SASS Wire Forum

Carbon build-up in cylinder...

Chief Rick

Shooting .38 Special in .357's, my wife's stainless Ruger's and my blued/CCH Colt's. I wipe them down good after most every match, but it seems I've neglected the cylinders.

What is the most effective method of cleaning the carbon ring out of the cylinders?

It is impossible to chamber a .357 round in any of the revolver's right now.

I got a Cylinder Hone and oil from Midway, works great!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#Flex%20Hone____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

Get the medium hone, doesn't take so long. It took all the carbon plus the machine marks out!

Or, If you pay the shipping both ways I can send it to you, use it and send back.

Clymer Delead reamer. Go careful. Find at Brownells.

Good luck, GJ

(Brownell's makes it hard to find in catalog. Can get it direct from Clymer, for sure.)

Howdy- have used a couple of those De-Leading reamers for more than a decade on SASS and non SASS guns ( have one for my .45 colts shooting Schofield brass, too. ) No damage to the guns. You do need a GOOD tap handle, though.

How about usine a 357 case, slightly belled, it will fit tight in the cylinder and scrape all the buildup out. Let it soak in a solvent first for easy removal.

I use the chambers brushes available from Brownells.. available in brass or stainless...

You can buy them one at a time or a 10 pack... and ya might as well get the 10 pack..

I first ordered the brass... used them.. then ordered the stainless.. used them..

Stainless seemed to last a whole lot longer...

Good Luck

Rance <_<

see if you can find a product called "Free All" it's made for loosening stubborn nuts and bolts but it works well on carbon and lead buildup. You spray it on and let it sit for about 30 minutes, then use a tight fitting bore brush, You may have to do it a couple of time if you have heavy build up.Hope this helps.

I pour some Hoppe's into a shallow plastic bowl then let the cylinders soak in that for a few hours.Then I use a 40 caliber bore brush and run that through.Works good about 99% of the time.If I still have a stubborn buildup,then I knock it out with a spent 357 case and run the brush through again after that.

Lewis lead remover- available through Brownell's . These perform two-fold duty with exceptional lead removal from chambers and bore-length without damage to the gun what so-ever.

A bit expensive on your initial purchase, but then it's all pretty cheap for renew-ables.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21587/product/lewis_lead_remover

alot of goooood info posted above.

Here is a couple things I've tried with good success.

Use a brass brush (either .38 or .40 caliber) and wrap some 0000 steel wool around it.

Spray your chambers with either Kroil or you can even use Olive Oil right from the kitchen.

Put that brass brush in your electric drill. This process not only will help clean out those cruddy chambers but will also help polish them.

IF your crud is REAL stubborn, you can dip those bore brushes in some dupont polishing compound and it will also get that junk out of there. If you use the creamy polishing compound, it will get all over the cylinder but thats o.k. It will all wash off in the kitchen sink. Then dry and oil, etc..... and your ready to go.

NOW, for the simplist way to get em clean, Shoot a couple BP rounds in each chamber, and like majic, that carbon crud is total gone. Then just clean the BP out with soap and water, dry and oil, etc.....and those chambers will look good as new.

..........Widder

Run about 20 or 30 BP rounds through 'em. That super hot blast will burn the carbon ring right out of 'em. Honest, I do it all the time as I succumb to using the new fad powders on occasion. :blush::D

An added bonus is that the black discoloration on the front of the SS cylinders will be removed leaving them as spotless as the day they were made.

get a .40 cal brush put it on a drill dip it in hoppes and scrub away. it will remove the lead with out damaging the cyls or wearing out your elbow grease.

good luck.

CC

eGGzactly!

That is so easy to fix.

Get a .35 cal.rifle brush or .40 cal. brush Chuck in drill press or hand held drill 30 seconds and u r thru with cleaning of the cylinders

Plus cleaning the outside.

Been doing this for years no harm to cylinders.

See Ya at the range

CCBA]

Thanks for all of the replies!

I ended up using some Hoppes #9 Powder Solvent with a .40 & .45 bore brush chucked in a cordless drill.

Swabbed the chambers several times over the course of an hour and a half and then took the brush to it for a handful of seconds.

Once fired .357 brass slides right in and falls out.

Will pay more attention to this after future matches.

Stainless brushes chucked up in a drill. Use a cleaner on brush to lube as you clean and do not scratch things. Doesnt take much only a few seconds per hole. The better alternative is an ultrasonic cleaner but you still have to swab out the loose carbon from cylinder.

A Lewis Lead Revomal Tool will work very well.

Listen to Virgil Ray ..... :blush:

I also use an OUTERS Lead Remover electronic device to remove lead from barrels, chambers and cylinders... IT WORKS. Cost about $100.....

Check out this video..... you may be surprised. :P

OUTERS FOUL OUT

http://www.gunaccessories.com/outers/FoulOut.asp

I had always thought that one never used an abrasive that was equal to or harder than the base metal being cleaned?? That foul out looks interesting but I did notice the marketing strategy for the o-rings, sell them in five packs to force purchasing two for the common six shot cylinders. Will those cleaner solutions take off the blue on contact?

I had always thought that one never used an abrasive that was equal to or harder than the base metal being cleaned?? That foul out looks interesting but I did notice the marketing strategy for the o-rings, sell them in five packs to force purchasing two for the common six shot cylinders. Will those cleaner solutions take off the blue on contact?

When we ran a gun store, particulairly old .22's.... this device will clean all of the lead out of a bore. I have used one for near a decade. Never had a problem with bluing from OUTERS... BUT... I follow the directions carefully ;) . I have heard of problems with leaving chemicals over night in a bore. After using mechanical means, it is TRULY amazing what it removes after scrubbing. I use an ULTRASONIC cleaner as well. The OUTERS is used once a year.... the ULTRASONIC about every 6 months. ;)

Archived