SASS Wire Forum

WAAAAY off topic

Notaclue. The stuff seems vaguely supernatural to me.

All I want to dois transfer a fairly bright light from a HOT source (small ight bulb) into a place where I don't want any heat at all and I want the light to go into every place inside the place, same as a light bulb.

This isn't magic and I doubt it's very difficult. I just don't know how to do it myself. How do I make the end send the light in every direction? I can get it from the source to the receiving end, but HOW DO I MAKE IT SHINE ALL OVER?

All I want to dois transfer a fairly bright light from a HOT source (small ight bulb) into a place where I don't want any heat at all and I want the light to go into every place inside the place, same as a light bulb.

This isn't magic and I doubt it's very difficult. I just don't know how to do it myself. How do I make the end send the light in every direction? I can get it from the source to the receiving end, but HOW DO I MAKE IT SHINE ALL OVER?

Try electroluminescent wiring....

Run it just like wiring.

It's pretty bright, runs on either electric or batteryies, and no heat....

You can buy the stuff online....

Same stuff as my light up B-Western shirt!

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Run it just like wiring.

JJJ-D

Lol.. yeah JJJ's is very BRIGHT ... lol.. you do amazie me brother..

I would expect any supply house that sells it would be able to help. I believe there are ends that diffuse it in different directions, as we diffuse it for lighting used in camera inspection at work.

I was a FO Tech for 10 years, ran literally hundreds and hundreds of miles of it, terminated/spliced many, many, many thousands of FO strands. I was certified by every manufacturer of FO cable/equipment to install and maintain their products. Granted I've been out of it for awhile but basic principles haven't changed.

So with that, sorry, but you can't do that with it. I know magazines show pictures of fibers with light exploding from the ends and folks wearing sunglasses inside for shielding but it is for illustration only. When I was working our office got this type of request on an almost monthly basis. The old FO lights that were available in places like Spencer's and others were made of a larger core type of plastic, not glass, a FO that wasn't used for comm, data, and such. Strictly novelty.

The typical multi-mode FO strand passes light through a core of 62.5 microns, way thinner than the average human hair. Even with a bundle of FO strands in a typical cable of say 144 strands you might (big might) be able to see a pin point of light in a room with natural lighting. Single-mode FO has a larger core (100 microns) and the light would be more visible but still not enough to light a room or area. Most FO now days runs with a laser source of light where in the early days LED light was primary. It's a fantastic medium for passing information with one pair of FO strands capable of carrying more info than a 900 pair copper trunk.

We used to test/verify (quick test mind you) cable on a reel before installing by literally putting a large dark box over a tech with one exposed end inside with him, them passing a strong light over the other exposed end having him verify all strands were intact. Exposing strand ends to direct sun sometimes was barely enough of a light source.

Hope this helps,

Safe trails.

CKid

Run it just like wiring.

JJJ-D

Dang, why didn't I think of that? Thanks, I'll check it out...again.

I wonder where you got the idea in the first place.

Archived