SASS Wire Forum

Question for coin collectors

Hello the fire.

I have quite a few silver coins to sell - most are

circulated and dis-colored due to time , etc.

I have always heard that you NEVER want to polish the coins -

that they will bring more dollars if they are left "as-is".

However, when I look at e-bay - there are many coins that have been

polished - and - because they photograph much better - they are selling

and selling for "decent" prices. The unpolished ones are languishing

and not getting any bids at all.

What is the current advice now about "polish" vs. "non-polish"??

Thanks for your intelligent replies.

The reason they are selling well is silver prices are over $35 an ounce.

If it's a rare date coin, then don't polish it, EVER. It's worth much more to coin collectors.

But many average-date coins are selling well just for their silver value (around 90% silver in pre-1964 dates). But most prefer original, non-polished coins.

If you want to just remove dirt and discoloration, use Worchestershire sauce. Seriously. I learned that when I was about ten years old from an old man who lived next door to us. He took an interest in me and taught me to play chess (I forgot almost all of it) and helped me with a coin collection, which I sold for tuition money in college.

Try it on a penny or a nickel and see if it doesn't work. Just use your bare hands to clean it, wash it off with warm water, and dry it with a soft cloth.

Ok Boss

I collect Morgan Silver Dollars and Indian Head Pennies. I have some coins worth over $2k, so here is what I can tell you.

1. just because it is tarnished or circulated, if it is one of the good dates, it doesn't matter. I have an 1893 Morgan Carson City and you can barely read the date and still is worth over $300. (one unc is worth $2500...)

so check your dates and mint marks on your coins and see what you have. I can help you if you want. send me a list and I will look them up and give you ball parks)

2. Do not clean any coins you think are worth something. That DESTROYS the collector value. Some pennies are worth more for the "red tarnish". Don't touch anything but the edges of good coins.

3. if you have a coin that you don't care about selling and want it to look nice, coin shops have a special dip that will remove the tarnish but leave the "luster" on the coin.

4. Silver and gold coins will always have the metal value (silver coins are usually at least 10x face value in silver) then you add the collector value. is the coin rare. I have an 1895-O Morgan that they only made 400,000 pieces. the 1894_O they made 400M. So then the investment value jumps in....

good luck

curley

Cool info. I never have attempted to wash/polish any of my silver 'coins', but I do have a few rounds from Tri-Star and Sunshine Minting that have been cleaned with Never-Dull. Looks great...

will have to try the Worchester method from Forty Rod...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I've never heard of Never Dull. Where do you find it?

NO! it will devalue the coin!!!!!

I've never heard of Never Dull. Where do you find it?

You should be able to find it at any hardware shop or even grocery market..

http://www.nevrdull.com/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

No need to polish or clean any coin, waste of time and it might lessen value if you do. Now that being said, I do a lot of metal detecting and the coins I find can be a bit crusted with dirt, anything I think might be of value I might soaked in water with small amount gentle dish soap. In the past year I have found about $15 worth of silver (pre 1965) coins, thats somewhere near $350-$450 of silver value.

Archived