SASS Wire Forum

where to get a good cart umbrella?

Aunt Jen

My Beni Hana umbrella may not be period correct but is big enough to keep things dry and also provide a lot of sun shade. No one has yet complained about it but a lot of folks have been under it in the rain and used it for shade. I sprayed it with some Scotchguard treatment to water proof it. Heck it came from Costco so it can't be all bad. Before that I used a Wal-mart rainbow colored umbrella that keep breaking in the wind. Finally wind ruined it. Most of the wooden ones are either way too large or frail-like those from Harbor Freight.

Harbor Frieght ,They are wood frame & Green canvas.Also so cheap so buy 2 or 3 to have a spare or 2.

I bought 2 of them 4 yrs ago and one got broken in transport.The other is still a life saver.

Harbor Frieght ,They are wood frame & Green canvas.Also so cheap so buy 2 or 3 to have a spare or 2.

I bought 2 of them 4 yrs ago and one got broken in transport.The other is still a life saver.

Ah! I know where one of those is. Thanks

Aunt Jen

YARD SALES and Flea Markets....friends.... I look for GOLF UMBRELLAS. Where you see golf clubs, ask for umbrellas. Most are large and have bright colors. Many times they are given away to golfers for participating in a tournement with a sponsors name on it. I found a beautiful NIKE model for a BUCK last week. I drill a hole in the bottom of the handle and use a "swiffer" floor 'mop' handle for an extension. They screw together and are easy to store.... threaded for 1/4-20 threads. The pieces will fit inside the folded umbrella and pop it open, screw them together and you have a 6' umbrella. B)

YARD SALES and Flea Markets....friends.... I look for GOLF UMBRELLAS. Where you see golf clubs, ask for umbrellas. Most are large and have bright colors. Many times they are given away to golfers for participating in a tournement with a sponsors name on it. I found a beautiful NIKE model for a BUCK last week. I drill a hole in the bottom of the handle and use a "swiffer" floor 'mop' handle for an extension. They screw together and are easy to store.... threaded for 1/4-20 threads. The pieces will fit inside the folded umbrella and pop it open, screw them together and you have a 6' umbrella. B)

I'm sorry. I didnt follow the instrucriona well. Can you clarify?

Aunt Jen

I use a patio table umbrella, bout 6'. may not look PC but what the heay, I also carry a 12 x 14 ez up most wharevr I go.

Cheyenne

Howdy Aunt Jen, what ever you get make sure it has the wind vent, I can't count the number of times I've seen a gun cart flipped over by a gust. I got a beach umbrella with vent at CVS, Bag Boy is a popular brand and used by one of the gun cart dealers. Don't ferget the umbrella holder if you get a golf umbrella. Good Luck :)

Bag Boy

Umbrella Holder

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Hi Aunt Jen. Here's an inexpensive solution that does the job very nicely for me and fits in an empty gun slot in my gun cart:

http://www.littletikes.com/toys/market-umbrella-green.aspx

Been using one for four years, and I have yet to have a problem with wind. It's also 2/pc, and when broken down, stays right on the guncart. Not exactly period-correct, but sort of neutral. It works!!

JMHO,

Kid Latham

Yea, buy 3 or 3 or 4 'cause the come apart!!

Howdy

Don't worry about 'period correct'. It's an umbrella. Real cowboys did not use gun carts nor umbrellas. So buy what is inexpensive and works. I bought mine at the local big box drugstore. This is probably a very good time to buy one, seeing as summer is coming on.

Gonna have to agree w/ Jefro--seen a bunches of carts flipped over & gear damaged by wind gust on umberellas----gotta have something to prevent tip over----

out riggers

Well now - finally something I can rattle off some "expert advice" on. First of all consider the size of your cart - the umbrella should be big enough to at least sheild your long guns, and maybe yourself when you wheel the loaded cart around - BUT BEWARE - if your umbrella is too big, and the cart too small, and too light, in proportion to the umbrella size, a gust of wind will wreak havoc with your belongings on the cart (i.e., it'll tip over). also to minimize this danger I just slide the umbrella into a fixed piece of PVC pipe so that it's loose enough to elevate out in the wind - the shaft seems long enough so that the umbrella won't fly completely out of the tube and hit someone.

FWIW, Doc

Archived