SASS Wire Forum

Dark Matter and Dark Energy

Aunt Jen

You guys always know so much. I've, over time, come on here and asked you all everything from obscure tid-bits about gunsmithing to history, and you guys always seem to know the answers.

Probably, if I asked "What is Dark Matter and Dark Energy," you'd know about that, too.

Aunt Jen

You guys always know so much. I've, over time, come on here and asked you all everything from obscure tid-bits about gunsmithing to history, and you guys always seem to know the answers.

Probably, if I asked "What is Dark Matter and Dark Energy," you'd know about that, too.

Aunt Jen

Dark energy is when ya shoot black powder loads, dark matter is the crud inside yer barrel after you shoot !!!:ph34r:

If yer serious Stephen Hawking tries to explain it to us stupid folks in his latest book, can't remember the name of it.^_^ Rye

Maybe my egghead brother could give you an answer....he's got a double PhD from Johns Hopkins...

He's written all about "Blue Light Emissions from Black Holes"...obviously he got all the brains in the family. I came along third!! :lol:

Miss Cubbie

Let's say you all had a theory. Let's say you really, really liked the theory. Lets say the theory only worked if there was a butt load of stuff that you could not see. That stuff would be dark matter and dark energy.

Cheers,

BJT

RELATIONSHIP TO SASS? READ ON:

I've been reading books about it, but it's hard, because there aren't many pictures.

But it seems the physical matter we're familiar with (including stars, furniture, guns, planets, cosmic dust...) is about 4% of the universe; other physical matter of some other kinds are another 23% or so; and the remaining 71% or so is, they're guessing, an energy that may have been guessed at by Einstein as his Lambda "Cosmological Constant" fudge factor, or some energy that actually repels matter (opposite of gravity, maybe), that is pushing stars/galaxies farther apart at an accelerated rate.

The universe is expanding, and the more it expands, the faster it expands.

So what does that mean to SASS?

It means, clearly, that the Stealth Bullet Phenomenon may not be as accurate as we've been guessing. It may be that sometimes—I repeat only sometimes—when we hear a bang with no clang there may not have actually been a clang, because if everything is expanding away from everything else (due to dark energy), then in some cases the No-Clang may be because the target, frankly, moved.

I think I may have actually witnessed that, myself, several times during my last match.

Aunt Jen

That Stephen Hawking guy ain't all that smart.

He does not believe in a Supreme Being.

I ain't all that smart meowndangself.

But I don't believe there is any such thing as dark matter or energy nor do I believe in that Big Bang business.

Duct Tape is the Force that holds the Universe together. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side. If the Universe is held together with the Light Side it follows that it must be driven apart by something from the Dark Side. Duct Tape is made of matter. Therefore the Dark Side is Dark Matter. Clearly Dark Energy must emanate from said Dark Matter. To see the Dark Energy we must wear Dark Glasses. If we put on Dark Glasses and don’t see Dark Energy we can only conclude that the glasses are not dark enough. Once we make the Dark Glasses totally opaque we will see the Dark Energy clearly. We can then provide these Dark Glasses to the President and his Cabinet and they will be able to see this Dark Energy. They can then seek appropriations of several Trillion Dollars to “invest” in the development of Dark Energy as a substitute for fossil fuels and thus end Global Warming forever.

I think I’ll put myself up for the Nobel Prize in Physics for this insight (eat your heart out Stephen Hawking)!!!

Or maybe it should be in Fictional Literature.

Who cares about the category as long as the check doesn’t bounce?

SQQ

Duct Tape is the Force that holds the Universe together. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side. If the Universe is held together with the Light Side it follows that it must be driven apart by something from the Dark Side. Duct Tape is made of matter. Therefore the Dark Side is Dark Matter. Clearly Dark Energy must emanate from said Dark Matter. To see the Dark Energy we must wear Dark Glasses. If we put on Dark Glasses and don’t see Dark Energy we can only conclude that the glasses are not dark enough. Once we make the Dark Glasses totally opaque we will see the Dark Energy clearly. We can then provide these Dark Glasses to the President and his Cabinet and they will be able to see this Dark Energy. They can then seek appropriations of several Trillion Dollars to “invest” in the development of Dark Energy as a substitute for fossil fuels and thus end Global Warming forever.

I think I’ll put myself up for the Nobel Prize in Physics for this insight (eat your heart out Stephen Hawking)!!!

Or maybe it should be in Fictional Literature.

Who cares about the category as long as the check doesn’t bounce?

SQQ

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That Stephen Hawking guy ain't all that smart.

He does not believe in a Supreme Being.

I ain't all that smart meowndangself.

But I don't believe there is any such thing as dark matter or energy nor do I believe in that Big Bang business.

Well, I believe in the Big Bang, I seen it! Howdy Doody's Doodymite BP shotgun loads will make you a believer!

Here is a decent read:

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/

Another interesting topic is they have been able to trap and hold antimatter at CERN for 15 minutes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_switzerland_antimatter

Somehow this all lead me to neutrino oscillations and a bunch of other gobbledy gook the other night but the MINOS project absolutely fascinates me. How matter passes through matter is pretty cool.

My reading leads me to believe neutrino physics is essentially dark matter physics, but I am one of the uneducated masses. The math is to big for my brain.

We can then provide these Dark Glasses to the President and his Cabinet and they will be able to see this Dark Energy. They can then seek appropriations of several Trillion Dollars to “invest” in the development of Dark Energy as a substitute for fossil fuels and thus end Global Warming forever.

This has been discussed. I don't buy it though. Horse power needs mass. Poor power factors and poor efficiency is why so much of this alternative energy is nonsense. Sun? A joke. Wind? A joke. Hydro damms and geothermal, now that's a different story. Your getting into BTU's and a lot of horsepower (moving water) to produce energy for our consumption needs.

It'd be cool if there were "neutrino generators", but the simple fact is a certain amount of energy (mass in motion) has to be expended to convert it into a usable form of energy. Ya know I think we live in "Lord Of the Flies" world where a bunch of adolescent preteens have taken over trying to implement their ridiculous and impractical notions.

Ya know I think we live in "Lord Of the Flies" world where a bunch of adolescent preteens have taken over trying to implement their ridiculous and impractical notions.

That would explain a lot.

Dark Matter is the big steaming mug of 100% Columbian coffee and Dark Energy is the jolt ya get from the caffein from afor mention Dark Matter.

If we are stirring up the pot, let go big time...They say our Universe is about 20 billion lights years across...If so we still have a lot of open space...What to say there is not another universe say the left maybe 10 billion light years away, that is just a big and it also has its own top guy running it...Of course if there is two why not three or more all with there own top guy running them...That opens the question of who is top guy...Maybe our universe is enclose in a glass ball hanging around the neck of the local alley cat...Then again we could all be just ones and zeros running around in a big computer with endless amounts of Ram...If so maybe the big guy is ready to hit the delete button and start over with a better design...

Texas Lizard

More proof that we are just characters in a video game that "think" we are conscious, sentient beings.

Single malt scotch is a good antidote for that.

Archived