SASS Wire Forum

Help needed

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

Sam

Did you lighten the lever spring? I talked with Silver City Rebel a year ago about my Stoeger and he indicated that over-lightening that spring can produce the result you describe.

Cassalong Hopidy

There are two causes of this. The common one is from lightening the top lever spring too much. Sometimes they will work for a while after lightening that spring, but will later start shooting open. Possibly you could add a washer or two on the end of the spring to get a little more tension, without having to replace the spring.

The other cause is a mis-mating of the locking bolt with the under lugs on the barrel. This is usually easily fixed, but is best left to a gunsmith that knows of the problem and how to fix it correctly. There also can be excessice wear at this point, and may take some tig welding to build up the locking lugs, and tighten things up.

RBK

As previously mentioned you can add a washer or two under the spring to add a little more tension. If the rear lug is worn or rounded they require a little welding to build it back up and square the edge. I just had mine repaired by Run-N-Iron in Bertrand, NE who did a great job.

TWT

The gun is fairly new, less than a year, and not used very much. I bought it from a shooter who had it worked on by a gunsmith, but he never liked it or shot it much. I got it about a month ago and have been shooting it ever since. Yesterday it started popping open on the second shot.

I'm sure that the lever spring has been either lightened or replaced with a lighter spring. It doesn't look like anything other than spring lightening has been done. The locking lugs don't appear to be worn or even smoothed up.

I will try replacing the spring with a stronger spring and see what happens.

Other than that, I really like the shotgun. Having been a '97 shooter for the last 15 years it's a hoot going to a double. To my surprise, it seems to be just as fast. At least it is when it doesn't pop open!

Sam, the stronger lever spring is a quick fix, but as Rio and T W T mentioned, the real cause is that the locking lugs are only partially connecting. Sometimes, the smith smooths that area - which makes the problem worse. Unless you address the locking lug, it will mostly likely happen again.

Dakota Doc Martin, SASS #21774, explains it well:

Stoeger Lock Up

The locking lugs did not appear to have been touched at all. The bluing was still on the sliding part and the barrel part still has tool marks. Looking at the way the two parts mate together, it was evident that they were not in full contact. One side had a ridge and was higher than the other.

I sprayed the two sides with dykum blue and honed the barrel lug to the point that it mates evenly all the way across. I'll find out at the match Sunday if this has helped.

Of course I may be finding out why I got the gun so cheap!!!!!

Archived