SASS Wire Forum

ridge on shotshell after crimping

Howdy All,

I'm getting a ridge partially around the hull only after the last stage, the crimping. The ridge is very straight and squared on it's edges. It's happening almost every hull with the AA's. It's doing it with the grey winchester wads, and several different bushings. I have gone up and down with the punch and the cam with no fix. In general, the AA's seem to be a lot rougher than the STS which I've had no problem with.

Any help would be appreciated. Stumped,

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/andym45/ridges.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/andym45/ridges2.jpg

Thanks,

Whiskey James

The newer Winchester AA hulls are two piece. The crease you are getting is at the edge of the two parts. You are putting too much pressure with either the crimp start, final crimp or both. Just back off the pressure until there no crease. It takes some adjusting. When setup right they will look like factory shells.

The newer Winchester AA hulls are two piece. The crease you are getting is at the edge of the two parts. You are putting too much pressure with either the crimp start, final crimp or both. Just back off the pressure until there no crease. It takes some adjusting. When setup right they will look like factory shells.

Agree with Marshall Wilkins about all six of his points.

That funky lip on the end will go away also.

Good Luck

I was messing around with the adjustments on my used Sizemaster today, and got the same ridges as you. On my press, the wad depth was adjusted so far down that the wad barely fit between the punch and wad guide (the guage would max out if I pulled the handle all the way down :o). I set it so the gauge barely starts to move when the handle is all the way down. This caused the one bb in the center of the crimp condition, so I moved the crimp cam down. When I did, I got the same ring as in your picture. I backed the cam off a hair, and the ridge went away and the crimps look perfect.

I would guess that too heavy of a crimp (cam adjustment) is causing your problem. Set your wad depth first, then play with the two crimp adjustments until you get a good crimp and no ridge.

Archived