SASS Wire Forum

Horse shoes

Subdeacon Joe

Joe, my dad was involved in one of the last military horse marches back in 1939. They went from Ft. Sill to Ft. Sam Houston in trucks, got all the horses, artillery, supply wagons and everything else ready, then marched back to Ft. Sill. The return trip took two full weeks.

Anyway, some of the horses were known as foot draggers, and had to be re-shod every day. They would literally wear out a horseshoe by dragging their feet on the pavement.

I don't know what the highway numbers were back then, but they basically followed what is now I-35 to Ft. Worth, the NW to Wichita Falls, then up to Ft. Sill.

My brother Sawyer, wrote a story about the march for the Cowboy Chronicle several years ago. I've got it on my home computer, if you're interested I'll send it to you.

Joe, my dad was involved in one of the last military horse marches back in 1939. They went from Ft. Sill to Ft. Sam Houston in trucks, got all the horses, artillery, supply wagons and everything else ready, then marched back to Ft. Sill. The return trip took two full weeks.

Anyway, some of the horses were known as foot draggers, and had to be re-shod every day. They would literally wear out a horseshoe by dragging their feet on the pavement.

I don't know what the highway numbers were back then, but they basically followed what is now I-35 to Ft. Worth, the NW to Wichita Falls, then up to Ft. Sill.

My brother Sawyer, wrote a story about the march for the Cowboy Chronicle several years ago. I've got it on my home computer, if you're interested I'll send it to you.

Great story, Pulp. And, yes, I would love to read that story. Things like that need to be passed on, I think, so that they don't get lost.

I would like to read that story too Pulp

Joe I save that book to my computer so I can read it better later Thanks

I would like to read that story too Pulp

Joe I save that book to my computer so I can read it better later Thanks

I kind of figured you would like it.

If you follow that link, then put "army manual" in the search window on that page you get all sorts of stuff. Cooks, bakers, surgeons, staff, physical training, lord knows what else.

I'm trying to finagle one out of a friends father-in-law who was in the cavalry about the same time and made a trip from Ft. Brown, TX all the way to El Paso. Danged ole coot (and I say this with great respect) just grumbles and says no one wants to hear that stuff....especially details.

I'm trying to finagle one out of a friends father-in-law who was in the cavalry about the same time and made a trip from Ft. Brown, TX all the way to El Paso. Danged ole coot (and I say this with great respect) just grumbles and says no one wants to hear that stuff....especially details.

Ply him with spiked coffee and assure him that there are lots of people who would love to hear the day to day details. Drag him to a Civil War or Indian War re-enactment and get him talking to the cav guys. When they find out he was in the 'hoss calvery' they will bombard him with questions.

Joe and Shoer, I sent you the story in a PM. I have a photo of the 12th FA leaving Ft. Sam Houston, but I can't figger out how to attach it to a PM. If y'all will PM me your e-mail I'll send you the picture.

Joe and Shoer, I sent you the story in a PM. I have a photo of the 12th FA leaving Ft. Sam Houston, but I can't figger out how to attach it to a PM. If y'all will PM me your e-mail I'll send you the picture.

You need to have it uploaded to a photosharing site such as Photobucket. Then you just cut & paste the URL into the PM.

And, thank you! That is a great read. You, or your brother, should submit it to the 12th (although the story says the 18th? http://www.18th-artillery.com/) FA. They would love that bit of their history.

I've got photobucket, but it's a restricted site from work. When I get home I'll send you the photo.

Re: sending the info to the 3-18th, we did that. That's where we got the photo. I found their website before we wrote the story and communicated with them. They didn't even know about the march. Anyway, it turned out Dad was the oldest living member of the 3rd-18th, so the webmaster came and visited with Dad, brought him a T-shirt and some other stuff, and learned a great deal about the history of the 3rd-18th during WWII. They didn't have much info about the unit during the war. Dad actually has a sort of book/diary from landing on Omaha Beach, then all the way across France and into Germany, and the webmaster drooled over it.

Sadly, the 3rd-18,553 Association had some squabbling in their ranks, and some very hard feelings were created between members. The website has been changed around some, and I can't find the story on it anymore, or the photo. There still is some info about Dad, and a photo of him receiving a Bronze Star on the website.

Pulp I love the story but I have to laugh at the ribbons part

Archived