SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Montado's Question

Jack Houston # 35508

One more time. ALL Vaqueros are New Model Rugers. There is not now, never has been, nor can there ever be ANY such thing as an Old Model Vaquero. The last Old Model Ruger came off the line in the early 1970's. The FIRST Vaquero was made in the mid 1990s. Twenty plus years too late to be any kind of Old Model Ruger.

So there are Vaqueros and there are New Vaqueros. All Vaqueros are new models. As Larsen says, RVs (as we all used to refer to them before that wrong abbreviation of OMV reared it's goober head and became widespread) and NVs are both large frame.

Oh, and it's etc not ect...

One more time. ALL Vaqueros are New Model Rugers. There is not now, never has been, nor can there ever be ANY such thing as an Old Model Vaquero. The last Old Model Ruger came off the line in the early 1970's. The FIRST Vaquero was made in the mid 1990s. Twenty plus years too late to be any kind of Old Model Ruger.

So there are Vaqueros and there are New Vaqueros. All Vaqueros are new models. As Larsen says, RVs (as we all used to refer to them before that wrong abbreviation of OMV reared it's goober head and became widespread) and NVs are both large frame.

You can call them any thing you want but the rest of us shooters call the first Vaqueros old models as soon as the latest smaller Vaqueros were sold. The rest of us call the second generation Vaqueros new model Vaqueros unless they have the lowered bigger hammers then we can call em Montado Vaqueros or with the special mods SSAS Vaqueros. We have had this discussion before.

“But ‘glory’ doesn’t mean ‘a nice knock-down argument,’” Alice objected.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean – neither more nor less.”

“The question is,” said Alice, “ whether you can make words mean so many different things.”

“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master – that’s all.”

-- Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

And there you have the evolution of English in one easy lesson . . we decide what words mean . . so we must learn to evolve . . . . or perish . . . .

Shadow Catcher

If it's smaller than the Vaquero it's the small vaquero!

Nevermind, thanks for the answer I needed!

Jack, be nice or you'll have to bring your own beer when you come by to visit at EOT.

Shadowcatcher, you owe me a new keyboard.

I wasted some good scotch spewing all over it while laughing...

Well then - Monday night for dinner - and I'll supply the scotch too!

SC

The Montados are not the Built-Like-a-Tank Vaqueros, that you see referenced for hot .45 Colt loads such as Buffalo Bore or on the Hodgdon site where is says, "The data is intended for 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk, Freedom Arms, and Thompson Center Contender/Encore Handguns. Max pressure, 30,000 CUP. Do not use these data in any other make or model of firearm."

There, I introduced yet another meaningless name. :blush: It looks like they now completely omit mention of the Vaquero to avoid confusion, whereas Buffalo Bore uses wording such as, "1505 fps - Ruger pre 2006 large frame Vaquero 5 ½ inch barrel" for some of their loads.

ALL Vaqueros are New Model Rugers.

In the interest of pure anal retentiveness: While Vaqueros are Vaqueros and New Vaqueros are New Vaqueros, the only New Model (with caps) I'm aware of is the New Model Blackhawks...which are different than Blackhawks or 50th Anniversary Blackhawks although the latter two are more similar...at least in size. For anyone who knows different, please help me polish up. If I'm wrong, most likely my head will explode...NOT. :D

Now when it comes to my Vaqueros, when someone calls them old Vaqueros, it hurts their feelings and it's even worse when someone capitalizes "old." They prefer "original model" Vaqueros. I tell them that is what OMV stands for. It seems to appease them. :ph34r::lol:

Yes, I would pull your leg. ;)

In the interest of pure anal retentiveness: While Vaqueros are Vaqueros and New Vaqueros are New Vaqueros, the only New Model (with caps) I'm aware of is the New Model Blackhawks...which are different than Blackhawks or 50th Anniversary Blackhawks although the latter two are more similar...at least in size. For anyone who knows different, please help me polish up. If I'm wrong, most likely my head will explode...NOT. :D

Now when it comes to my Vaqueros, when someone calls them old Vaqueros, it hurts their feelings and it's even worse when someone capitalizes "old." They prefer "original model" Vaqueros. I tell them that is what OMV stands for. It seems to appease them. :ph34r::lol:

B)

OK, Buck here we go. There are Old Model Blackhawks, Old Model Super Blackhawks, Old Model Single Sixes and Old Model Bearcats. But there are NO Old Model Vaqueros. Old Model Rugers have screws (that's why Old Model Blackhawks are sometimes referred to as "3 screws")and no transfer bar. In 1973, after being sued and losing a big judgement Ruger switched to pins with a transfer bar in all single action revolvers and all subsequent guns are "New Models". This includes ALL Vaqueros, both original and New Vaqueros. The very first Vaquero made was over 20 years too late to be an Old Model Ruger.

Why do folks insist on saying Old Model Vaquero? Just say Vaquero. Don't say New Model Vaquero, just say New Vaquero. Much easier. RV, which has died out but used to be common here is easier than OMV. NV is one gamer keystroke easier and faster but folks persist in that OMV/NMV nonsense.

My head explodes.

Wow, I intended my retort to come after the leg-pullin' line. Don't know how it got inside the quote box. Never had that happen before.

Oh for...

OK. The term "New Model" always refers to the internal action parts. New Model actions from 1973 forward have an internal transfer bar safety. Old Model actions didn't. (Yes, Ruger did a crude retrofit on many but there's a lot out there without it.) The only Old Model action to survive past 1973 was the Old Army (percussion front-stuffer). The "New Model" versus "Old Model" distinction is NOT just a "Blackhawk thing", it's the whole Ruger SA product line involved.

Every time you use the phrase "Old Model Vaquero" those of us who know better cringe. As a safety thing, we are begging you: do not pollute the term "Old Model". You mark yourself as being both ignorant and unsafe and we take a much more dim view of the latter. For safety reasons we have to call you on this mistake, every - single - time.

"Old Vaquero" for the large-frame series is OK. "Large frame Vaquero" is better.

As to the NewVaq: it is a MID frame, not a "small frame". "Small frame" is the single six.

I won't even ask anybody to try and get apostrophes right. For the record: use "Montados" for multiple specimens, not "Montado's" which would be OK if we were talking about something a Montado owned (possessive apostrophy).

Archived