SASS Wire Forum

Picked up the new True Grit movie last night

Go West

Stopped after work and bought the new True Grit movie. Comes in Blue Ray & DVD in the same package. I had forgotten how good it was and enjoyed it like I hadn't seen it before. We've been watching some pretty poor fare on Netflicks of late and it was refreshing to watch something really good. If you haven't seen it, I bet you'd like it, too.

I'm probable in the minority, but I was disapointed by the movie after all the hype. I thought Jeff Bridges was trying to emulate the "Duke", gruff, drunk, etc. He just didn't come across for me, I thought he overacted, his voice, and mannerism. Didn't feel any tension nor buildup to the confrotation shoot-out. Acting was sometimes wooden. MT

If you liked the new one, you must not remember the old one. Bridges mumbled so I could barely understand him, never seemed real. Scenes were so dark I had trouble seeing. I guess if all you have to compare it with is the current crop of movies, it might be "OK".

I got it in the mail a couple days ago, having pre-ordered it from Amazon. I must say that, while we all have our preferences, every cowboy will likely enjoy this movie as well as the original classic AND the Charles Portis book. Each is absolutely delightful and each has its strengths. Get all three and enjoy!

Got it Tuesday for $15 at Waly World and finally watched it last night. I much prefer this to the original version and find the acting comment to be humorous, John Wayne as 'Rooster' was the same character that was featured in every John Wayne movie. I have often heard it said that John Wayne never acted, he just played himself. The Bridges 'Rooster' came across as a completely different personality, within the confines of the same role, and one who was much less a superman than the Duke was. Glad I didnt have to work opposite of this Ned Pepper, he spit all over everbody ever time he spoke! As usual the modern research into settings, weapons, costume and gear was incomparable. No one will ever replace the Duke but it just isnt the same to compare an old B-Western style to the modern way of recreating an actual historical environment and the less polished characters it would have generated.

How does it compare to the old in terms of the more graphic scenes? I ask because I bought the original some time ago and watched with the younguns, 4 and 7. Can't remember but I think it was G or PG rated, but a little intense for kids. Of course they loved it especially the action scenes.

I think the new one is PG 13?

I kept trying to think about what was different between the two actors who played the part. It hit me while watching a preview on TV. John Wayne wore the patch over his left eye and Bridges wore it over the right eye. Did anyone else pick up on this and I wondered if this was done so that the two would be different in some way.

I liked the new version as well (could have been better without the final scene). And I was skeptical about Jeff Bridges going in. However, I think he did a very good job.

If the original had cast a female lead as good as the one in the new version I think the original would have won an Oscar for John Wayne.

Edited because huked on fonix wurked four mi.

I watched it last night. I think that I liked the old version better. Jeff Bridges lacked the presence that The Duke had. Mattie was really annoying in the original though; the new Mattie was a huge improvement. She carried the movie while the Rooster character became a supporting role.

I liked the ending of the original better. Like all Cohen brothers movies, the new version had a pretty dark ending. I don't need rainbows and unicorns or anything, but I don't want to be depressed after watching a movie either.

Jeff Bridges is one of my favorite actors. I thought the movie was great. I plan to buy it.

Roy

Quick Will, a bit more graphic but not so much as to seem gratuitous, like many modern shoot-em-ups. I think the knifing in the cabin was probably the most gore shown in the movie and that was not over the top in my opinion. What might disturb some is the seeming lack of compassion for any victims, good or bad!

When it first came out I watched the old one the night before I saw the new one. Much the same and yet quite different. Like em both, but the new is better. I don't think Jeff was trying to emulate the Duke, he was playing the part from the book as the rest of the characters were.

I had forgotten how good it was and enjoyed it like I hadn't seen it before.

Sounds like your getting close to that "only needs to own one movie, it's new to him every day" :lol:

Palo (who currently only needs two)

I got it in the mail a couple days ago, having pre-ordered it from Amazon. I must say that, while we all have our preferences, every cowboy will likely enjoy this movie as well as the original classic AND the Charles Portis book. Each is absolutely delightful and each has its strengths. Get all three and enjoy!

PLUS ME!!! ;)

I tried to see it without comparing it to the original. I liked it. The Mattie and LaBeef characters are a large improvement over the originals, Hailee Steinfeld particularly.She's got quite a career ahead of her, if she can avoid the pitfalls of Hollywood. See Lindsay Lohan- a good start in the "Parent Trap" remake, and then- kaboom!. The "closer to the book" claims for it didn't turn out to be true, there were scenes in it which weren't in the book- the hanged man way up in the tree, a couple others.

I watched it last night. I think that I liked the old version better. Jeff Bridges lacked the presence that The Duke had. Mattie was really annoying in the original though; the new Mattie was a huge improvement. She carried the movie while the Rooster character became a supporting role.

I liked the ending of the original better. Like all Cohen brothers movies, the new version had a pretty dark ending. I don't need rainbows and unicorns or anything, but I don't want to be depressed after watching a movie either.

Frank,

She is the central character in the book, so of course Rooster SHOULD be a supporting role. I haven't got to the end of the book yet, so I don't know which ending is more true to the book, but I liked the ending of the JW "True Grit" better myself.

Possum

I'll hold off on purchasing the new version for awhile, but I did buy the original at Walmart the other day for $7.00.

Roy

Was always kinda the same about Connery being James Bond, didnt care that much fer the later wannabeez in that role. To my surprise the newest guy is making some really good movies and is a totally different character, less smooth and handsome and not as slick under danger but more realistic as a tough guy JB with some clay feet in spots. Isnt it great that there are so many choices for us to pick from?

Watched it last night. I thought it was a Good movie! I think if it wasn't a remake of a John Wayne movie, most would say it was a Good Western?

Most of use have seen the Original so many times it's hard to see it being redone? I don't think they are trying to replace the Duke!!!!!!!!!

I'm just glad that they finally made a new Western Movie :)

P.S. I'm going out and buy it today so i can watch it again, you allways see things you missed the First time????????

I liked Hailee Stienfeild as Mattie and Matt Damon as LaBoeuf much better in the new movie. I think Duke and Jeff Bridges both did an excellent job of portraying my Uncle Rooster.

Respectfully

Rufus (by gobs) Cogburn

BTW, Amazon has the new one on BluRay/DVD Combo + Digital Copy (?) for $14.99 WITH FREE SHIPPING.

Special Features

Mattie's True Grit HD

From Bustles to Buckskin - Dressing for the 1880s HD

Colts, Winchesters & Remingtons: The Guns of a Post-Civil War Western HD

Re-Creating Fort Smith HD

The Cast HD

Charles Portis - The Greatest Writer You've Never Heard Of... HD

The Cinematography of True Grit HD

True Grit Theatrical Trailer HD

The book has a dark ending; it is a reminiscence told by a middle-aged one-armed spinster. It's not a "Coen brothers" ending; it's a Charles Portis ending.

It's one reason I prefer today's movie making style. Back when the JW movie was made, everything had to be happy. Instead of Mattie losing her arm, which probably accounted for the fact that she remained unmarried back then, Kim Darby just ends up with the arm in a sling-- everything will be swell and she'll visit the old fat man now and again.

The new version is much better from the standpoint of my own taste. I like a lot of the old westerns, but mostly the ones where the sentimentality is tuned down a ways.

I also like the movie alot - my daughter and I watched when we were stayin' at the Hampton during the Indiana Black Powder Guild Shoot a few weeks ago....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived