SASS Wire Forum

Delta Airlines

$200.00 for any bag over three for returning military personnel?

That demands an explanation and a look at their government contracts, subsidies, tax breaks, etc.

What it needs is a massive letter writing campaign and boycott.

How much you wanna bet that in a day or two we hear from Delta an 'explanation' of how something was mis-interpreted.

Delta used to be a very good airline. This sucks..I wonder if they realize these fighting men and women are the reason they can even have a business? :FlagAm:

Saw it on the news tonight. Delta is backing off charging Military for the 4th bag. They are offering to refund the soldier's money. Apparently they have a contract with the military where they get to check 3 bags free but the charge for the 4th bag. They were just going by the government contract. They have bowed to media and public pressure. At least somebody up the food chain at Delta is listening.

$200.00 for any bag over three for returning military personnel?

That demands an explanation and a look at their government contracts, subsidies, tax breaks, etc.

Military personal shud NOT check weapons when flyin Delta ----------------

This was DEFINITELY an oversight on Delta's part, but considering their past support of our military, I am glad to note that they corrected it! Delta, for the past 15 years has operated a "Holiday Room" at their "Crown Room" for VIPs at Atlanta/Hartsfield airport. This means that ALL service men and women are welcome into the lounge for food, refreshments, internet, etc. while they move through the airport. Regardless of the airlines that they were assigned to in transition! I have always flown them when the money wasn't crazy for that very reason, and have ALWAYS told them why I was booking with them.

I agree these guys got a rotten deal but it looks like the airline will make it right albeit with some public prodding.

But my question is: Is it SOP for soldiers to return to the states with their weapons? I just figured the weapons stayed in theater to be used by another soldier while they were gone. Either that, or the branch of service collected them all from returning troops and returned them to the states enmass on a cargo plane.

Northwest alirline was bought out by Delta airline. Then Gov. Pawlnety made the CEO's of both airlines sign a note that if Delta bought out Northwest, Delta would stay here and pay back the loan the state of MN gave them. Delta did not honor neither of them.

With that said, as a retired E-7 in the US Army, What Detla did does not surpise me at all.

IT SICKENED ME !!!!!

I agree these guys got a rotten deal but it looks like the airline will make it right albeit with some public prodding.

But my question is: Is it SOP for soldiers to return to the states with their weapons? I just figured the weapons stayed in theater to be used by another soldier while they were gone. Either that, or the branch of service collected them all from returning troops and returned them to the states enmass on a cargo plane.

Units deploy with all their TO&E equipment and bring it back. With the pared down military of toady there aren't enough aircraft to fly everybody so they contract it out.

Before they changed the policy first class military travelers were given 4 bags free and coach class 3 bags free. Now first class gets 5 bags free and coach gets 4. What they ought to do is upgrade military passengers to first class!!

Units deploy with all their TO&E equipment and bring it back. With the pared down military of toady there aren't enough aircraft to fly everybody so they contract it out.

Thanks Bob. I figured they contracted moving personel I just didn't realize these guys (and gals) were packing their arms through the airport. Do they have to go through the same TSA bs anyone else with firearms does?

When I flew back to the world, it was on a "Flying Tiger" contacted ailine.

All personnel on board flew 1st class.......

with free likker fer combat troops !!!! :lol:

ATLANTA, GA - Delta Air Lines has revised its policy for luggage allotments for military personal flying on orders.

The move comes in the wake of complaints and a YouTube video posting that the airline was charging military personnel on deployment fees for extra baggage.

Delta will now allow U.S. military traveling on orders in economy class to check-in four bags at no charge. Previously, the air carrier didn't charge for the first three bags.

Another change also allows U.S. military personnel traveling on orders in first and business class to check up to five bags at no charge. This change also adds dependents traveling with active military on orders. Individual bags can weigh up to 70 pounds.

When on personal travel, active duty military with military dentification can check in two bags weighing no more than 50 pounds at no charge.

Thanks Bob. I figured they contracted moving personel I just didn't realize these guys (and gals) were packing their arms through the airport. Do they have to go through the same TSA bs anyone else with firearms does?

Last year when my wife & I were returning from a trip to Belize, our arrival point was Dallas/Ft. Worth Int. When we were clearing Customs, a unit of NG troops was also there returning from Afganistan. They had their weapons too. They were waiting in line (of military only ) to clear customs just like everyone else. Took them just as long as the rest of us too. :angry:

When I flew back to the world, it was on a "Flying Tiger" contacted ailine.

All personnel on board flew 1st class.......

with free likker fer combat troops !!!! :lol:

Yup. Flew Flying Tiger over and back. Very quiet going over but a rather raucus flight coming home. :lol:

Flying Tiger was bought out by FedEx in 1988.

Flying Tiger was a freight hauler not a passenger line. We were technically not passengers, just cargo.. :lol:

Leaving Iraq we had our weapons. Flew a contract commercial flight that stopped several places where we could get off the plane for a little while. Weapons stayed on the plane and someone usually volunteered to stay in the plane and watch them (in shifts). Weapons only came off the plane when we got to the local airport/air force base, at our re-deployment site.

We go through customs before we get on the plane in Kuwait. We don't go through customs again. Weapons are turned into unit supply at the re-deployment site. We fly back home from there without them.

They were pretty strict on the only bringing three bags thing. The command enforcedd this before we left. I mailed a couple of foot lockers home prior to flying as I didn't want to carry that much. The airline types sited weight issues as the reason for the limit.

We had soldiers load all our own gear and after going through customs (in country) they were loaded onto trucks, watched overnight (if necessary) then we had a baggage detail that would load into the plane and unload when back to the re-deployment site.

Yup. Flew Flying Tiger over and back. Very quiet going over but a rather raucus flight coming home. :lol:

Flying Tiger was bought out by FedEx in 1988.

Flying Tiger was a freight hauler not a passenger line. We were technically not passengers, just cargo.. :lol:

FT took me over twice and back once.

They bolted seats to the deck and rolled a carpet down the aisle of 707s. Our "stewardess on one flight was a guy named Eric who looked like a stevedore and smoked camels. The food was excellent on all three, though.

One of my boys said that there were about 3 airlines that charged for the "extra" bag on the way back from the sandbox. However American Airlines gave him best service lately when he flew to Germany with family and his dog. Dog would have cost him $175 due to weight etc but they said "thank you for your service, no charge."

American, United and Continental have had second thoughts. What a coincidence. :rolleyes:

Delta Air Lines, American Airlines, United Airlines and Continental Airlines announced the new policies after Army reservists returning from Afghanistan had to pay more than $2,800 to cover the costs of their fourth checked bags on a Delta flight. Two members of the unit en route to Fort Polk, Louisiana complained of their plight on a YouTube video that went viral.

Delta Air Lines, American Airlines, United Airlines and Continental Airlines announced the new policies after Army reservists returning from Afghanistan had to pay more than $2,800 to cover the costs of their fourth checked bags on a Delta flight. Two members of the unit en route to Fort Polk, Louisiana complained of their plight on a YouTube video that went viral.

Sometimes ya just gotta love the internet.

Saw it on the news tonight. Delta is backing off charging Military for the 4th bag. They are offering to refund the soldier's money. Apparently they have a contract with the military where they get to check 3 bags free but the charge for the 4th bag. They were just going by the government contract. They have bowed to media and public pressure. At least somebody up the food chain at Delta is listening.

Are they so hide bound that they can't go beyond that and DONATE the room for the extra bag? The contract says they MAY charge for the extra bags, but nothing demands that they do so. Common sense goes out the window too often when contracts are involved, especially government contracts.

Archived