SASS Wire Forum

Am I The Only Pre-match Klutz

Why? Oh, why? Can I go three weeks swinging axes, running chainsaws, sharpening bush-hog blades and pocket knives, carving designs in antlers, cutting chain with bolt cutters or hammer and chisel, moving logs, punching holes in leather and sewing same, manipulating tools of all kinds, grinding and filing old parts into new parts, leaping out of the truck bed, wrestling with the dog, tossing the grandkids into the air, but...

Three days before a match I manage to slice open my trigger finger on the scotch tape dispenser, or throw out my shoulder trying to wash behind my ears?

Am I the only one?

Nope, one time last year I was doin some work in the yard on the sprinkler system and such and wore some blisters in my hands to where I wasn't sure I'd be able to hold my guns.

Clean it up, superglue it back together and go shoot!

Grizz

Nope. You ain't alone.

Morning of the first match I've been able to attend in the past 2 years. Was pre-loading my C&B 51's and mangage to poke a hole in the middle of the palm of muh shooting hand with the end of the loading lever.

Prior to all this I've been doing yard work of all varying degrees, fixing things about the house, using all kinds of hand and power tools with no incident or mishap.

BTW, it really smarted when a fragment of a hot spent #10 cap fell down in there (on occasion <_< ) between the grip and hand. And that wound was like a magnet for them.

I also play adult rec-league hockey. Keeps the blood pumping.

Last week, right before the match, I took a puck that someone shot from the point right off my right thumb. More than a week later, I am still in a bit of pain.

Anyway, I shoot dualist. Pain was so good at the match, I decided to just work on shooting a bit with my weak hand. helped ease it off a bit.

Crazy Emmitt SASS# 12932 asks Am I the only one?

I poured all the water out of the tea pot and the lid fell off and steam burned my right hand fingers on the nail side. Later that day the leather lever wrap on my rifle rubbed off all the red burnt skin. It was still a good day shooting!

Fordyce

Dagnabbit, I think you jinxed me, been cleaning my shop today and wrenched my back moving some stuff around. Might have to get in to see the bone cracker if it don't feel better by tomorrow, cuz I'm shooting Saturday one way or another.

About a week before our State match a year ago..

Was doing some dado cutting on the table saw down in the basement...

Dado blade came thru the top of my material :blink: and just took about a 1/2 inch wide and about 2 inches long piece of skin and meat off my little finger..

Wife was upstairs... Geez :wacko: am I in trouble now...

After getting the red stuff under somewhat control... I went upstairs got some salve,gauze and tape... Finally had to ask my wife to put the tape on it...

She asked "What did you do?" well it wasn't quite that nice.. but I told her anyhow :blush: she said "Don't ya think ya oughta go get some stitches in that"...

I showed it to her and said "Can't stitch up that much"

I kept it clean and bandaged.. was only the little finger.. told myself don't use it in shootin' that much anyway :blush: .

Went to the State match and didn't notice it much... shot my normal match..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' that's my story :rolleyes:

I don't recall any physical injuries before a big match but I sure have a battle with the mental part.

Normally before a big match, my practice seems to go 'backwards', almost like I'm a new and inexperienced shooter. That can play havoc on your mental preparation for a big match.

Anyhow, because I ain't one to believe in jinx's and such, I still try to practice all I can before a big match.

I have come to realize that there is some validity in that old saying: 'the more I practice, the luckier I get'.

..........Widder

I few months ago, I threw my back out putting my boots on the morning of the shoot. The car was already packed up, so my wife shot while I took a bunch of pain meds and kept score. I really wanted to shoot, but I couldn't even stand up straight; not a fun time...

Working on a custmers Colt, to deliver it at the match (4 day major match) you know last minuite got to have it fixed ...Screw broke causing screwdiver to imbed in left thumb web,(didn't mark gun good thing)the commotion causing my lovely wife to over-fill my coffee cup with a healthy slop of fresh coffee on my right hand ...

Bleeding from my left hand and with my right now a bright red ...... I was faced with making a new screw (from a blank) getting the broken one out fixing the gun and packing the truck for my 11 hour drive to the shoot .....

And stopping the bleeding ......

I was planning on leaving for the shoot about two hours after the screwdriver slipped ,,,,,,, got off two hours late with two sore mitts .....

Glad ta see I have company in getting hurt ,,,,,,,,, before a Match ....

Or the time I broke my toe right before a shoot ....

Jabez Cowboy

A few years ago I had the cough and headed out for Winter Range. I got there late the night before everything starts and by the time I made it to the camper after plugging it in I was soaking wet and it was around 40 or so at the time. Next morning I woke up with phuenmoniay and had to head home afraid that I would be put in the hospital for bed rest for a week, has happened a few time before. It seems half of the matches I start out for something stops me before I get started.

At our smaller anual match, Friday evening, I decided to clean the one last pistol that needed cleaning from the last match I shot at. It needed to be completely stripped down. Now, it has been modified, it has a tiny spring and pin (on both ends) and this spring pushed the hand against the cylinder.

Well, I got everything stripped, inspected, cleaned lubed and mostly put back together. The last thing I needed to do was put the grip frame back on. To do that you need to insert this spring with pins, manipulate the handle to push the spring in, hold it all togethe rwhile attempting to install the screws.

I have done this MANY times, with complete success. Well, Friday evening, it all went to hell. I wiggled just enough to launch the spring and one pin into the dry grass. I couldn't even tell in which direction it flew. No problem I thought. Jim Bowie of Cowboys and Indians is here with his trailer. I'll just mosey on over in the morning, get one and be back in business.

Saturday morning; I go about my morning business, gettin some coffee, eating breakfast, loading up the guncart. I head on down to Jims trailer, he isn't up yet. No worries. I get back to camp do some more stuff. Long story short, when Jim opens up, I get a new spring and pin, plus a Colt original type hand spring, just in case. Now, it's getting close to tee off time, I get back to camp, get the tools out, get the pistol on the table, put the spring in the hole, push the grip handle to where it needs to be, wiggle a little, and "BOING" the new spring goes flying. Let's just say the nice retired ladies in the camp next to me got up, and went inside thier trailer. I guess I was a little loud with my comments. :blink:

No problem. I remove all the other parts, pull out the hammer and the hand, install the leaf type spring, re-assamble the pistol, and got to the shooting line in time to hear the stage instructions.

P.S. The pistol worked fine all weekend. :)

As a Smith I have two phrases I use when that happens,,,,, Oh dam !!!

And Oh No !!! ,,,,,, When the missus is with-in hearing ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived