SASS Wire Forum

Which shotgun do you use

I was shooting in a match today and I realized I was the only one on my posse shooting a SxS shotgun. I thought back and I've seen only two or three SxS shotguns at matches so far this year.

I started this game in 1995, and side by sides were the rule rather than the exception then. But the last couple of years it seems like side by sides are definitely in the minority.

I shoot a couple of 19th century sidelock guns, and I have no plans to switch.

What do you all shoot?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using A Pioneer SxS, opened hammered shotgun. A terrific gun that I hope someday my skills will catchup to the quality of this great gun.

Ned

Maybe it's a Pennsylvania thing... ;)

Just got back from the Colorado State Championship, we (my wife and I)noticed after the first main match day that on our posse the only NON SxS was an '87. Not only no '97's, there were 4 of us shooting one version of an Open Top or another. First time in 12 years of shooting that has ever happened. What a great posse!

Doc Nelson

SXS's going the way of the dinosaur? Not hardly! "Round these parts there's quite a few pards still use'em! If the rumors of the 97 imports are true, barring any change I forsee the SXS becoming more in use.

Already shooters are realizing the benefit of the reliability of a shotgun with relatively few moving parts being more reliable than a pump gun.

The question seems to be which double are people shooting around here it seems. I haven't been able to keep up when I've tried a double or 87, but a lot of folks have made a successful switch.

I have 2 TTN's and a Stoeger coachgun and that's what I use for cowboy. I have a chinese 97 and use it when I shoot WB which is practically never.

SxS going out of style? Doesn't Evil Roy now use one? Some of the top shooters here in Ohio use a SxS. 97's are just not cowboy enuff. That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it!:P Rye

Most be a local club thing in your area. If you go to any large match you will see lots of top shooters going to the SxS.

Yep, a bunch of shooters have retired thier 97 and switched back to SXS. The only time I use my 97 is for Wild Bunch, course I shoot mostly BP for SASS :D .

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I was shooting in a match today and I realized I was the only one on my posse shooting a SxS shotgun. I thought back and I've seen only two or three SxS shotguns at matches so far this year.

I started this game in 1995, and side by sides were the rule rather than the exception then. But the last couple of years it seems like side by sides are definitely in the minority.

What do you all shoot?

What I'm seeing is just the opposite. In the last few years more and more folks have gone to the SXS's. I believe part of it is because more and more places now stage the long guns horizontally pointed down range. For year most places staged them vertically in racks and such. Vertically staged the 97 had the advantage of loading as you bring it to play where the SXS had to be turn over at least slightly to load then brought to play.

Next, over the long haul the 97 will fail more often than a SXS. Simple mechanics, more parts more things to go wrong.

Then you have more and more stage writers splitting the shotgun. Something like 2 shotgun then 10 rifle then 2 more shotgun. SXS’s and 97’s are about equal for the first two rounds. The 97 will lead if he can pull 4 rounds.

What do you all shoot?

I kinda prefer the SxS. It's not as fast as the '97, but it's more reliable. The '97s break down too much, and I like to be there at a match to enjoy, which I wouldn't do with a break down.

Aunt Jen

Guest diablo slim shootist

Must be a yankee thing!!!All kidding aside most are not only going

back to sxs they favor single trigger now. ;)

Just the opposite is true from what I have observed. What I see is the pendulum has definitely swung back to the double and I am part of that trend. Yesterday I only saw one 97 being used at the local match. And that was in the hands of a former world champ who has always been a 97 man.

I have a dozen or so originals and 4 Chinchesters and they all stay home these days unless I am going to a WB shoot.

My total SG arsenal is four hammer doubles, two "hammerless", three single barrel (one functional), no pumps. If I were to get another SG, it'd be an '87.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I've got a Stevens 311D and a Winchester 23.

The Stevens is a 28" 12 gage (for flying targets) and the Winnie is a 20" 12 gage.

I love them both!

Mustang Gregg

Yup, the SxS is so dependable.

And many of the top shooters have switched to the SxS, such as Evil Roy. Plus Deuce Stevens, Red River Ray both shoot the SxS and are really fast with it. As is Silver City Rebel and Dirt Merchant.

Some newer fast shooters such as Fast Eddie showing folks how to do it.

I think that has influenced many of us to reconsider the SxS and many are switching back to them. The availability of good quality tuned SKB's and Brownings have further helped but the Stoeger and stolid Baikels are still doing good service.

For stages with a little movement, the SxS can have a slight advantage over the 97 in most folks hands since you can easily dump the empties while moving.

The 97's are still popular but I see a LOT more SxS that i used to.

Those lucky folks that learned to load 4 with a 97 (Swift Stoney can sure do it!) can keep up and even exceed nearly any SxS, but that is relatively rare.

Ask any FAST SXS shooter, and they will tell ya one reason they stay with em is that way they don't NEED 3 or 4 shotguns (one to shoot, a backup, one in the shop, one to canabalize for parts).... Just sayin. I carry a Baikal double to a match with ZERO concern it will act up.

Must be a yankee thing!!!All kidding aside most are not only going

back to sxs they favor single trigger now. ;)

I am very partial to my Stoeger Supreme single trigger Coach Gun. I like it much better than my back-up gun which is also a Stoeger but with two triggers. There's really no appreciable difference in speed, but the single trigger O/U shotgun is what I have shot for years and so it just feels more natural on the Coach Gun, and I am partial to it.

RBK

Yup, the SxS is so dependable.

And many of the top shooters have switched to the SxS, such as Evil Roy. Plus Deuce Stevens, Red River Ray both shoot the SxS and are really fast with it. As is Silver City Rebel and Dirt Merchant.

I believe Evil Roy's grand daughter, Holy Terror, shoots a '97, as does Lead Dispenser and Badlands Bud (I believe) and many of the other top shooters.

Both SXSs and '97s are fast in the hands of someone who has practiced :) .

As for reliability, I have seen'em both fail --- usually at the worst possible time :angry: .

Yes, a '97 has a lot of parts, but only a few of those parts will stop it from running, and a '97 should have regular inspections of it's working parts - just like you do on your other guns.

Just comes down to whatcha like :) .

An 1887 fixed up by Lassiter with a SXS hammerless for back up. Smithy.

I shoot one of my 4 S X S, 2 - 12s and 2- 16s .....

Looking for a Hammered 16 of the made in the US type ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived