SASS Wire Forum

How to make gun rack horses

Two-Bit Charlie

I know there was an article in the "Cowboy Chronicle" on how to make horse props that you can use a long gun rests. Now that I need to make some, I don't remember when that article was printed. Can anyone help me with plans for the horse props or let me know which issue of the chronicle it was in?

Thanks in advance

Two-Bit Charlie

I know there was an article in the "Cowboy Chronicle" on how to make horse props that you can use a long gun rests. Now that I need to make some, I don't remember when that article was printed. Can anyone help me with plans for the horse props or let me know which issue of the chronicle it was in?

Thanks in advance

Two-Bit Charlie

Contact Cree Vicar Dave, he did the article I think.

Randy

Long Gun Prop

We made 4 of these for use on our range, I think Duce Stevens came up with the design, anyhow they break down for storage and with the flat top you can stage rifles, shotguns or pistols on them. They work great.

With the legs in a vertical position, like in that last photo, they are not very stable. Angle the cuts on the body so the legs are about 10 to 15 degrees forward in front and rearward on the kicking end.

I used Cree Vicar Dave's patterns and the directions were easy to follow ~ but I would do the legs differently next time for more stability.

Buena suerte,

eGG

We have shot the on the ones I posted a link on for the last 18 months, no problem with stability, they are great. With the way the legs are cut out they are very stable on uneven ground. If you think you need to make the leg cuts at an angle go right ahead. We had our monthly shoot today, and used 4 of those horses, no problem.

TB

The advantage to the traditional horse design is that is breaks down for storage, that's where the advantage stops. As a match director I have seen nothing but headaches with them from instability to guns not staying in one spot and rolling and levers closing to straight up collapse. Plus when restaging on them you are making your SxS eat 1-2 seconds automatically. Not a big deal if you don't care about that kind of stuff. But, the flat tops have been met with rave reviews. Granted they don't have the ambiance of the standard horse, I prefer to get my warm and fuzzy's from the folks in this game, not a piece of wooden prop.

When I first saw the original cow and horse design, I thought it was a great idea - simple to make and easy to store.

But I wondered how it would work and at first I found it worked pretty well. A couple years ago, we did a night shoot and I was sure surprised to almost drop my gun as I restaged it. From then on I noticed that it was so easy with a short rifle to have the front of the rifle miss and fall.

And as Deuce noted, I did have to either lean forward or take a step forward and turn the rifle upside down to be sure when I put it back. Picking up the SxS was quite easy with the removable "hump" but putting it back was difficult with or without the hump.

But the look and functionality of the flat top design looks great!!! I hope we can see more of those where I shoot. I'll have to volunteer to get some wood and try to build some.

Is there a way to make them break down into 4 pieces?

Oh, the straight legs should work well if well fitted, but I can see that by angling the legs slightly outward as suggested would let gravity help keep the legs stabilized even if the cut isn't as tight or as it wears.

Is there a pattern anywhere or is it that simple that none is needed??

I have a large paper pattern, let me see what I can do to make it digital. If someone wants to borrow it and copy it send me an email, lets see what's possible. turquoisebil@cableone.net

TB

When I first saw the original cow and horse design, I thought it was a great idea - simple to make and easy to store...Is there a pattern anywhere...

I can't tell that well from the photo, but it looks a lot like the Cree Vicar model, except not cutting the notches on each side, rather cutting straight across. Then you can add a flat piece of 1/2" plywood for the table top, with rails on each side to keep the long gun from sliding off. Seems like a simple conversion.

Personally, I like the Cree Vicar version. I made the mule for our club, named Ruth of course. I shoot a double and don't feel disadvantaged over a 97 shooter. Granted you can't just throw your firearm down, you have to place it, but so does every other shooter. We'll continue to use it. However, the next rainy day we have I'm going to pull out the pattern for the mule and see if I can't tweak it to make a flat-topped table. :)

I would like to get some kind of pattern for those, they are a lot better then the crap we have at my club

Actually I need measurements more then a pattern

36"

24"

36"

But that may not be what you had in mind :D :D

I could live with that but your right that isn't what I had in mind :lol: :lol: :D

Archived