SASS Wire Forum

73 Feed Issues

Doc Cole 52765L

Today I was having problems with some of my rounds not wanting to feed properly. After firing a round and ejecting, the next round would hang up at the bottom. Could generally move around the lever and use a little extra force to get it to come up and load the next round. Any advice? I'm shooting .45s.

Thanks,

Doc

:FlagAm:

Look down in the carrier. If the round is sitting crooked, with rim over to the right side, you have a rough top edge on the mortise (window) in the frame through which rounds are loaded through the carrier. It catches the rims and won't let the round lay straight in the carrier. Usually this affects the first round you try to fire, as the mag spring is pushing hardest on the stack of cartridges at that point.

The fix is something Uberti should have done in the factory, but from about 2004 to 2008 , they didn't do it very often.

With the gun upright in normal firing position, the top part of the window between the carrier shaft and the chamber with the toggle links in it needs to be beveled so that, if a cartridge rim slips back just a little bit out of the carrier shaft, the bevel forces the rim back into the shaft and it will naturally center up and lay straight in the carrier as the carrier starts to rise.

See this web site for a good description and pics. http://www.dorseyfoto.com/73/73fix.htm

Good luck, GJ

Of course, it could be sloppy Overall Length on your loads, but you are probably past the point of loading so short that two cartridges get out into the carrier at the same time, or too long so as to have the tip of the cartridge still in the mag tube.

Also, check that you have not bent the tab on the loading gate. It has to be at a right angle to the body of the loading gate, or cartridges slip back into the loading mortise window and even jam into the lever and toggle links.

But, usually it's that nasty non-beveled mortise.

GJ

Cycle some rounds slowly to see if you can determine where the rounds are getting caught up.

If the rim is getting caught in the back, your loading gate tab may have bent back slightly. If so, you can remove it and bend it back. You can also file a chamfer on the shelf where the rim is getting caught.

Also, make sure the carrier block is well lubricated....Too Dry or fouling build up will slow it or make it

"sticky". Lifter lever spring needs to be set right too.

I loaded about 1,000 rounds a bit over optimum length. Instead of pulling bullets, I suffered through it. The top round seemed to be cocked and not straight in the carrier. Push the carrrier down by finger and then lever up and it would go every time for the entire magazine. The cure for me was to load them a hair under. You can be at the recommended OAL, but if the round is cocked, the OAL is longer.

Also, make sure the carrier block is well lubricated....Too Dry or fouling build up will slow it or make it

"sticky". Lifter lever spring needs to be set right too.

Just had everything apart for complete cleaning. What is best lubricant to use? I'm using Rem Oil right now, but also have Ballistol available.

Thanks,

Doc

Look down in the carrier. If the round is sitting crooked, with rim over to the right side, you have a rough top edge on the mortise (window) in the frame through which rounds are loaded through the carrier. It catches the rims and won't let the round lay straight in the carrier. Usually this affects the first round you try to fire, as the mag spring is pushing hardest on the stack of cartridges at that point.

The fix is something Uberti should have done in the factory, but from about 2004 to 2008 , they didn't do it very often.

With the gun upright in normal firing position, the top part of the window between the carrier shaft and the chamber with the toggle links in it needs to be beveled so that, if a cartridge rim slips back just a little bit out of the carrier shaft, the bevel forces the rim back into the shaft and it will naturally center up and lay straight in the carrier as the carrier starts to rise.

See this web site for a good description and pics. http://www.dorseyfoto.com/73/73fix.htm

Good luck, GJ

Of course, it could be sloppy Overall Length on your loads, but you are probably past the point of loading so short that two cartridges get out into the carrier at the same time, or too long so as to have the tip of the cartridge still in the mag tube.

Also, check that you have not bent the tab on the loading gate. It has to be at a right angle to the body of the loading gate, or cartridges slip back into the loading mortise window and even jam into the lever and toggle links.

But, usually it's that nasty non-beveled mortise.

GJ

Rifle had shot fine for a couple of thousand rounds. I had it apart and cleaned it and the problem started. Also changed to a new ammo supplier. I'm getting someone to check the OAL on the rounds. I asked them to be made with 1.59-1.60. I usually reload my own, but am working out of town for a few months so have to get them loaded for me. I'm reviewing the different pages about the tension on the springs and timing, too.

I should have learned these things for myself earlier. Just never had to since I bought the rifle from a good gunsmith, and never had problems until recently.

Thanks,

Doc

Just had everything apart for complete cleaning. What is best lubricant to use? I'm using Rem Oil right now, but also have Ballistol available.

Thanks,

Doc

Most folks don't lubricate the carrier block - that just attracts fouling. If anything, a light coat of RemOil or Ballistol will work, or a little Mobil 1 synthetic grease on the high points of the block (my favorite when I need something). I normally just run mine dry, but then, I shoot a lot of BP. Your current problem is almost certainly not a "carrier is not lubricated" problem. Use lubricants on the toggles and firing pin extension and lever pivot boss, grease where the lever and lifter springs fit around the lever and on the tip of the lifter arm.

You will know an overall length too long problem, as the tips of the bullets will get scraped up. The carrier shaft is a good gauge of too long a length on the cartridges. If the round fits inside the carrier shaft (just raise the carrier a little, turn gun over, lay a cartridge on the block in the open shaft, square), then it's not too long. But, asking for rounds loaded right to max length (1.600) is kinda asking for problems if the loader is not very consistent in his quality assurance. Better to load to a target of about 1.585 or 1.590 so there is room for error.

Good luck, GJ

I'd start by checking overall cartridge length.

Checking that now. New ammo supplier. Asked for 1.59-1.60.

Thanks,

Doc

Your cartridge OAL is the easiest thing to fix.

For a '73, the ideal length is found by measuring the length of the carrier and then subtracting the thickness of a cartridge rim.

The 1.59 to 1.60" is the SAAMI max, and may not be right for your rifle.

A set of digital calipers can be had at Harbor Freight for about $15 and are a good investment.

As Brasspounder mentioned, lubing the carrier is important too. Besides the sides of the block where it rides in the reciever, the lifter arm inside the block needs to be well-lubed too. White lithium or Mobil 1 Synthetic grease works great on both. If you can find it, Eezox on the sides of the block will really slick things up nicely.

Thanks,

Doc

Powdered graphite lube... for the reasons listed above.

If the problem started when you switched ammo, that is the likely culprit. If the problem started with tried and tested ammo, I would guess that the loading gate tab bent allowing the cartriage to sit too far back in the carrier.

Archived