SASS Wire Forum

Miz Demeaner,... my marlin and her story... lol

Deja Vous

I did stop on the way home tonight and shot her. She worked just fine. I tried to call JJJ"s for instruction, but he was at work, so I hoped I remembered exactly what he told me to od. I thing JJJ's had told me to shoot one first and check which I did, then I did two, then three and then 10... She worked just fine! I do not know what went wrong, but everyone had a hand at jacking shells out of her and wondering what was up at Ambush at Mill Creek.. I am glad she is fine!!! Must have just been a tantrum?

Possibly what they call the "Marlin Jam"? Both my Marlins will jam when shells of shorter length are fed into them. My Marlins for example are 44 mag, but the book says they'll also take shorter 44 specials... they won't. Sometimes my reloads used to vary a little in length if I switched bullets... it was a bad combination.

Cassidy

I did stop on the way home tonight and shot her. She worked just fine. I tried to call JJJ"s for instruction, but he was at work, so I hoped I remembered exactly what he told me to od. I thing JJJ's had told me to shoot one first and check which I did, then I did two, then three and then 10... She worked just fine! I do not know what went wrong, but everyone had a hand at jacking shells out of her and wondering what was up at Ambush at Mill Creek.. I am glad she is fine!!! Must have just been a tantrum?

Sounds like the problem is NOT the rifle . . eh! Reloads need to be watched more carefully methinks . . .

SC

Yup, watch the reloads, only other thing would be if a canulured (sp) case had split leaving a ring of brass in there to trap the lead from the next round, but that would have been obvious so I guess it wasn't that. But, it came to mind so it had to come out my fingers too I guess.

Possibly what they call the "Marlin Jam"? Both my Marlins will jam when shells of shorter length are fed into them. My Marlins for example are 44 mag, but the book says they'll also take shorter 44 specials... they won't. Sometimes my reloads used to vary a little in length if I switched bullets... it was a bad combination.

Cassidy

The bullets are pretty long.. but i do appreciate all the posts.. you never know what will help that is for sure. I guess each gun is a bit different.

Sounds like the problem is NOT the rifle . . eh! Reloads need to be watched more carefully methinks . . .

SC

You probably hit the primer on the head.. lol... Some of the ammo was loaded on a new Dillion instead of the RCBS. I think maybe it didn't crimp it right. Not the fautl of the Dillion .. you Dillon fans cuz I like them too.. but probably something I did wrong.

Yup, watch the reloads, only other thing would be if a canulured (sp) case had split leaving a ring of brass in there to trap the lead from the next round, but that would have been obvious so I guess it wasn't that. But, it came to mind so it had to come out my fingers too I guess.

Well, somehow a lead, not fired ended up in the cone entrance of the Marlin... without a casing.. lol... I think the lead was just stuck in there for the three times I tired to load it. Now the fact that it happened once and then I loaded again and it worked is a mystery.. but I guess if it pulled the lead out once, it might do it twice.. Puts a whole new meaning to "get the lead out", huh? lol.. The problem is we had two marlins using the same ammo... and mine messed up.. sort of points the grimy, Black powedered finger at t he "chick" .. huh? lol.. JJJ's said I am not tough enough with Miz Demeaner.. so who knows.. maybe I am the problem...

DV

A couple of things I have learned about Marlins in 357

Do Not use R-P brass

OAL of ammo needs to be 1.500 or longer

someone is going to disagree with this , but it has proven itself to me to be right .

Every gun has it likes and dislikes , just like people .

CB

They are certainly over 1.500... in fact we had to shorten the spring to load 10... lol... I think it is me.. she is jealous of me .. she likes JJJ's gun or something.. lol

They are certainly over 1.500... in fact we had to shorten the spring to load 10... lol... I think it is me.. she is jealous of me .. she likes JJJ's gun or something.. lol

Nah - she just wants ya to treat her like an equal . . . . so give her the same as you'd give yourself,

with all the same care and concern.

I use RCBS - have for over 35 years now - and while I know folks like Dillon, and I have no negatives to say

about Dillon, I just know that my RCBS stuff is as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar, and as reliable as a stone hammer.

C.O.L. and crimping will kill ya - have no doubts about it.

Good luck with yer rifle gal there - someday if'n we get to meet F2F, I'll hand ya one of my '92s that Nate breathed upon - you

might find religion there . . . . or learn eleventy four new swear words . . . .

SC

Nah - she just wants ya to treat her like an equal . . . . so give her the same as you'd give yourself,

with all the same care and concern.

I use RCBS - have for over 35 years now - and while I know folks like Dillon, and I have no negatives to say

about Dillon, I just know that my RCBS stuff is as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar, and as reliable as a stone hammer.

C.O.L. and crimping will kill ya - have no doubts about it.

Good luck with yer rifle gal there - someday if'n we get to meet F2F, I'll hand ya one of my '92s that Nate breathed upon - you

might find religion there . . . . or learn eleventy four new swear words . . . .

SC

Shadows yhou are trying to make me jealous, and to cheat on Miz Demeaner.. lol... Just teasing ya... Someday we will meet I am sure.. and shoot together and laugh about our silly posts... and I hope your wife joins us.. cuz I bet she is a sweet heart of a gal... Thanks SC...

Shadows yhou are trying to make me jealous, and to cheat on Miz Demeaner.. lol... Just teasing ya... Someday we will meet I am sure.. and shoot together and laugh about our silly posts... and I hope your wife joins us.. cuz I bet she is a sweet heart of a gal... Thanks SC...

Aye - She's a sweetheart - I hope you two get to meet.

I think your lil' Marlin will love having another gal in the group - most of the time they all seem to get along very well . . .

as long as they get to go home with the one that brung 'em!

BTW - these posts are not silly - they're very profound and important in the grand scheme of things!

SC

Aye - She's a sweetheart - I hope you two get to meet.

I think your lil' Marlin will love having another gal in the group - most of the time they all seem to get along very well . . .

as long as they get to go home with the one that brung 'em!

BTW - these posts are not silly - they're very profound and important in the grand scheme of things!

SC

I always go home with the one that brought me, well unless he goes off on the whole room like a 45... lol... I know we would be friends, no doubt in my mind.. She does like meatloaf right.. lol...

O.K. Gents, here is my take on this issue....

FIRST, It's not the ammo. I use the same ammo in my Marlin and it works just fine. Also Mizdemeanor ate the SAME ammo today as a test just fine. The ammo used that resulted in the bullet left in the forcing cone was THE LAST ROUND CHAMBERED. Since the rifle did not fire numerous rounds, it was not a squib. The bullet showed a light crimp, so the crimp will be increased in the future, but IF the firing pin had struck the primer it would have gone off and the round would have gone down the barrel. Since I don't have ALL the expended brass I can only guess the last round would have had a good unspent primer and the powder was dispersed when the round was ejected.

SECOND, the failure to fire occurred several times AFTER the rifle had been cleared and new ammo loaded. I am figuring the safety must have moved slightly to prevent firing. It was reset and the hex nut re-tightened as part of the review/ cleaning process.

THIRD, the rounds are loaded at 1.52 and as I said my Marlin fires them just fine as has Mizdemeanor the last 4-5 matches. Also, it is NOT the famed Marlin jam as the rounds cycle just fine and chamber properly.

We will check the one piece firing pin to be sure it has not broken which could cause the intermittent non fires.

We may never know the true reason for the failure, just work to prevent it from occurring again...

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

O.K. Gents, here is my take on this issue....

FIRST, It's not the ammo. I use the same ammo in my Marlin and it works just fine. Also Mizdemeanor ate the SAME ammo today as a test just fine. The ammo used that resulted in the bullet left in the forcing cone was THE LAST ROUND CHAMBERED. Since the rifle did not fire numerous rounds, it was not a squib. The bullet showed a light crimp, so the crimp will be increased in the future, but IF the firing pin had struck the primer it would have gone off and the round would have gone down the barrel. Since I don't have ALL the expended brass I can only guess the last round would have had a good unspent primer and the powder was dispersed when the round was ejected.

SECOND, the failure to fire occurred several times AFTER the rifle had been cleared and new ammo loaded. I am figuring the safety must have moved slightly to prevent firing. It was reset and the hex nut re-tightened as part of the review/ cleaning process.

THIRD, the rounds are loaded at 1.52 and as I said my Marlin fires them just fine as has Mizdemeanor the last 4-5 matches. Also, it is NOT the famed Marlin jam as the rounds cycle just fine and chamber properly.

We will check the one piece firing pin to be sure it has not broken which could cause the intermittent non fires.

We may never know the true reason for the failure, just work to prevent it from occurring again...

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

JJJ, . . . good of you to post a realistic evaluation of the possible causes of the malfunction.

JJJ & DV, sounds like the coil hammer spring may have taken a "set".BTDT!

IF your using one of Jim's firing pins, I have NEVER seen one break......EVER :excl:

Go to a GOOD hardware store/bolt house and buy a couple of #8 washers(A #6 will work but you will have to open the ID with a "rat-tail" file a bit)and put one under the back of the hammer spring where the retaining plate goes that holds the spring in place.

Also flush out the bolt and firing pin area with carb. cleaner and blow it dry and lube lightly.

Cheers,

LG

Thanks JJJ's for explaining it all so well. And you're right we may never know exactly why she did not fire. It could have been she was just so dirty from Saturday, who knows? But I am happy she is back to functioning again like a good little Miz Demeaner.... Thanks Lumps, I will defer to JJJ's about your response. I don't know what else to do at this point but wait and see if she does it again. One thing is for certain, next time I will clean my Marlin instead of my Rugers for a two day BP shoot. lol

Clean them ALL :P:lol:

LG

YES . . and clean them after the first day of shoot to be ready for the second day. And clean them after the second day also !

ps. Would you like to borrow my Weasil ? The fresh stuff works best. :)

No thanks Wolffes I think we had this discussion once.. lol... I am good here.. lol.. I was so proud of her... but I might shop for a back up rifle just in case.. lol

I am thinking something in GUN METAL would look good on me?? lol

When I started cowboy shooting, even shooting smokeless I cleaned all my guns after each match, and after each day of a multi day match. Now they get cleaned every few months or when they start acting up, which ever comes first.

When I started cowboy shooting, even shooting smokeless I cleaned all my guns after each match, and after each day of a multi day match. Now they get cleaned every few months or when they start acting up, which ever comes first.

I have always cleaned after every match.. but this time I was only able to get some of it done.. got in the way of my fun.. lol.. So I picked my Ruger.. dumb choice.. they would have been fine. But, it is okay.. I learned something from it... go ahead and have fun, and whine on the board about it later.. lol

I see you got 8th in your category, good job Deja!

There were only 3 in my category.. lol... Okay fine.. At the shoot I found out that others are concerned about how our possee does.. and I woke up. It has been a long time now of me hiding my head in the sand on my time off. With the move, my job, and lifes surprises I needed the time to "adjust".... I am now ready to focus on my shooting and working on other things in my life. So, I will remain me, cuz I know no other way.. the one thing I gave up so I could release some pressure was my abiltiy to focus.. I am going to do that now. I can not promise I will be the best, but I will at least aim, try, and and listen. I am not stupid.. I just like being silly me. I can do that at work, but I do focus a lot there, and I can not talk about my job because I am not allowed to. So, my release was shooting and not paying attention.. This year I will try harder, laugh harder, aim better, and learn to dance.. ah.. not sure about the last one.. it could be my newest release that i don't have to focus on.. lol..

This Saturday will be my first match after getting my new shotgun slicked up, I am really looking forward to seeing how that works for me. If I can get loading it working well it should cut a few seconds off each stage for me between not having to cock hammers like I do on my other shotgun and not fumbling with loading.

This Saturday will be my first match after getting my new shotgun slicked up, I am really looking forward to seeing how that works for me. If I can get loading it working well it should cut a few seconds off each stage for me between not having to cock hammers like I do on my other shotgun and not fumbling with loading.

Hmm you might have to change your name to "hot rod" Grizzes..

Archived