SASS Wire Forum

Hey Target Builders - I need some help

Dang It Dan 13202

So, I am working on a target that has to "hold" a clay pigeon firmly in place. It can't just hang on something, or be cradelled, it has to be held so if the holder moves it stays in place.

What I am having trouble with is that the holder also needs to be hearty enough to stand up to being shot - a lot!

Any ideas or pictures would be great.

Dang It Dan

I hope this makes sense. Based on what we've used.

Parts list.

Rebar or rods stock

1/4" x 2" angle iron

One piece of rebar at desired height will ultimately be driven firmly into ground to serve as a post. Weld angle iron horizontally onto rebar with inside angle up.

Weld angle iron vertically on each end of horizontal piece you just attached to the rebar. Vertical pieces need to have their inside angles facing inwards. Should be just big enough to slip a clay into top. Will not fall out.

I think I got it, but the profile of the 2" angle will catch a lot of the shot pattern which isn't a big deal if the target is not moving at the time. Mine will be moving and having a lot of shot on the holder will slow down the target.

Thanks for the help.

Dang It

I think I got it, but the profile of the 2" angle will catch a lot of the shot pattern which isn't a big deal if the target is not moving at the time. Mine will be moving and having a lot of shot on the holder will slow down the target.

Thanks for the help.

Dang It

Gotcha. Like to see this!

How about a hole cut in a plate with 3 tabs or "fingers" welded on the front and a swiveling plate or bar behind so that replacing the target is as simple as rotating the rear plate/bar out of the way and inserting a new pigeon?

I think that is closer to what I am looking for. Again, the only concern is the amount of profile of the plate and the amount of shot that will hit it. If it gets too much of the shot pattern, it will bend, break, or generally won't work for very long.

But that idea is already floating around in my little brain.

Thanks.

Silly me, but try this.

A vertical piece of rebar. Weld two horizontal pieces of rebar to form a cross a little wider than the clay.

Hold clay on target holder with a rubber band!

Or is that too simple?

Rubber bands are cheap. Use a new one with each new clay.

All good ideas. The rubber band thing would be ok for a monthly, but I worry about set up time for 300+ shooters. The one inch Vee might work, if it became a diamond instead. I could flip the top half of the diamond so the angle legs were opposite the bottom half which might do it.

Anyway, anyone else have an idea, it would be appreciated.

Dang It

Get a garden variety human operated clay pigeon thrower. Cut steel in the shape of the thrower to shield/cover the plastic from incoming shot.

If there's any possibility that the shot will be coming from much of an angle this isn't going to work.

The plastic thrower/holder would be expendable so you'd need several for a 300 shooter match ($7 ea.), and your target apparatus (arm?) would need to be designed so it could be swapped out fairly quick... perhaps between posses.

Guest Chance Ramsay, SASS#18962

Dan,

Look at getting a Spanish finger, the type you pull electrical cable with. They go up to 3 inches and span to 6 inches and they are made of stainless steel. It would hold the clay no matter how it moved. And you could attach the other end to what ever you wanted because it is also stainless and you could weld it.

Chance

Years ago, I made several using hardware cloth or rabbit wire. All I did was fold the wire into baskets that resembled oversize pocket protectors used to hold pencils and pens in your front shirt pocket. No welding needed. Our target stands were "T" tops and I just cut a slot in the fold to fit over them. You would be surprised how long those held up.

All good ideas. The rubber band thing would be ok for a monthly, but I worry about set up time for 300+ shooters. The one inch Vee might work, if it became a diamond instead. I could flip the top half of the diamond so the angle legs were opposite the bottom half which might do it.

Anyway, anyone else have an idea, it would be appreciated.

Dang It

So you get rid of the Wowie-Zowie and replace it with some new moving clay target thingy for The Last Stand! Can't wait to shoot it Dan.

So you get rid of the Wowie-Zowie and replace it with some new moving clay target thingy for The Last Stand! Can't wait to shoot it Dan.

Now Zack,

The WZ is now permanently at Fort White, and I never said that I was building the "Circle of Death", uh, I mean, some clay target thing for TLS. Never said that, nope, didn't do it.

I was just kinda foolin' around in the welding shop and got a wild idea for a new target, for my own personal use.

I also have some real estate that you may be interested in........

Dan,

Look at getting a Spanish finger, the type you pull electrical cable with. They go up to 3 inches and span to 6 inches and they are made of stainless steel. It would hold the clay no matter how it moved. And you could attach the other end to what ever you wanted because it is also stainless and you could weld it.

Chance

Had not thought of that but it would work. The folks who make the Medusa have kindly sent me their design which I am going to try out over the weekend. This thing may never work, or it may only be suitable for a monthly match here or there. We will have to wait and see how it comes out.

Dan,

We have been using two different types for over 13 years. They seem to last forever.

One is a rebar oval, just a little smaller that the bird so it will not fall through. It is welded to a rebar upright that is driven into the ground.

The other is a piece of flat 1/4: steel plate with a slot cut in it just a little smaller than the bird. It has a hole in the back where we fed a piece of rebar and welded it. The rebar is then driven into the ground.

Both work very well, portable and easy to store.

Roo

Can't remember where but they were on stands ....someone took small steel channel iron heated it or had access to a roll and may have heated and bent around a steel tube the diameter of just inside the flat on the outside rim of a bird

so the bird just slid down in the channel and held em great sometimes the bird would stick in the channel so be good idea to have screwdriver or such to pry old birds outwent 1/2 way round the bird .......they never fell out that channel could take a ton of hit from shot and not bend

Archived