SASS Wire Forum

Stokeing the 97 on the clock

Okay, I just re-read the Handbook.

To quote it...

16. Shotguns are always staged open with magazine and chambers empty and are loaded on the

clock unless the stage begins with the shotgun in the shooter’s hands. Mule eared shotguns

can be cocked at the beginning of a scenario, whether staged or in the shooter’s hands. Long

guns are never staged with their muzzles on the ground.

And that's the only info I saw on the loading of shotguns.

I vaguely remember that the handbook used to say you could only load 2 at a tine in a 97, unless the stage description specifically said it was okay to stoke on the clock.

I also vaguely remember a few months ago a comment was made in passing in an article in the Chronicle that they were considering changing the rule to allow for the on the clock stokeing of the 97 (and I assume the 87) on every stage.

Based upon the above quote from the handbook, I no longer see the limit of loading only 2 at a time. Has the rule been changed? Or did I miss something in the handbook as I was re-reading it

I humbly request opinions, and if possible, clarifications, on this issue.

I don't know if the rules have changed, but I do know I have seen exactly ONE person in the last 12 years that may have been able to stoke the tube on a 97 fast enough to not lose time versus the standard SASS ways of loading.

The rules STILL limit a pump or lever shotgun to loading two rounds at a time. You missed it in the Handbook.

Coffinmaker

Re-looking....

Ah!

Pump and lever action shotguns are allowed to load no more than two live rounds at a time

in the main match stages unless specified in the stage description. In team events, shotguns

may be loaded to their maximum magazine capacity.

Okay, there it is.

Thanks to Coffinmaker for prompting me to take another look.

Man, do I feel silly right about now... :)

Archived