SASS Wire Forum

How Low Can He Go

Subdeacon Joe

As impressive as that is...I've actually seen Brit pilots do crazier $h!^ in Oman.

I was standing under the wing of our KC-10 when they did a low formation pass on the airfield and the outermost Jaguar was so low and so close that he passed his wingtip UNDER the wing of the KC-10 (DC-10).

I was impressed! And scared $h!tless at the same time.

There was some other crazy stuff during that airshow but those are strictly "bar stories"

Charlie

One wonders what his CO thought of that stunt.

As former flight instructor I would hope that pilot is identified and has his wings clipped for good; to say nothing of endangering himself and his aircraft the way he endangered those personal on the ground is nothing short of criminal.... but he will turn out to be the son of someone powerful in the government or military so I suppose he will get away with it... but if he is not grounded I will bet dollars to donuts that he will end up killing some one (and probably himself) eventually

As former flight instructor I would hope that pilot is identified and has his wings clipped for good; to say nothing of endangering himself and his aircraft the way he endangered those personal on the ground is nothing short of criminal.... but he will turn out to be the son of someone powerful in the government or military so I suppose he will get away with it... but if he is not grounded I will bet dollars to donuts that he will end up killing some one (and probably himself) eventually

Yup.

The German pilots did some crazy stuff also. In 1959 my outfit was buzzed by a air jockey from Lechfeld.

We had a large DZ located right behind our barracks at Gablingen Kasserne, where we trained.

The airborne guys from up north (505 PIR) would use the field for their jumps.

This dip stick came in from the east over the highway, power lines and tree line, dropped down lower and buzzed the field. We had to hit the deck and he almost hit some equipment we were using.

Some body got his tail number and that was the last of that.

I think he was still fighting WW II.

The German pilots did some crazy stuff also. In 1959 my outfit was buzzed by a air jockey from Lechfeld.

We had a large DZ located right behind our barracks at Gablingen Kasserne, where we trained.

The airborne guys from up north (505 PIR) would use the field for their jumps.

This dip stick came in from the east over the highway, power lines and tree line, dropped down lower and buzzed the field. We had to hit the deck and he almost hit some equipment we were using.

Some body got his tail number and that was the last of that.

I think he was still fighting WW II.

In '68 our Drop Zone south of Munich got buzzed by 2 Luftwaffe F104s. Skeert hell out of me. The Col. was mad as hell. SOBs were going too fast to get a tail number.

During the 1960s, the "Starfighter crisis" developed into a political issue, as many Lockheed F-104 Starfighters crashed after being modified to serve for Luftwaffe purposes — specifically for terrain, weather, and ground mechanic support issues. In Luftwaffe service, 292 of 916 Starfighters crashed, claiming the lives of 115 pilots and leading to cries that the Starfighter was fundamentally unsafe from the West German public, which referred to it as the Witwenmacher (widow-maker), fliegender Sarg (flying coffin), and Erdnagel (tent peg, literally "ground nail").

Back in '79 or '80 during a NATO Tac-Eval at Bentwaters in England we had one of those hot dog Luftwaffe 104 pilots buzz the field at about 1-2 meters. His big mistake was when he put on 90 degrees of left bank and began to climb but was still low enough to go between the security towers (1 at 60ft and 1 at 40 ft) of a PRIORITY "A" restricted area. That restricted airspace goes up to 50,000 ft not 50. Needless to say he was permanently grounded.

Su amigo;

Jack

Note the use of the spoilers to no effect on the top wing in an attempt to lower the it. Classic accelerated stall. Years ago I spoke to a BUFF pilot who said this guy had a long reputation for being a hot dog and that this crash was bound to happen.

Note the use of the spoilers to no effect on the top wing in an attempt to lower the it. Classic accelerated stall. Years ago I spoke to a BUFF pilot who said this guy had a long reputation for being a hot dog and that this crash was bound to happen.

I believe that during this flight he even had a senior instructor along to evaluate him due to his rep.

Too bad the crew had to fly with this guy. :angry:

Archived