SASS Wire Forum

Monthly Match Stages

I wanted to know how many stages does your club shoot at your monthly matches? We usually shoot six stages, but if there are more folks than usual it's 8 stages. Don't want too many folks on a posse don't ya know... Years ago it was 8 stages no matter what, but over time it changed. Our biggest reasons are heat related. B)

Thanx

-cb-

One club is 4, only have two bays and shoot 2 stages per bay. Other club is 5 or 6 depending on heat, cold, or other factors. Neither breaks for lunch or has lunch at the range.

We shoot 6 normally although I have shot at some So Cal clubs where they routinely shoot 8. I remember the first time I shot with The Deadwood Drifters. We shot 8 stages starting at 9 and I was walking to my truck at 1:15.

Fillmore

In Alabama, we typically shoot five, but sometimes only four if the weather is extreme. Personally, I play because I like to shoot, so if the weather is not extreme enough to keep me from coming, I want to shoot as much as possible.

For me burning gunpowder = Cowboy Cocaine. I'm addicted.

6, a local club tried 7 & 8, too much for our young seasoned citizens to do in 1 day, especially in 100+ degree heat. It is 6 at the 4 local clubs.

TB

In Alabama, we typically shoot five, but sometimes only four if the weather is extreme. Personally, I play because I like to shoot, so if the weather is not extreme enough to keep me from coming, I want to shoot as much as possible.

For me burning gunpowder = Cowboy Cocaine. I'm addicted.

I am addict too......hence the name......lol

At Cutter's Raiders in NE Ind we usually shoot 5 stages. We also do 4 to 5 side matches before each shoot and long range after.

KK

Most clubs here in New England do 6 stage shoots. Three before, and 3 after lunch.

One smaller club does a 4 stage shoot.

A few places occasionally do an 8 stage shoot, but are always carefully advertized as such in advance.

Here we put off lunch until after the match. This allows socializing while results are compiled. My experience is nothing but negative when breaking to eat and then start shooting again. Plus it extends the day too late for those that want to get more done that day or to rest up for work the next.

Fillmore

9 stages, 6 of which are full 4-gun stages and 3 shorter 1-2 gun stages. Start at 9:00, typically done by 1:00 and doign Wild Bunch afterward.

I wanted to know how many stages does your club shoot at your monthly matches? We usually shoot six stages, but if there are more folks than usual it's 8 stages. Don't want too many folks on a posse don't ya know... Years ago it was 8 stages no matter what, but over time it changed. Our biggest reasons are heat related. B)

Thanx

-cb-

We all used to love shooting 8 stages a day, but 10 years have transpired since then and we are now happy to shoot no more than 6. Even if the monthly is set up for 8 for whatever reason we still only shoot 6 stages and go home with energy left to survive the day.

Number of stages (that is ideal) depends on a bunch of factors

Range - how many stages or berms

Weather - extreme hot, cold, or humidity

Posse size - if you've got really big posse's, 6 stages can make for a LONG day.

Match format - fast or slow stages, break for lunch or not, etc.

We shoot 6 at our monthly matches....when we can shoot a match.This year and last year sucked due to weather.How about 10 inches of that wet white crud June of last year.This year it's been rain.Record amounts.When we do have a shoot it's twice a month.1st sunday and 4th saturday.6 each with a catered lunch at the 1st sunday shoot.

I want to thank everyone that gave their input on this question. Seems I'll take 6 as the answer. B)

Happy trails...

-cb-

I've quit matches when 8 stages were scheduled and it was almost 2 o'clock shooting 4 that day. Don't get me wrong, I love to shoot, but when you shoot for 3 minutes out of the match, I can't see taking up the entire day. I also enjoy seeing cowboy pards, but again I want to be done by 1:30 or so at the latest. One of our most fun matches this year finished early.....by 10:45 we left and we shot 6! Summer is not the friendliest place to be when it is 100+.

Archived