SASS Wire Forum

Smooth vs. Checkered Eagle Gunfighters

Waldo Bodfish #91995

Yep, thats right, another gunfighter grip question. I am looking to purchase some Gunfighter grips for my Vaqueros and am curious if the smooth would be good enough for CAS. Everything I have read about these grips say they improve the grip. I am curious how the smooth ones hold up once your palms start getting wet, either sweat or rain. I am planning on getting the faux ivory and the checkered just dont do it for me.

I went from smooth to checkered. In the summer months when you are sweating the checkering makes all the difference in the world.

Grip surface and the importance of checkered vs smooth all comes down to YOUR grip and even your shooting style.

If you are a two handed supported shooter and you want the gun to remain LOCKED in your master grip, then checkered is likely best.

If you are a Gunfighter or a Duelist that can lock in your master grip and reach the hammer without shifting or moving your hand, then checkered is likely best.

If you are a Gunfighter or Duelist that must shift your hand to reach the hammer, then being snagged on the checkering pattern may harm you and a smooth grip is likely best.

If you are a Gunfighter or Duelist that needs the gun to move freely in your hand (a rock and cocker - like me), then the smooth grip is very likely best.

As is the answer a vast majority of the time (no matter what the question is), try 'em all and see what feels best to you.

When the answer is subjective - the only persons opinion that matters is yours.

I had the checkered Eagle grips and to be honest, that checkering is kinda rough. It is good checkering, but it gets abrasive. My hands have never been sweaty, and if it rains, I ain't shootin'. I like a smooth grip or at least a nice Stag. I vote for smooth.

I lik smooth until I shot a match in the rain

Hard to keep a grip when using full load 45s

Well, I guess I'm odd man out on this one because I have BOTH.

I have Smooth on my Ruger Sheriff .45's

I have checkered on my Ruger Sheriff .357's

I like em both about equal and can manipulate them for speed no matter which ones I'm using.

Creeker and Possum Skinner (World Champ, Jedi GF and Jedi Council Member) makes a valid point in that your shooting style might help determine which one will feel better for you.

Either way, the Eagle Gunfighter grips are nice.

..........Widder

Archived