SASS Wire Forum

45-70 reloading inquiry

Howdy pards,

Any thoughts about about relaoding Goex FFg with a 405gr projectile? This will be used in the H&R Buffalo Classic. I am thinking of getting a set of used RCBS dies for it. Figure on getting the bullets from Buffalo Arms (pre-lubed with SPG).

Anyway, just curious of what to be aware of or any other better ideas regarding this cartridge and bullet weight.

I did google it and found this:

http://www.cascity.com/article0899-2.htm

Thanks ~

GG ~ :FlagAm:

It'll work. I would prefer a bit of Swiss for accuracy, but Goex will do. The key is consistency. If possible drop powder through a drop tube (I use a copper basin supply tube clamped near the bench) and a thin card or milk carton wad compressed 1/16" on top the powder, then thumb seat bullets in the flared (previously fired) case, no crimp. Leave em just like that.

Gunner, what purpose will you use this round for ?

Strictly for 'long range' side matches and general plinking.

Good question Mr. West

Thanks AJ!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Heavier bullets for real long range (over 300yd), like the 535gr Postell. Most of the stuff is under 300yd and the 400gr will do fine. Drop tube if you want, but settle and compress the powder. Wads if you want, play with the loads for a bit and find out what your gun likes. Higher quality powder will help with consistency, wads protect the base of the bullet. Lubed wads can contaminate powder in loads not fired for long periods.

It's a real journey trying to sort out such a simple sounding thing. Found out the hard way not to seat the bullet at the lands, fouling will make chambering a chore after a few rounds.

CR

A longer/heavyer bullet will hold up better at longer ranges and drift less in the wind ....

It really helps if bullets are at least semi-pointed as the faster a bullet loses speed (low BC)the more it drifts and drops...

I would also suggest a very slight crimp be applied both for ease of chambering and to help get a more consistant bullet pull ....

Swiss is also a better choice than Goex ....

A thin wad cut from Auto Gasket making sheets (get the brown stuff)seated on top of the powder will help protect the bullet base .... Use a drop tube (less fouling)and compress the load between 1/8 and 1/16th. of an inch, Crimp to hold the bullet in place ...... My punch gives me wads that are .460 in diameter and they work real good ....

Jabez Cowboy

Look up Sagebrush Products and see if they have a bullet you like. Harlan is good people to deal with!

He will be at the "Q" next week outside of Forsyth, Mt.

For what you want to do, Goex will work just fine and is much cheaper than Swiss.

Goggle, BPCR forums and see what happens.

Cheers,

LG

Gunner, the 405gr bullet will be accurate out to 300yds, with 68gr FFg and a fiber wad. Be sure to expand the case 0.001 to 0.002 neck tension for better accuracy. Crimp only to remove the bell - No More Than That

For long range 45-70 BP cartridge shooting thru my Pedersoli Trapdoor (still have) and Pedersoli Sharps (sold it last year), I have been using (about ten years now) Montana Precision Swaging .45 405 gr. Hollow Base RN bullets, sized to .458, and lubed with SPG. It has three wide lube grooves and the hollow base making it much like a Civil War Mini. No wad over powder. Powder is Goex Cartridge Grade, and I still have about 3 pounds left. I don't think Goex makes the cartridge grade any more. Size wise it was like halfway between FFg and FFFg. I have always followed the late Spence Wolf's instructions "to the letter" (brass prep, flash hole sizing, loading tube, powder compressor, bullet seating) when reloading 45-70's. Check out www.the45-70book.com . The hollow base expands into the rifling for great accuracy.

Cabelas carrys MPS bullets from time to time. For more info call 406 494 0600 or e-mail mtprecswaging@bigskyhsd.com . MPS does not have a website.

Chicken Coop

Archived