SASS Wire Forum

OT - Military Day

I was attending the annual LPGA tournment in our town today and saw something I've never seen at the tournament before. At the 9th & 18th green the flag on the golf pin was a U.S. flag. There was a Marine stationed at each of these holes who would take the pin from the golfer's caddie each time and return it to the hole when the group was done putting. He would approach the caddie, come to attention and salute the flag. After saluting he would do an about-face and walk to the rear of the green with the flag (pin). When the group had left the green, he would march to the hole and replace the pin for the next group. He did this by coming to attention, saluting the flag, then marching smartly to his parade rest station at the back of the green until the next group approached. At the end of each of his ceremonies there was applause from the gallery. It was also touching to watch some of the pro golfers (and their caddies) who would approach the Marine and shake his hand before leaving for their next hole.

Here's a couple of pictures of the Marines in action.

Marine #1

Marine #2

I'll have to think about this. I'm just not sure how I feel about using our flag as a marker in a golf tournament.

I'm sure the sentiment was sincere, But still.....

I'll have to think about this. I'm just not sure how I feel about using our flag as a marker in a golf tournament.

I'm sure the sentiment was sincere, But still.....

Thanks, Bob. I was trying to figure out just what it was that was niggling at me about that. You nailed it. Also the commercial use of both the Flag and the Corps. One thing to have some sort of ceremonial use at the opening or closing talks/ceremonies, but having some sort of cobbled together "flag ceremony" on the greens just doesn't seem right.

Maybe next year for Military Day they could give all the proceeds from the gate to something like Wounded Warrior.

Archived