SASS Wire Forum

Unusual Uberti 1861

Abilene, SASS # 27489

These pictures are of a charcoal blue Uberti 1861. There is something "different" about this gun. Can you spot it? I posted these on another board last year - if you saw it there and know the answer please hold off on answering to give these folks a chance.

1861-1

1861-2

1861-3

:)

An Uberti does not have that fabulous color case on the frame. Is it factory or Doug Turnbull? Colt actually made guns without the 4th screw but with the breech cuts, so that is relatively authentic. The lack of a capping groove is unusual for Uberti.

Grips look like they're burl insead of straight grain

FM

I believe that the original 1861's had fluted cylinders. I know that the 1862's had fluted cylinders.

Sam Colt died early in 1862. I have wondered what Colt pistols would have looked like if he lived at least long enough to see the SAA model.

I believe that the original 1861's had fluted cylinders. I know that the 1862's had fluted cylinders.

Sam Colt died early in 1862. I have wondered what Colt pistols would have looked like if he lived at least long enough to see the SAA model.

If he had, there probably wouldn't have BEEN an SAA. Colt didn't like the self contained cartridge. He believed that people would always want to load their own powder and ball.

You can not start a post like this and leave i just hanging out there! Now is the time to show us a photo of the gun laying across the hand or in some other way give us a visual representation of the actual size. I really think the minitures are cool and have seen many of them in magazine photos through the years and some were supposed actual firing models that used 22s or smaller custom(?) manufactured ammo. Seems I read one time that one of the old gunsmithing schools actually required students to build one of these as a finals exam project?

You can not start a post like this and leave i just hanging out there! Now is the time to show us a photo of the gun laying across the hand or in some other way give us a visual representation of the actual size....

I didn't leave you hanging, I told you it was a miniature and how big it was. I don't have any other photos, it isn't my gun. The point would be that these guns are so incredibly detailed that you can't tell it from a full-size model without a frame of reference.

There are plenty of pics of Uberti miniatures on the web, if anyone wants to see an actual comparison. Here's one: http://www.leroymerz.com/photo.php?id=156_0_2_0_M38

Archived