SASS Wire Forum

Bye Bye big screen

EE Taft

Lightning just blew up my big screen.....

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Time for a new TV!

~EE Taft~

Lawdy EE, so sorry to hear bout dat !!

Wish I had a big screen TV. I could play Counrty Gitar Hero on it !!;)

Surge protector could help...At least with the new one...

Texas Lizard

Had one..... <_< Best one Wally world had....Guess it weren't good enough.

It blew the TV and the Directv box.

~EE Taft~

Lawdy EE, so sorry to hear bout dat !!

Wish I had a big screen TV. I could play Counrty Gitar Hero on it !!;)

I can do that without the TV. :lol: Don't even need the XBox neither!! :P

Had one..... <_< Best one Wally world had....Guess it weren't good enough.

It blew the TV and the Directv box.

~EE Taft~

That's your problem Wally World...Might try a good computer store for one...Or you can try what Ben Franklin did...Lightning rod...

Texas Lizard

That's your problem Wally World...Might try a good computer store for one...Or you can try what Ben Franklin did...Lightning rod...

Texas Lizard

Most likely the surge came in because the lightning hit a pole on the street. Lightning rods on your house won't help. Kind of like locking the barn while the horses are still in the corral.

Also, check the Ground Rod connector at your panel. Make sure it's tight and corrosion free. Open up the breaker panel and tighten all ground and neutral connections at their respective bars. Again check for any corrosion or crud build up.

If you have alot of lighting problems in your area...get a Surge Protector install on your panel.

Then get a respectable surge protector for your new boob-tube, from some place other than Wally World.

Personnaly I only use Panamax surge protectors. And they have in and out cable conections to cover that.

I bought one about 12 years ago and it just wouldn't turn on anymore. Called the company and they replaced it with a new upgrade for $0.00!

Ned

Could the power surge have come through the cable and not the powerline?

Could the power surge have come through the cable and not the powerline?

Yup.

You need to get the best surge protector you can afford. When I lived in Florida, lightning capital of the universe, it was bad in the summer. Lightning hit a tree at the neighbor's house, traveled through the route system over to my ficus tree, then to the plumbing and blew a hole out of the tile in my shower. Looked like an RPG hit the bathroom. I had a bigass surge protector on the TV and computer but I lost the tv in the bedroom and a stereo. If it had hit 10 minutes later I would have been in the shower. What a way to go.

We rarely get lightning out here. Even though I like the energy of a good thunderstorm, I don't miss it.

EE, Contact the surge protector company, They might replace the TV due to their product not working correctly.

EE just waiting for the same to happen to my 8 year old tube type panasonic. Cant justify replacing a perfectly good TV that has no place to go other then the recycle yard. Check on your homeowners policy, it ought to cover a loss like that.

Lightning rods and surge protectors may not do the job no matter what. Had a pard with both of those things. They had a tree strike close by that went thru the well, destroyed the pump, TV, computer, mircowave etc in the house. Saddly it also killed a dog on a run which was the worst part.

Also, check the Ground Rod connector at your panel. Make sure it's tight and corrosion free. Open up the breaker panel and tighten all ground and neutral connections at their respective bars. Again check for any corrosion or crud build up.

If you have alot of lighting problems in your area...get a Surge Protector install on your panel.

Then get a respectable surge protector for your new boob-tube, from some place other than Wally World.

==============================================

Better yet, see if you can get one that's made somewhere besides China.

Truth of the matter is that rarely does the surge from lightning come in on the lines from the electrical utility company. It will usually come in on the phone and cable lines. Surge protection can help but if it is a close strike, no surge protection made will save your equipment. As Presidio stated, a good solid ground at your electrical service, incoming phone and cable is essential. The key is to ground the surge before it makes it into your house. The only protection against a close strike is to have all cords (electrical, phone, cable, ect) disconnected when lightning is present.

The main cause of electronics damage is not caused by lightning strikes, but rather voltage surges and dips from the utility (electric) company. In this case a whole house surge protector, along with individual device protection is highly desirable. The whole house protection usually is installed at your meter can or main panel. The individual device protection is installed at the unit itself and must include protection for any connection to the device.

No protection device will stop a close or direct lightning strike from destroying electronic equipment, anything with a circuit board is vunerable including microwaves, phones, refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers and damn near everything else that plugs into the wall.

Well, the insurance man said that the TV cost would at least be Partly covered if not fully cover.

The TV was pretty old in terms of electronics at about 8 or 9 years. It was a console type big screen.

I think I might like the new flat screen we wind up getting.

~EE Taft~

Archived