SASS Wire Forum

My Dillon came today!

Buckshot Frank

I took the day off today so I could mess around with the new press (550B). I was bummed when it wasn't delivered last night, but I got lucky and it was delivered at 11am today. I spent about 5 hours mounting it and setting everything up. I know that is a long time, but Im a perfectionist when it comes to some things.

After I got everything set-up, I made about 150 rounds. Overall, things went well. I did have two issues. The first was that at some point, I noticed that the spring on the powder measure cam was disconnected (the leg had come out of the hole). I have no idea how long it was like that, but it didn't seem to affect anything. I experimented with powder throws both with and without the spring connected and they measured the same. I also went back and shook every round to make sure that they all had powder, and they did. Maybe the fail-safe saved me.

The second problem occuured at the end of my reloading session. The primers quit feeding when the primer tube was running low. It didn't happen on the first tube though, so I would think that everything is adjusted correctly. I didn't investigate much, since I was tired of messing with the press. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow.

Overall, I am pleased with the press. It is going to save me a lot of time!

As to the primers....I used to get lazy and not finish the last part where you seat the primer....if you don't push that handle back that final distance...you will end up with primerless rounds.....have fun, I'm still learning myself.

KK

Ref the primers failing to feed, the weight of the plastic follower (if I remember to stick it down in the tube on top of the primers) keeps'em coming on my 650s. If it was in the tube, you may have a little inspectin to do. If the prob aint immediately apparent, give Dillon a call. They'll talk ya thru it.

CCI and lesser primers that may have an ocasional out of round primer that may cause an issue with a primer dragging in the tube. Federals have never done that to me. Also "recycling" primers that have been on the bench, etc is a good way to pick up a grain of powder that ends up wedged between the primer and the tube. If ya have primers loose, put em in yer tray and blow on em to make sure any loose powder grains are gone before ya tube em up.... Overall, the Dillon is still the best show in town, but they do have a bit of a learning curve.

Put a piece of brass (I use a 45 acp) on the end of the primer follower to add a bit more weight.

This helps to keep the primers moving right to the last drop.

Found this on the Brian Enos site years ago. Good place for Dillon tips.

Hey Frank

Are you and Cass going to the Antelope Club tommorrow for the shoot? If so, I'll talk to you tommorrow. If not, congrats on the press.....you won't be sorry!

BTW: The match is ALL in the shade with at least 2 large fans blowing on you.

C.S.

Hey Frank

Are you and Cass going to the Antelope Club tommorrow for the shoot? If so, I'll talk to you tommorrow. If not, congrats on the press.....you won't be sorry!

BTW: The match is ALL in the shade with at least 2 large fans blowing on you.

C.S.

Yes- we'll be there. We planned to check out the Antelope shoot last month, but it fell on the same weekend as Miakka. See you there.

I have made thousands and thousands of rounds through a 550 and 650 with no primer feeding issues using Federal and Winchester primers. I did have a buddy that was using the large tube with small primers and it would jam and put them in upside down etc……make sure you are using the correct tube.

I have made thousands and thousands of rounds through a 550 and 650 with no primer feeding issues using Federal and Winchester primers. I did have a buddy that was using the large tube with small primers and it would jam and put them in upside down etc……make sure you are using the correct tube.

I changed it over to the small primer feed mechanism and magazine. I loaded the first 50 or so with some Winchester primers that I had in the Lee press. Then I loaded a magazine of Federals. I had no primer issues until there were about 6 primers left of the Federals. I'm guessing that the mechanism just got dirty (new parts breaking in) combined with less weight pushing the primers down due to the magazine being almost empty. I'm going to take the primer feed out and clean everything with alcohol again. I'm also going to touch up the plastic follower; it has some molding marks on it that could be getting hung up in the magazine. I'm not really that concerned about the primer feed issue yet, since I haven't had time to troubleshoot it. I'm sure it will be something simple.

I did play around with the powder measure bell crank spring to try to determine if the rounds that I made when the spring was disconnected are safe. The spring doesn't look like it does much. It seems to affect the timing of the bell crank cam which get moved by the fail safe rod anyways. What is the purpose of the bell crank cam? It makes the powder measure function clunky.

Archived