SASS Wire Forum

Newbie Reloader

OK, after a lot of online research I've decided to take the plunge and begin reloading. I've decided to go with the Lee Classic Turret Press. Now don't try to talk me out of it! :lol: I just need some advice on what to get with it.

I already have:

Lee Reloading Manual

Tumbler

Calipers

Cases (.38 sp.)

The kit from Kempf's looks pretty good. But ...

Are the dies that come with the kit the best choice? Are they carbide? Is carbide even necessary?

What is the Factory Crimp Die?

Is a powder scale necessary?

What else (beside powder, bullets and primers) will I need?

Now don't worry about insulting my intelligence, I'm pretty ignorant about reloading. I may not even be asking the right questions.

Thanks, pards.

DEW

Edit: Here's the link to Kempf's:

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

Howdy

With all due respect, based on your questions, you still have a lot of reading to do.

Most of your questions will be answered if you take the time to read the Lee manual on your list.

Carbide is not necessary to load 38 Special, but it is better. Carbide dies means you do not have to lube your cases. One less step in the operation. Well worth the extra $10 or so for carbide dies.

The Factory Crimp die squeezes the crimp in radially. It is a separate die. Most dies are designed to seat and crimp in one step. I will get a lot of flack for this, but if you want to learn to reload, learn to seat and crimp in one step in a standard seating/crimp die. The Lee Factory Crimp die is often a crutch for reloaders who have not taken the time to learn to set up a seating/crimp die to seat and crimp in one step, the way it was designed.

It looks like you get a 4 die set with 38 Special. If you check the Lee website, I believe that is a carbide set and it includes a factory crimp die. But all I did is check the Lee website. You can do the same. Or ask those guys, they should be able to tell you.

Lee

Yes, you MUST have a scale. How else will you know exactly how much powder you are putting in your cases.

The Lee Auto Disk Powder measurer is also good to have and is very consistent and accurate. A decent bullet puller is a handy tool to have.

DAS

No offense taken, DJ. I've read that info from Lee, but it didn't make sense until I read your explanation.

And I certainly don't think I'm ready to reload, yet. I'm just ready to BUY the stuff! :)

It's not brain surgery but takes patience and due dilligence. There are some very informative videos on youtube that explain a lot of what you're not understanding.

OK, after a lot of online research I've decided to take the plunge and begin reloading. I've decided to go with the Lee Classic Turret Press. Now don't try to talk me out of it! :lol: I just need some advice on what to get with it.

I already have:

Lee Reloading Manual

Tumbler

Calipers

Cases (.38 sp.)

The kit from Kempf's looks pretty good. But ...

Are the dies that come with the kit the best choice? Are they carbide? Is carbide even necessary?

Yes, a good choice and they are carbide. As mentioned carbide is best so you don't need special lube for cases.

What is the Factory Crimp Die?

It helps the new reloader to get a good crimp after setting the bullet depth with the bullet seating die. It is not required but a good tool.

Is a powder scale necessary?

It is a good tool to verify what powder is really being thrown by your powder measure.

What else (beside powder, bullets and primers) will I need?

I use a Chamfer tool to take any "edge" off of new or stressed brass. And you will need a bullet puller for the rare mistake. Bullet Puller

Eventually, you may want to buy an inexpensive caliber to measure your cases or bullets.

Now don't worry about insulting my intelligence, I'm pretty ignorant about reloading. I may not even be asking the right questions.

Thanks, pards.

DEW

Edit: Here's the link to Kempf's:

https://kempfgunshop...emart&Itemid=41

Also, check with your local pards to have them help you with the initial set up and help getting started. It will save you a lot of time and maybe frustration. So that you can enjoy loading.

I Have both a digital scale and a LEE scale that came with a reloading kit.

I find I still use the LEE scale more than the digital. The digital started acting up and I just parked it in the cabinet and that is where it is still today.

I load commercially on several presses. Lee and Dillon. I have LEE dies and RCBS dies. I do not have a LEE Factory Crimp die in my shop. I have been using use the Bullet Seating/Roll Crimp dies for ever. It takes maybe 2 minutes to adjust the Seating/Crimp die. And it needs to be adjusted as the weather turns from cold to hot and from hot to cold. It's not much but is required to keep the length correct. As is cleaning out the lube out of the die every day before starting.

I too have the Lee Classic 4-hole turret. You will be very pleased with this set-up. I would suggest that you pay a few dollars and up-grade to the Auto PRO Powder dispenser, and I find the Lee Scale very coarse and hard to read. The best Powder Scale to me is the Hornady Magnetic Scale. It works very accurately and you don't have to always be buying batteries as you would with a digital. You will also find a Primer pocket cleaner to be very helpful. You should be good to go. The set-up is easy and you will find the Lee equipment as good as any for the money. Gracos Kid :rolleyes:

Here is what I use to load my 38sp:

BearCreek 158gr rnfp bullets (they are right near you in Waterford but call them at (209) 874-4322 They are a molycoated bullet and best to use.

Lee Carbide dies (can get them and a shell holder at Midway)

I also suggest you get a Lee Auto Prime. They are the best way to seat yer primers. I sit on the floor and watch tv and seat all my primers by hand (and be sure to run a thumb over each one before settin them down. You will never have a high primer.) get this at Midway too.

I use Winchester primers mostly. Get em at a gun shop near you or a gun show or even at Midway.

I use Bullseye powder. Been loadin 38s with it since about 1970. If you want my load data email me.

If you follow the steps in your Lee Modern Reloading you will have no problem makin up yer boolits

any questions, just holler

curley

btw

here is how I load my: 380, 38sp, 45lc, 45acp,9mm and my 12ga shotshells...

My Loading Table

I loaded many .38s with Lee's 3-die carbide set and then added the factory crimp die. One reason was 10,000 pieces of mixed brass and getting a good crimp out of every one without trimming to length. You can/should buy Lee dies from a mail order firm such as MidwayUSA or similar. You can find them on sale at discounted prices. You can buy a decent scale for $20-25 at a gunshow or match. I just sold a like new Dillon for $20. A media separator is nice to remove the media from your tumbled brass.

I have mostly used Winchester primers. I've used Bullseye, American Select and W231 powders. .38s are very forgiving and yet accurate. Hard to go wrong with the most common. Bullet weights and shapes are numerous. May make a difference in your rifle. Do not buy large quantities until you find out if your guns are suitable. Dillon has an inexpensive 105 gr FP that has no recoil.

Great advice. Thank you all. I might post an update after awhile to let you know how it all turned out.

DOG EARS, TRY U-TUBE FOR ALL THE MAKES OF PRESSES.

GUN E SACK

I've had a Lee turret for 10 years. It's the one I recommend for new reloaders.

I do not use the auto index on my Lee. I usually de-prime the cases after shooting and put them in the bin to be loaded later.

I used the Lee scale occasionally but then I got a digital one on sale from Midway that's easier to use and more accurate. I don't use it much though as I shoot BP mostly and just fill the case..

I only use a factory crimp die on my 44-40s.

I used the Lee Classic Turret for years up until a few days ago when I got a Dillon 550B. That kit looks pretty nice, but I would ask if it can be upgraded to the Pro Auto Disc powder measure. If not, you can just purchase everything individually for a little more money. The Lee 4-die set is carbide, and the factory crimp die is great.

Other things needed will be a scale and digital calipers. I bought the Lee scale when I started, but quickly upgraded to a vintage Redding that I bought on ebay. The Lee scale was accurate enough, but was annoying to use. I bought the stainless steel digital calipers from Harbor Freight. I had some Mitutoyo calipers from work that I compared them to, and they worked just as well. They're still working after about eight years, so I have no problem recommending them.

A lot of cowboy action shooters use Federal primers because they are the softest. This could be important if you are going to use light hammer springs in your guns.

I use the Lee 4-die set for .38 Special. While some may not consider Lee dies to be top-o'-the-line, one factor in their favor is the rubber O-ring under the locking ring. It helps keep the die from getting out of adjustment during use.

Although Driftwood is entirely correct regarding proper setup on the seating & crimp die, I do use the Lee facory crimp die. If your mongrel brass is not uniform in length & casemouth camfer, the Lee FCD for .38 resizes the completed round, ironing out any minor bulges which could keep a round from chambering properly.

Archived