010L

Well, I have been shooting three original, solid frame, 1897's for more than five years and have not had to have any of them fixed.

If something screws up, it is usually me! :rolleyes:

Don't know if the solid frame thing makes a difference; besides being about a pound+ lighter that is.

Having said all of that, I also have a lot of fun with the SKB 100 SXS and, yes, someday I might even try the Browning BSS.

Well, I have been shooting three original, solid frame, 1897's for more than five years and have not had to have any of them fixed.

If something screws up, it is usually me! :rolleyes:

Don't know if the solid frame thing makes a difference; besides being about a pound+ lighter that is.

Having said all of that, I also have a lot of fun with the SKB 100 SXS and, yes, someday I might even try the Browning BSS.

Actually as far as weight goes my Winchester takedown is lighter than my IAC just buy a few ounces though.

AO

..........Widder (gettin ready for the onslaught at GOA)

Bring it! :P:lol:

Just kidding, 'cause after all, you are the GOA 97 Speed Shotgun champ! ;)

Kid

Hey Campo,

I hope to have a healthy wrist THIS TIME.

Whether I'm in the competition or not, I trully think that the Speed SG events at GOA are some of the best competitions anywhere because of the quality of shooters like:

1. Colt McAllister (Speed SG Champ - 97, at EOT 2010)

2. Deuce (although he shoots a SxS, he is just as fast with a 97)

3. Lassiter (although he is renowned for his 87 speed, he is second to no-one with a 97)

4. CAMPO KID (gotta watch out for this feller)

and that is just some of the male Pards.

AND, rumor has it that Korupt Karl has been 'practicing' with his 97 and getting better all the time.

The ladies have Sage Chick, who can burn em down faster than the men. Thank goodness she ain't in our competition.

Sooooo, it does make a very fun competition.

And of course, you still got those MegaFast SxS and 87 shooters who burn time like a Borg. :o

..........Widder

Hey Campo,

Whether I'm in the competition or not, I trully think that the Speed SG events at GOA are some of the best competitions anywhere because of the quality of shooters like:

3. Lassiter (although he is renowned for his 87 speed, he is second to no-one with a 97)

AND, rumor has it that Korupt Karl has been 'practicing' with his 97 and getting better all the time.

The ladies have Sage Chick, who can burn em down faster than the men. Thank goodness she ain't in our competition.

And of course, you still got those MegaFast SxS and 87 shooters who burn time like a Borg. :o

..........Widder

Very true.

See ya' there, B)

Kid

Hey Campo,

..........Widder

Widder; You must be smokin whacky tobaccy.....I have so much room for improvement with shotgun.....my times for four shotgun are your times for 8.... practice will help, but I just don't have time but I appreciate the confidence. I've got to work on not leaving 5 or 6 rounds in my rifle.....tends to hurt the times....lol.

I guess the next time I get to see you is at GOA. Take care, I'll call you in the morning.

KK

I mostly use a '97 but I have been known to use a double with or without hammers and an '87 from time to time. I even shot one match with a brace of front stuffing external hammered percussion shotguns (at a match played not strictly by sass rules). I don't know what is causing the lack of variety in the OP's hometown, but I daresay it is not universal.

Badlands Bud

I daresay ,I've shot and broken more 97's in my limited timed on the Planet than most should be allowed........On the other hand I've seen far more dependable SXS's out there....And One would tend to believe unless Daddy wants to carry a"Herd" of 97's for Me .....One would choose to one or possibly two dependable SxS's ...Ahhh The Days of shooting thee old "Creedmore" off the stern of the"Titanic"....Will be be seated according to class in the life boats....Tuco

I started with a 97, then went to an Ithaca double, then went to an English hammer gun, then a series of modern doubles. I am shooting a tuned Stevens 311 for smokeless and the English double for BP at the moment. I just bought another 97 (the first one in 15 years), a 30 inch full but I won't be using it. The wife said the other day that she thought it would be fun to shoot some CAS to get practice for her work gun (a Rem 870 slug gun for bears), which means that she needs a pump gun.

Campo Kid, that was a great run with the 97. i had the best run so far with my 97 yesterday.

RR

Thanks Rod,

I watched your videos, and you had some awesome runs too!

I started SASS with a Baikal and the trigger guard and my fingers always fought with each other with the end result being my fingers bleeding. I then went to a Coyote Cap 87 after seeing it in a few old westerns. I then decided that a hammer gun was the only way to be a true cowboy. I was already shooting the real powder as I am the type of person that feels if you are trying to be in a certain time period then you have to use what they used and nothing else. If the matches were closer in miles I would ride a good quarter horse if that tells you what I mean. I have been using my TTN with 70 grains of 2F for about 18 months. I have never agreed with the 97 being allowed in any class. By the time it was available to the general public all Indian wars and even the range wars had been over for a while. If you have a gun that is fast and wins by speed then you should use the 1911 45 Auto as well. It's my take and just as I believe you follow the rules, you don't have to believe in them. We have one club that I am a member in that allows one member to use the 1921 Thompson as his main match rifle. I must have read all the wrong history books.

AO, i will try i assure you. i am trying to run a 97 as good as you, maybe some day. lol

RR

You need to set your goals higher,I wish I could run my '97 like Badlands Bud or Lead Dispencer ,or run a double like Deuce Stevens (I can't run a sxs at all),Deuce is no slouch with a '97 either he took 3rd place in World Records from me with a 97.

I noticed at GA state shoot alot of the Georgia guys were runnin sxs's,The Last Stand Shoot Off is always fun to watch the top 97 shooters & the top sxs shooters goin head head.

Even with the 97 shooters you have different styles like Badlands Drifter can get 4 off in under 4 seconds with the draw two from the right.

AO

Archived