SASS Wire Forum

1911-22 comparison

Trigger Mike

A pard asked me to post how the two compared so I went and shot both today. I had bought the Chiappa before I knew Sig made a 1911 in .22. The Chiappa was 299 and the Sig 379. I fired Federal soft lead, Federal FMJ, Winchester hollow point, Blazer soft lead, and CCI hollow point. The conditions were at an indoor range, no breeze, around 75 degrees.

The comparison is as follows:

The Chiappa grips are plastic and the Sig's are wood. The Chiappa has what appears to be a cosmetic grip safety. It does not move at all. The Sig not only has a functioning grip safety but the pistol will not fire with the magazine out of the pistol. The Chiappa magazine is plastic with a tab to hold the follower down to load rounds on the right side, which makes it awkward to load when holding the magazine in the right hand. The Sig has a tab on both sides of the magazine and the magazine is metal. The Chiappa has standard GI sights, the Sig has Novak like sights, but the Sig Sights also have dots so they are easier to pick up. The Chiappa slam fired twice the last time out, but did not slam fire this time. The slide did still go forward on its own when the magazine was inserted with the slide back to the rear. The Sig never did. When the slide fell on its own when the magazine inserted, each time the first round went straight up like a stove pipe jam instead of into the chamber. The Sig never had that problem. Out of 12 magazines the Chiappa jammed all but one, out of 12 magazines the Sig only jammed once, period. The Chiappa does not like soft lead rounds, and does fair with FMJ or hollow point. The Sig does not seem to care. Both seemed to be equally accurate. All guns that I shoot, shoot to the right, the Chiappa went low and right and the Sig, high and right. All rounds stayed close together and some in the same hole at 15 yards. The Sig seemed slightly heavier, and sturdier. The Sig has a couple of extra steps to disassemble though. It requires an allen wrench and a small punch of some kind for the removal of the two pins that hold the slide to the frame in order to take the slide off.

After all is said and done, the Sig was worth the extra $80. I wish now I had known about the Sig first. I do like the fact that the Chiappa is American made. Perhaps the purchase helps the citizens of Ohio as well as the local dealer. I will see if Chiappa will let me send it to them to correct the slide going forward and jam problem, clean it up and set it aside for one of my children. I will shoot the Sig a lot more often. Both were fun to shoot, though the Sig Sauer was more enjoyable.

Nice comparison. Another one to consider is the GSG 1911. It has been receiving great reviews. It sells in the $329-359 range.

Do you have one of those? I thought of that one, but I have a GSG rifle under the Colt name and it is finicky with the ammo sometimes.

Do you have one of those? I thought of that one, but I have a GSG rifle under the Colt name and it is finicky with the ammo sometimes.

Not yet. I almost bought the tactical version at a gun show for $329. The gun show was out of county, and I didn't feel like having to go pick it up (long drive) after the waiting period, so I didn't get it. Best price locally that I have seen since is $369.

I've read a ton of reviews, and people seem to love them. A lot of the parts are interchangeable with 1911's, so aftermarket support certainly isn't a problem. The main complaint people have are the expense and availability of additional mags.

Archived