SASS Wire Forum

BH and Dusty

Just found out that John Alison of the original Flying Tigers has passed away at 98 :FlagAm:

John and Ajax Baumler were part of the first night intercept of bombers in China. Both got a couple and then both crash landed their P-40's. Baumler got to the field, Alison had to put down in the river by their base. The Chinese eventually salvaged his ship using oldfashioned methods( bamboo mats under the wings) :FlagAm::blush:

Rest in peace, Sir.

Story

Pic. Alison on the left. A giant of a man at 5'5".

Rest in peace, Sir.

Story

Pic. Alison on the left. A giant of a man at 5'5".

Not one to ever doubt Utah Bob...but I believe General Alison was actually 5'5¾". :)

He was also one of the two(along with Phil Cochran) men originally picked by Hap Arnold to co-command the 1st Air Commando Group, making him one of the fathers of Air Force Special Operations.

Anywhere, Anytime!

RIP, Sir.

Su amigo;

Jack

I was wondering how many of the Tigers are still alive? I know we lose 1 to 2 thousand WW2 vets daily. The Korean War vets are not far behind. A generation of the heroes will soon be all gone.

I was wondering how many of the Tigers are still alive? I know we lose 1 to 2 thousand WW2 vets daily. The Korean War vets are not far behind. A generation of the heroes will soon be all gone.

With the loss of Gen Alison, there are 10 surviving pilots of the 100 in the original AVG.

I'm not sure how many ground crewman.

This is a little off topic, but it concerns the lost of a B-17. The "Liberty Belle", a WW2 B-17 bomber crashed today, while attempting an emergency landing near Aurora, Illinois. The seven people onboard managed to get out safely, but the plane was a total loss. The plane was experiencing engine problems when it crashed a caught fire.

"Liberty Belle" was a privately owned aircraft. There were 7 people on board when she went down, so I figger that the owner was selling rides. Rides on these vintage aircraft go for about 400 to 500 dollars per person. The Liberty Corporation owned the plane, but the main owner was named Don, I don't recall his last name.

Archived