SASS Wire Forum

This dadgum wind!

I'm gonna have to get new flags in a couple of days at this rate. :angry:

I'm hopin it backs off by July.

Are you saying the mistrals of Southern France are paying a visit?

No frogs, only dust. ;)

Any smoke in that wind Bob?

Yup. It's a lot clearer today I can see the Blues over in Utah. Must have shifted a bit. For the past week you could smell the smoke and between the smoke and the dust the sunsets have been blood red.

Yeh..Had to go out of Montezuma Creek on a service call Monday.Between the wind & smoke it was a miserble trip.That is one desolet place to be.Still have to go back but have to wait till the wind dies down.. Largo

We've had the haze but haven't really smelled smoke, but my sinuses and eyes know it's there.

It's been so thick my wife asked me if I was doing some burning the other day when I came in for lunch.

Dont sweat the small stuff UB ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Colorado Wind ain't small stuff. Neighbor's 4x4 childs swings/slide playset ended up 1/4 mile away in a pasture. Tore the roof - rafters and all - off a shed that had been standing since 1915 and carried it near as far. So far this spring we have had 30-some days with winds over 35 to 40 knots......other days it blew harder.

Not even talking about storms or tornados. Just wind.

Now if we could just have some moisture to add to the 1.15 inches we have had thus far this year.....

Funny thing ~ I love it here!

eGG

egg, I agree, I love it here but the wind is one thing I hate. I grew up in Boulder, yeah, I know, anyway high winds were common there and I saw more than a few roofs taken off by it, thankfully only after the fact.

I'm gonna have to get new flags in a couple of days at this rate. :angry:

I'm hopin it backs off by July.

Been really bad here too- VERY unusual for round here-

Bad enuff to keep me off the lake for the past 2 months!

Goin Friday tho- mabe

It gets pretty western shootin baloons in gale force winds.. Those little buggers are hard to chase down!! I got caught in a devil duster at EOT year before last in the run down.. Missed one balloon.. Had my eyes closed. It blew my glasses off and the balloons were swirling about like they were possessed!! Nope Didn't get a reride!!

It's been so thick my wife asked me if I was doing some burning the other day when I came in for lunch.

Incredible that smoke can travel that far, isn't it?

The AZ fire is now up to 389,000 acres and growing. My son has another 8 or 9 days of it ahead of him. (They work for 14 days and then it's mandatory 2 days off). They expect it to be a busy fire season this year.

Colorado Wind ain't small stuff. Neighbor's 4x4 childs swings/slide playset ended up 1/4 mile away in a pasture. Tore the roof - rafters and all - off a shed that had been standing since 1915 and carried it near as far. So far this spring we have had 30-some days with winds over 35 to 40 knots......other days it blew harder.

Not even talking about storms or tornados. Just wind.

Now if we could just have some moisture to add to the 1.15 inches we have had thus far this year.....

Funny thing ~ I love it here!

eGG

Gimme a break - sounds like ya got smaller balls than Bambi :lol: . If ya can't handle sustained winds of 30-50 knots go inside. I used to go camping in the Mojave Desert, Nevada, and Arizona where it would be very windy - sustained - all day, for multiple days blowing dust in our faces.

Again, when thinking about what other folks are going through with real damaging wind it all comes back to 'don't sweat the small stuff'

It do get a might breezy. When I lived in Florida we'd batten down the hatches when winds reached tropical storm strength - 39mph.

Here I just sit with a beverage and try to guess how many shingles the barn will lose. :lol:

Gimme a break - sounds like ya got smaller balls than Bambi :lol: . If ya can't handle sustained winds of 30-50 knots go inside. I used to go camping in the Mojave Desert, Nevada, and Arizona where it would be very windy - sustained - all day, for multiple days blowing dust in our faces.

Again, when thinking about what other folks are going through with real damaging wind it all comes back to 'don't sweat the small stuff'

I dunno gunner, I've met EGG and I don't think you want to be on his bad side! And besides, round these parts it's not un heard of to have winds in the 80+ MPH range and I've heard of recorded gusts over 100 MPH.

I dunno gunner, I've met EGG and I don't think you want to be on his bad side! And besides, round these parts it's not un heard of to have winds in the 80+ MPH range and I've heard of recorded gusts over 100 MPH.

Thanks for the 'warning' Grizz, but eGG and I don't have much of a relationship anyway. Can't agree with 'em all I reckon...folks will always disagree with other folks on things and he and I do more often than not.

but of course, 80 and 100 mph gusts are actually substantial more than what was said by the good 'amigo'.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ktholsten/knots_scale.htm

Thanks for the 'warning' Grizz, but eGG and I don't have much of a relationship anyway. Can't agree with 'em all I reckon...folks will always disagree with other folks on things and he and I do more often than not.

but of course, 80 and 100 mph gusts are actually substantial more than what was said by the good 'amigo'.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ktholsten/knots_scale.htm

As I said, "other days it blew harder."

And if I couldn't take a ribbin', I wouldn't hang out in the saloon.

Su amigo,

eGG

(who grew up on hurricanes, but they come and then are gone)

Well camping is just camping. Ya can always pull up stark. When ya live with it all the time there might be the occasional tendency to bitch about it.

I feel it's my right as a citizen of the Great State of Colorady. :lol:

Well camping is just camping. Ya can always pull up stark. When ya live with it all the time there might be the occasional tendency to bitch about it.

I feel it's my right as a citizen of the Great State of Colorady. :lol:

Downright breezy here today as well -- winds from the WSW at 7 mph. Almost put a chill on my coffee. :rolleyes:;)

Yup, I'm tryin' to get used to this durned wind out here, which will get on yer nerves..Especially if you're havin' to work outside in it all day..The smoke from the Wallow fire is another whole matter in itself, night before last Los Alamos looked like there was a heavy fog over the town..At least it smelled good..They could sure use some rain over in Arizona!

We could too, for that matter.. :unsure:

LOL...Yes UB sir, you may whine about the wind all ya want...you are free..Yes, I could have pulled stake...but I didn't...why?....because I knew the environment I was entering. I just put it out of mind...kinda like an adapt, improvise, overcome attitude...focused on enjoying where I was at and had enjoyed.

:) so, as was mentioned earlier...don't sweat the small stuff.

Now get out there and shoot...it more enjoyable ;

GG

In Germany they sometimes have a phenomenon called a Fohn wind which blows out of the Alps from Austria. It is not a strong wind like the SantaAna. More of a gentle breeze. But it blows in the winter and is a warm wind. :blink:

I experienced one once. Feels a little unsettling to be up to your butt in snow and suddenly have a warm wind hitting you in the face. According to studies, suicides and accidents increase almost 10% during a Fohn. The homicide rate goes up too.

Foe centuries it was thought to cause insanity and possession. People were rarely convicted of crimes during a fohn.

It didn't make me go crazy (yeah, I know) but I wouldn't care to go through it again. :unsure:

Okie and Sam can back me up on this one.

In all honesty 15 to 25 is about normal sumertime wind here in Oklahoma. If you can see blue between the whitecaps we call it a calm day.

A few years back we had a gust front come through the airport here in OKC. I was at work in the hangar. We had toolboxes over 300#'s actually start rolling before we got the doors shut. CAMI (Civil Aeromedical Institue) has a 747 on the ramp with the wings chopped off they use for a egress/human factor trainer. It broke the chains that were used to tie it down and that sucker spun into the wind like a weather vane. Weather service said we had over 20 minutes of 95 to 117 MPH sustained winds. I still have not found the kids trampoline.

We have had 20 plus MPH for the last 9 days.

Okie and Sam can back me up on this one.

I got yer back -- now where is my knife? ;) Yep, it felt weird to move to the Puget Sound area, where the wind rarely blows. In Oklahoma, 15-20 mph is a calm day -- time to go water skiing. We're planning on moving back to the wind in two or three years, the hill country of Texas.

Archived